The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Can someone help me out asap and clear my confusion regarding on How to correctly visualize and make a common origin for Time in Kinematics questions?

Say, If we take the traffic lights as the origin, how would I approach and think about it?

Such as this question:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
M1 June 2014 --> 65/75 raw marks = 92% = A* :woohoo::ahee::colondollar:
I felt that I should have scored 71/75 raw marks but mistakes are part of the process. You can't grow without them. :moon: (100% = 70, A* = 64, A = 58, B = 52, C = 46)

Mistakes & tips for future past papers:
- If a particle hits the ground its v/t graph should show a directly a parallel line into the negative region and making V(ms^-1) rise up for each bounces of the particle etc. (-1 mark)
- Remember to resolve up and then substitute into moments equation to simplify like terms.
- Q5(d) ---> If both particles are moving in the same direction 1 will be a scale factor of the other. Also, don't just use R = Ro + t(v) but also use v = u+at.
- RESOLVE THE FORCES QUESTION one by one in each order the question states the forces in the sentence of the question & tilt your head/draw more sketches to figure out the angles.
- When finding the greatest height of a particle, remember v= 0 and u = speed worked out in a earlier question.

I'll be recording every past paper score that I do and my overall notes/opinion on that past paper.

Past papers completed = 5/11. (edexcel regular + edexcel IAL)
[excluding x2 MAM pp + MAM Q's/Examples on topics I'm dropping marks on @ day before exam]

I doubt I'll have time for Madasmaths past papers given the exam is on Wednesday but as long as I understand my mistakes from all Edexcel+Edexcel IAL papers = x11 past papers I should be making good progress towards that 'A' in M1 I badly need. :puppyeyes:

Spoiler

What do you think of how I'm handling time wise for M1? Should I do a mixture of IAL 1-2 and 1-2 of MAM past papers or just do all of IAL past papers for tomorrow @day before exams. :confused:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 582
Original post by SaadKaleem
Can someone help me out asap and clear my confusion regarding on How to correctly visualize and make a common origin for Time in Kinematics questions?

Say, If we take the traffic lights as the origin, how would I approach and think about it?

Such as this question:

Spoiler

If the car is setting off 6 seconds later ,then you can think of its start time as being t-6 (relative to the bike). In this question we simply need two equations for the distance and equate them
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
M1 June 2014 --> 65/75 raw marks = 92% = A* :woohoo::ahee::colondollar:
I felt that I should have scored 71/75 raw marks but mistakes are part of the process. You can't grow without them. :moon: (100% = 70, A* = 64, A = 58, B = 52, C = 46)

Your grades seem good, I just thought I'd point out though that there is no such thing as an A* for M1. If you want an A* in maths you need at least 90% ums in C3 and C4 and 80% ums on average over the rest of the exams.

That being said looking at your grades so far, if you're this strong in the other units I'm sure you'll do well. :biggrin: Keep up the hard work. :thumbsup:
Hello guys, I really need your help.
I got 180/200 C34, 200/200 C12 and 89/100 S1 what should I get in M1 to get an A*?
Should I only get 11 marks ( which is a U) so as to reach the 480/600 mark or I should get an E or more in the paper so it could be counted? please help since each of my friends says sth different
Reply 585
Lmao with those results, you'd obviously be able to get A* man. I bet you can get a C for M1 without doing any preparation.
Original post by tiny hobbit
I suggest that you read the front of a paper, e.g. this one (although it's an IAL paper, this year's ordinary papers have the same front page):
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20Advanced%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Exam%20materials/WME01_01_que_20150603.pdf

Note that if 9.8 is used, you should not give a fraction as an answer, since that is exact.

Its funny because they allow answers in terms of 'g'
Reply 587
Hi can anyone help me with this question

The tension in the rope attached at C is double the tension in the rope attachedat A.
So this is 2C=A

Given that the tension in the rope attached at Q is three times the tension in the rope attached to P
Why is Q=3P and not 3Q=P ?
Original post by Marccs
Hi can anyone help me with this question

The tension in the rope attached at C is double the tension in the rope attachedat A.
So this is 2C=A

Nope, if the tension in the rope attached at C is double the tension in the rope attached at A, then C = 2A (2A means double A and that's what it says the tension in the rope attached at C is).

Given that the tension in the rope attached at Q is three times the tension in the rope attached to P
Why is Q=3P and not 3Q=P ?

The tension in the rope at Q is 3 times the tension at P in other words 3 * P ---> Q = 3P.
Can anyone help me with this question please?

ok.JPG
Reply 590
Original post by Don Pedro K.
The tension in the rope at Q is 3 times the tension at P in other words 3 * P ---> Q = 3P.

For the first part , this was the 2014 paper and 2c was equal to a ??
Original post by Marccs
For the first part , this was the 2014 paper and 2c was equal to a ??

I'm not sure what you mean by that...xD

ok.JPG

In a dead heat, the time (t) and the displacement (s) will b the same for both horses. Hope that helps

ok.JPG

Never mind I get it now
Reply 594
I'm not sure what you mean by that...xD

I mean you said C=2A but the answer for that question needed 2C=A , which is what I dont understand
Reply 595
What's the difference between a displacement vector, position vector and direction vector?
kik.JPG
Original post by Marccs
I mean you said C=2A but the answer for that question needed 2C=A , which is what I dont understand

Where does it say that?
Good luck guys hope you all do well.
In part b of this question, why do we assume that the particle reaches a maximum height and then comes back down?

lol.JPG
Anyone done M1 June 2015? Decent paper I thought.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending