The Student Room Group

M1 hard moment question help please;(

Screenshot_2016-06-06-23-14-27.png hi I am stuck on part b as I don't understand where I have gone wrong.
Attachment not found
I have worked out what T would be and equate it with TQ found in part a but it doesn't work. Why is that. Also for part c, it is asking you to prove that x is less than 2 right ? For this I don't get why w can be equal to 0. How do you know when w can be 0 or not ?? Thanks so much . Also how do I answer c I am kind of lost.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by coconut64
Screenshot_2016-06-06-23-14-27.png hi I am stuck on part b as I don't understand where I have gone wrong.
Attachment not found
I have worked out what T would be and equate it with TQ found in part a but it doesn't work. Why is that. Also for part c, it is asking you to prove that x is less than 2 right ? For this I don't get why w can be equal to 0. How do you know when w can be 0 or not ?? Thanks so much . Also how do I answer c I am kind of lost.

For b) I agree with your answer but you can make it a bit nicer by multiplying top and bottom by 6 and factorising if you like.

Why do you think your answer is wrong? What answer is given?

For c, w must be greater than 0. Who says that w can be 0?

It would help if you posted the answers that you are looking at since you seem to be basing what you're saying on these answers.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by notnek
For b) I agree with your answer but you can make it a bit nicer by multiplying top and bottom by 6 and factorising if you like.

Why do you think your answer is wrong? What answer is given?

For c, w must be greater than 0. Who says that w can be 0?

It would help if you posted the answers that you are looking at since you seem to be basing what you're saying on these answers.

1465256412771434130295.jpg Screenshot_2016-06-07-00-41-32.png thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
1465256412771434130295.jpg Screenshot_2016-06-07-00-41-32.png thanks

Your answer for b) is the same as theirs. Have you tried simplifying it?

The answer for c) is wrong. It should be x<2x<2.

You can easily check that their answer is wrong by plugging in e.g. x=3x=3.
Reply 4
Original post by notnek
Your answer for b) is the same as theirs. Have you tried simplifying it?

The answer for c) is wrong. It should be x<2x<2.

You can easily check that their answer is wrong by plugging in e.g. x=3x=3.

When I simpilify my answer it's still the not same though. IMAG0234.jpgthe two equations give me different answers when I sub 1.2 into x for both equations. This is physics and maths s tutor s solution though, are you sure it's wrong? Thanks.
Reply 5
When I simpilify my answer it's still the not same though. IMAG0234.jpgthe two equations give me different answers when I sub 1.2 into x for both equations. This is physics and maths s tutor s solution though, are you sure it's wrong? Thanks.

You should have 30 on the bottom not 300. Check that again - it should be an easy mistake to spot.

You can then multiply top and bottom of your fraction to make it have the same form as the answer.

The solution you posted is from the M1 solutionbank. It often has mistakes.
Reply 6
Original post by notnek
You should have 30 on the bottom not 300. Check that again - it should be an easy mistake to spot.

You can then multiply top and bottom of your fraction to make it have the same form as the answer.

The solution you posted is from the M1 solutionbank. It often has mistakes.

Hi thanks I got the answer for b now but for part c it's w>0 so x<2? This is my answer .thanks
Reply 7
Hi thanks I got the answer for b now but for part c it's w>0 so x<2? This is my answer .thanks

That's correct.

The question actually says, "Deduce that x < 2".

So it's clear that there's a mistake in the solution.
Reply 8
Original post by notnek
That's correct.

The question actually says, "Deduce that x < 2".

So it's clear that there's a mistake in the solution.

Thanks for helping. I was confused when I see the answer. I know that for this kind of question that mg is always bigger than 0 but I don't really understand why they can't be 0 though.
Reply 9
Thanks for helping. I was confused when I see the answer. I know that for this kind of question that mg is always bigger than 0 but I don't really understand why they can't be 0 though.

You are told that a particle of weight W is attached to the girder.

You can't have a particle with zero mass. Then it's not a particle anymore, it's nothing :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest