The Student Room Group

why the **** are so many students here soo rascist

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elivercury
Again, Islam is a religion, not a race, so therefore it is not racism. Sure, being a pedant over terminology, but as soon as anyone is offended by anything these days they just start shouting it's racist. Called fat? Racist, called four-eyes? Super racist.

People are horrible on the internet and it is by no means limited to offending Muslims. I suspect a lot of the people saying the things you quoted also insult homosexuals, Jews and any other group that will get them a reaction.

I also think you largely underestimate the impact family has on the young, it typically isn't until we leave home that we form our own separate identities which differ significantly from those of our parents. Given this is a student forum, many have not gone to university or are in their early years of university, so give them time.

i do understand but if you are prejudice to a race, does that manifest itself into rascism against individuals practising the religion?? also i do not underestimate family for family is the most predominant form of information in which one believes, but i was just raising the point to say its not the only one. we have morals and if we do not show these 'confused' individuals that its wrong then it shall get worse, shall it not??
Original post by lascelles101
when you see people saying: muslims should go back to their own country
or
f**k the muslims
i think thats rascist! dont u???

No.

Islam is not a race. You can't convert to a race or be an apostate from it. It is a BELIEF SYSTEM.

If you ever wanted proof that the concept of "racism" has become meaningless through misuse, this thread provides it.

When everything is racist, nothing is.
yes but people say it in a rascist way. are they not discriminating against a relious, being prejudice towards them?? will this not directly lead to rascist views to any muslims they see??

I am sorry, but you seriously need to sort out your grammar.
Original post by tengentoppa
Didn't we have pretty much the same thread yesterday?

It was wide of the mark then, and it is still now. Quite aside from the awful English, you seem to be angered at a non-existent issue.

At the risk of sounding trite, criticising Islam does not equate to hating Muslims or being racist.

The general ignorance of the OP is quite remarkable though, so perhaps this is satire or a troll? If so, I'm afraid it went over my head.

i was not here yesterday so unfortunatly do not know.
i would love to see where i am being ignorant, if anything am i not bringing an issue to the surface.
Preach brother. I'm not a Muslim but I don't understand why many atheists attack Islam. Can't we all just keep our mouths shut and believe what we want?

Kmt everyone here is trying to prove each other wrong so that they feel good about themselves.

We've all met hundreds of Muslims throughout our lives and since we aren't dead yet then maybe not all Muslims are bad huh?

& although OP used the word 'racism' incorrectly, we all know what he meant so let's stop being pretentious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
i was not here yesterday so unfortunatly do not know.
i would love to see where i am being ignorant, if anything am i not bringing an issue to the surface.

The claim that Islam hurts no-one.
The claim that Muslims do not hurt people.
The claim that you never see Muslims attack Jews or Christians.
The claim that criticising Islam or Muslims amounts to a human rights violation.
The claim that criticising Islam or Muslims is not covered by freedom of speech because doing so infringes on the rights of Muslims.

All of these claims are demonstrably untrue, thereby making the OP ignorant.
Original post by Limerence.
Preach brother. I'm not a Muslim but I don't understand why many atheists attack Islam. Can't we all just keep our mouths shut and believe what we want?

Kmt everyone here is trying to prove each other wrong so that they feel good about themselves.

We've all met hundreds of Muslims throughout our lives and since we aren't dead yet then maybe not all Muslims are bad huh?

& although OP used the word 'racism' incorrectly, we all know what he meant so let's stop being pretentious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes the term rascism may have been brought slightly out of context, it would have been better to say prejudice. I admit that.
however all I can say is if you carnt ay something nice then don't say nothing at all. I agree with you
Original post by tengentoppa
The claim that Islam hurts no-one.
The claim that Muslims do not hurt people.
The claim that you never see Muslims attack Jews or Christians.
The claim that criticising Islam or Muslims amounts to a human rights violation.
The claim that criticising Islam or Muslims is not covered by freedom of speech because doing so infringes on the rights of Muslims.

All of these claims are demonstrably untrue, thereby making the OP ignorant.

please muslim cannot hurt anyone as its a religious term, people do
muslims are not attacking muslims/jews on here, unless u can show me
critizing islam/muslims is not a violation, but being predudice is, as well as being rascist/discriminatory towards Muslims does infringe the right to free speech as it is not supposed to be used to intentionally put another person or group down
Reply 28
I think this post may have gone over a few people's heads.
There is hating on Islam on TSR
Of course it's perfectly fine to criticise Islam, but what's not okay is going to a thread where muslims are discussing something such as Ramadan, and starting a fiery religious debate by criticising everything there is ever negative about Islam and bringing up the fact that extremists exists (just like in any religion) in Islam left right and centre and then being offended about your "freedom of speech being inhibited" when you're told you shouldn't do that. While there really aren't that many islamaphobes on TSR, tone is very very important and I along with many muslims on TSR have certainly have felt hostility coming from several users on this site, users who are "just exercising freedom of speech."

So in conclusion, if you wish to criticise Islam and/or have a religious debate in general: don't be an ******* about it. Take it to a thread that's dedicated towards debate.
It's just pathetic. A lot of people that dislike Muslims are also racist that's why they tell people to go back to their country. Pretty sad really, when you realise that people have nothing better to do on a student forum.
i do understand but if you are prejudice to a race, does that manifest itself into rascism against individuals practising the religion?? also i do not underestimate family for family is the most predominant form of information in which one believes, but i was just raising the point to say its not the only one. we have morals and if we do not show these 'confused' individuals that its wrong then it shall get worse, shall it not??

What "race" does Islam belong to exactly? Last I checked it was a belief system that someone of any race could subscribe to. Ergo it is not racist to disapprove of the religion.

Sure, there are assorted countries where it is the dominant religion, but those span multiple races themselves. So, no it is not racism in any way shape or form.

Also, if you want to try and correct the "morals" of every troll on the internet you're going to have your work cut out for you. It's an easy throwaway medium and as such people tend to post lazy unconsidered, or outright deliberately provocative posts even if that isn't necessarily what they believe. If they do genuinely believe, I doubt you're going to undo what their upbringing has taught them via a keyboard. Perhaps this sounds defeatist, but ultimately not everyone an subscribe to the same set of ideals and beliefs and they will always clash. The people you complain about are just at the extreme end of the spectrum, much as the terrorists they compare normal Muslims to are at their extreme end of their spectrum.
Original post by TimeTravel_0
It's just pathetic. A lot of people that dislike Muslims are also racist that's why they tell people to go back to their country. Pretty sad really, when you realise that people have nothing better to do on a student forum.

very true, but a lot of people are very picky about the work racism. it is pathetic, prejudice/racism if its too a race or a religion it does not matter. it is wrong.
very true, but a lot of people are very picky about the work racism. it is pathetic, prejudice/racism if its too a race or a religion it does not matter. it is wrong.

It is indeed pathetic.

We should be more respectful towards other people's religious beliefs.
Original post by Elivercury
What "race" does Islam belong to exactly? Last I checked it was a belief system that someone of any race could subscribe to. Ergo it is not racist to disapprove of the religion.

Sure, there are assorted countries where it is the dominant religion, but those span multiple races themselves. So, no it is not racism in any way shape or form.

Also, if you want to try and correct the "morals" of every troll on the internet you're going to have your work cut out for you. It's an easy throwaway medium and as such people tend to post lazy unconsidered, or outright deliberately provocative posts even if that isn't necessarily what they believe. If they do genuinely believe, I doubt you're going to undo what their upbringing has taught them via a keyboard. Perhaps this sounds defeatist, but ultimately not everyone an subscribe to the same set of ideals and beliefs and they will always clash. The people you complain about are just at the extreme end of the spectrum, much as the terrorists they compare normal Muslims to are at their extreme end of their spectrum.

the problem isn't circling around the word 'racism', and I have already admitted it was the wrong word, the word should be prejudice. I am only raising awareness about it and trying to confront these same people. when you say the people are just as extreme as terrorists, I understand where you come from, but it must be taken into consideration there people haven't killed anyone yet as far as I know, but yes they are extreme

muslims are not attacking muslims/jews on here, unless u can show me

Yesterday there was quite a respected Muslim member saying that "Jews will burn in hell with the "Anti-Christ" and supporting the site's resident Neo-Nazi in their usual Jewish conspiracies.

The thread has since been taken down.
Original post by Anonymous
Yesterday there was quite a respected Muslim member saying that "Jews will burn in hell with the "Anti-Christ" and supporting the site's resident Neo-Nazi in their usual Jewish conspiracies.

The thread has since been taken down.

well I am surprised to here this, this individual is obviously very confused. so we have one example, in contrast we have 100's for anti-islam.
should we not all just stop this and live in peace??
this is very true, but if we, as in the ordinary, caring peple do not rise up and speak then the things they are saying could manifest into something more

Definitely :smile: that is why I value people on this site who do care and want to advise younger people against racism and bigotry.
Original post by WhimsicalSloth
Definitely :smile: that is why I value people on this site who do care and want to advise younger people against racism and bigotry.

thank you. we are the change we want to see! as the late MJ said If You Wanna Make The
World A Better Place
Take A Look At Yourself, And
Then Make A Change
and that's what I wish to do
Why don't people stop getting offended so easily. Why do people have to cry about it though? Someone doesn't like your religion, so what?
no I am not Muslim, in fact I am a Rasta.

THE WORD RASCIST IS SIGHTLY WRONG!!! I WOULD CHANGE IT TO PREJUDICE

Muslims are not terrorists, or backwards thinking, they are just human beings like you and me and the person closest to you right now. So if they want to worship Allah in a mosque, and celebrate Ramadan and wear hijabs , then whats the problem. their religion is not hurting you! MUSLIMS DO NOT HURT PEOPLE, technically u racists break 3 human right --> article 1, 2 and 18 : Article 1 -- Right To Equality, Article 2 -- Freedom From Discrimination, Article 18 -- Freedom Of Belief . when do Muslims post Christian and Jewish hate posts.

people have the right to free speech and this is respected but you should use this freedom to infringe on other rights. there's no need to spread hatred or be disrespectful . its so bad ive seen people actimg like they are in the EDL.we are a multicultural country and if its so hard to be nice then please come off this website.
HAVE SOME DECENCY GUYS, LOVE AND CHERISH YOURS AND OTHERS LIVES, LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HATE AND BE HORRIABLE.
thank you

Islam isn't a race, you know black and white people follow it too, right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending