The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Surely it can't be on volcanoes again? that was last year
Original post by TJ_gym
What is the best MEDC earthquake to compare to Haiti Earthquake? I want a case study has clear comparisons between a developed country and less developed... I have Japan 2011 currently, however it doesn't show very effective comparisons..

Use L'Aquila 6th April, 2009
Original post by SJJ97
Peak🙄😂 what you predicting for D&G and W/C long
I'm feeling sustainable tourism, TNC's/NIC's and EU for D&G.Retailing, world cities, suburbanisation for W/C. Wbu?
Original post by pro-legend64
Surely it can't be on volcanoes again? that was last year

Yeah I thought so also so haven't even revised types of volcanoes -_-
Reply 1164
Original post by Luis Suarez
I'm feeling sustainable tourism, TNC's/NIC's and EU for D&G.Retailing, world cities, suburbanisation for W/C. Wbu?

Same!! Freaking out for 40 marker! What might they ask directly about suburbanisation?
Does anyone think urban weather (heat islands etc) could come up for weather and climate 40m? It's come up twice before but it's been a while
Original post by SJJ97
Same!! Freaking out for 40 marker! What might they ask directly about suburbanisation?

Reckon it will be an 8 marker on causes and impacts. Or 40 marker on all urbanisation processes perhaps. Yep the 40 marker is concerning me the most, if that's hard then I'm screwed because I'm already screwed on tectonics... Geography fully longs my life out, as soon as geog3 is over it will be the best day of my life
Reply 1167
Original post by Luis Suarez
Reckon it will be an 8 marker on causes and impacts. Or 40 marker on all urbanisation processes perhaps. Yep the 40 marker is concerning me the most, if that's hard then I'm screwed because I'm already screwed on tectonics... Geography fully longs my life out, as soon as geog3 is over it will be the best day of my life

Can you think of a sample question they could ask in terms of urban processes?
Thoughts on this answer for intrusive volcanic activity?

Not all magma reaches the Earth’s surface and thus it intrudes into the crust and cools to form plutons. Examples of Plutons include Batholiths, Dykes and Sills.
A Batholith is igneous rock which has formed and cooled in the crust in a dome shape to cover an area up to 100km2. These formed when magma cools and crystallizes beneath Earth's surface. Batholiths aren’t generally affected by the characteristics of the rocks they form on. An example of a Batholith is in Yosemite National Park, California which was formed around 80 million years ago.
Dykes are thin sheets of igneous rock intruded surrounding rocks vertically. Dykes are formed by when magma solidifies in a vertical crack or fissure forming a vertical sheet of igneous rock. Also many dykes can form at the same time and this is known as a dyke ‘swarm’. A Dyke’s length can reach over long distances. For example the Cleveland dyke runs from Mull in western Scotland to within a few kilometres of the North Sea near Scarborough.
Finally there are Sills which are an intrusion of magma that spreads horizontally along bedding planes through layers of existing rock and cools down. Sills may be exposed as steep slopes and can occur across a river valley which cause waterfalls and rapids. An examples Thompson falls in Kenya.
Original post by psychemma
Does anyone think urban weather (heat islands etc) could come up for weather and climate 40m? It's come up twice before but it's been a while

I'm hoping it will or else be part of the shorter mark questions as microclimate questions haven't really come up a lot at all.
I think it may be about the tropical climate and ITCZ stuff though or possibly climate of British Isles - don't really want any of those two to come up
Original post by tcameron
I'm hoping it will or else be part of the shorter mark questions as microclimate questions haven't really come up a lot at all.
I think it may be about the tropical climate and ITCZ stuff though or possibly climate of British Isles - don't really want any of those two to come up

Ooh I don't mind the climate of the British Isles really, it's going to be so stressful going into the exam and having to choose which 40 marker to do though
any predictions on the short answers (25 marks) on Plate tectonics and Globalisation?
and 40 marker on World cities?
thankss!
Does anyone have predictions for the ecosystems and world cities 25 markers? Also can anyone fill me in on
^^^ planning and management issues from the world cities spec, we've defiantly learnt about it I just need like a reminder.
Original post by TJ_gym
What is the best MEDC earthquake to compare to Haiti Earthquake? I want a case study has clear comparisons between a developed country and less developed... I have Japan 2011 currently, however it doesn't show very effective comparisons..

Kobe 1995
Original post by Fyiudtdtud
^^^ planning and management issues from the world cities spec, we've defiantly learnt about it I just need like a reminder.

Planning and management are just things like waste and transport management right?
Reply 1176

What for the 40 marker?
Reply 1177

Planning and management is basically issues that arise from urban processes. There are loads of different examples, for example the issues with housing caused by rapid urbanisation - e.g. slums in Dharavi and how this can be solved. You can also talk about transport and waste management strategies, as these are both seen to be the result of increasing populations. :smile:
Is magma bits of the mantle that have been melted by the core from radioactive decay which emits huge amounts of heat (convection currents) causing the melting of the mantle? Then this heat drives magma up through till it hits the crust, where it is cooler, causing sinkage and thus a convection cell until eventually the plates get pulled apart/pushed together?
Original post by tcameron

I'm kind of hoping urban climates on temperature and precipitation or wind to come up for short questions and anticyclones? Only hoping, not prediction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending