The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mollyadtr
i think there could be a possibility for the echr and a british bill of rights to come up in the judiciary section...then its linked to the eu but not necessarily specifically about the eu- maybe not an essay but the smaller questions

maybe 5 or 10 marker but not essay I don't think - they've never asked an essay question on bill of rights.
Original post by xxvine
what were your points?

Undemocratic & unelected = unaccountable, act w/o legitimacy such as blocking tax credit bill -> but Lords is more representative than Commons

Prevent governing party manipulating Lords to their interests -> assigning donors Peerages or rewarding loyalty = undemocratic use -> could go as far as having a majority in the house -> if elected prevented, but if it was elected then it would reflect balance of the commons

Further scrutiny to legislation as they have a mandate and would want to represent their constituents -> however could be a power struggle between the two like USA

Get rid of anarchic nominations -> 26 CoFE bishops = undemocratic -> multi cultural and diverse, the HoL having bishops is testament to an older time rather than now -> however we're still a CofE country so doesn't really matter

Overall the Lords works so leave it
have you guys revised how a bill becomes an Act?
Original post by popcornjpg
maybe 5 or 10 marker but not essay I don't think - they've never asked an essay question on bill of rights.

They've asked on HR though which could definitely come up (it has been a 40 marker)
Original post by xxvine

You don't need to know the specific procedures how it ping pong backs to commons/lords..just the basic passes through commons with majority, lords debate it and see if it needs amendments, once they pass it it has to get royal assent to become a law

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxvine

Green paper legislation, white paper legislation, read out in chamber where originated and they shout aye or nay -> 2nd reading where Commons/Lords, debate -> Public bill committee where they scrutinise it -> Report stage where committee reads reports to commons -> third reading vote
You don't need to know the specific procedures how it ping pong backs to commons/lords..just the basic passes through commons with majority, lords debate it and see if it needs amendments, once they pass it it has to get royal assent to become a law

Posted from TSR Mobile

is for and against a coalition gov part of our spec

Again the whole heywood book covers all the exam boards so some of the info is not needed
I have a feeling tomorrows paper will either be really nice or really horrible
Original post by xxvine
is for and against a coalition gov part of our spec

Again the whole heywood book covers all the exam boards so some of the info is not needed

That's more like a unit 1 but it would never come up now cause it's considered out of date with the 2015 election which produced a majority single party gov
Why would they give you that book if it doesn't have as much detail? The specific book for edexcel would have been a hell of s lot more useful

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's more like a unit 1 but it would never come up now cause it's considered out of date with the 2015 election which produced a majority single party gov
Why would they give you that book if it doesn't have as much detail? The specific book for edexcel would have been a hell of s lot more useful

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly

lack of text book may ruin my grade. I got to a good school but the allevel side is awful. Just so laid back its horrible.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/113753074X/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0230285627&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=17B3RTGR26NJGVVXN1P5
Thats the book we were told to buy because its written by the examiner
Original post by xxvine
Exactly

lack of text book may ruin my grade. I got to a good school but the allevel side is awful. Just so laid back its horrible.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/113753074X/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0230285627&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=17B3RTGR26NJGVVXN1P5

Wtf! Do you have the fourth edition? On the picture f the book on Amazon it's got 3rd addition, if you have 3rd you'll be lacking in even more knowledge

Posted from TSR Mobile
No 2015 sorry!
40 Mark Questions all combined
25 Mark Questions all combined (no sources but they're not super relevant to revise questions)
Is Belmarsh case a good example of Judicial activism?
Original post by xxvine
Exactly

In my opinion the hodder edexcel books by Neil mcnaughton are more useful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wtf! Do you have the fourth edition? On the picture f the book on Amazon it's got 3rd addition, if you have 3rd you'll be lacking in even more knowledge

Posted from TSR Mobile

we used the new one

with all the new election results...
Original post by alevelpain
Is Belmarsh case a good example of Judicial activism?

Damn right, or you can use another case about a prisoner using the hra principle of family to stay in the U.K rather than being sent back to his country where they would have tortured him. I can't remember his name but he argued his cat was his family 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxvine
we used the new one

with all the new election results...

Oh thank god at least it's got that in it, so you won't lack much, it's just the affect it covers both Aqa and edexcel :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by keirjohnharry
No 2015 sorry!
40 Mark Questions all combined
25 Mark Questions all combined (no sources but they're not super relevant to revise questions)

its so hard to predict what will come up

it could be anything tbh
Damn right, or you can use another case about a prisoner using the hra principle of family to stay in the U.K rather than being sent back to his country where they would have tortured him. I can't remember his name but he argued his cat was his family 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

so for parliament predictions are

2nd chamber reform
effective are back bench mps
how effect are parliament
parliament reform?
Original post by xxvine
so for parliament predictions are

2nd chamber reform
effective are back bench mps
how effect are parliament
parliament reform?

Or not specifically about 2nd chamber reform it might just be parliament in general...I have an essay plan for both though
Or you know what they could ask? Why is the hol becoming more significant I haven't seen that one come up a lot
Or a link between parliament and government question

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending