The Student Room Group

Overwatch vs Paladins vs Battleborn

So far I've played Overwatch and Paladins. Overwatch, for me, is much better although I'm very aware that Paladins is still in beta and may still get better (but I'm not holding out too much hope.)

I like Paladins, but the maps are way too big. I can't be arsed faffing around with a mount just to get to some other players. I like the character designs, but I feel like there isn't much character. There's not much story, not like there is with Battleborn and Overwatch.

I'm enjoying Overwatch the most so far, and unlike with with Hi-Rez's Paladins, you can tell the company actually cares. There's nothing too in your face about the graphics, and the female characters are actually incredibly strong. The storyline and the effort they've put into it really makes the difference. The maps are great, as is the gameplay. I would like it if they introduced another game-mode or two, though. Capture The Flag or something, anything.

While I haven't played myself, I find Battleborn's graphics to be really in your face. The match lengths are also a lot longer. I like the idea of collecting currency in-game to spend on structures to help you progress, but I much prefer the shorter match length of Overwatch. I also feel like with everything going on on the screen, I wouldn't want to sit in front of it for more than a match or two. The graphics look amazing, don't get me wrong, but there's just so much going on. I really do love the design though.

Those are my opinions. What are yours?
To me, all three of the games have a very similar graphical style, personally I don't really care much about graphics.

I'm not too sure about Paladins, I haven't played the beta for it yet. But just looking at the list of 'Champions' and already I can see similarities between the abilities of the Champions and the abilities of Gods in Smite (Hi-rez's other game). To me it seems they've copied and pasted some abilities and edited a little here and there, they've even thrown in Sylvanus' stead from Smite, which raises alarm bells for me.

I quite liked Battleborn and some of it's characters were really nice to use (although some felt kind of useless), but the queues for multiplayer are horrendous (at least on PC), usually they're 1-10 mins, but they can go all the way up to 30 mins sometimes (some people have mentioned queue times of over an hour). It might be a consequence of the low population ( http://steamcharts.com/app/394230 ). Waiting around for one match after that long is a waste of time imo.

So far I'm pretty much happy with Overwatch, queue times are short, it's easy to get into, it's crazily fun with friends, and (most) characters feel awesome to use. It's kind of like they took a little bit of different FPS games and rolled into one in Overwatch.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Plasmapause
To me, all three of the games have a very similar graphical style, personally I don't really care much about graphics.

I'm not too sure about Paladins, I haven't played the beta for it yet. But just looking at the list of 'Champions' and already I can see similarities between the abilities of the Champions and the abilities of Gods in Smite (Hi-rez's other game). To me it seems they've copied and pasted some abilities and edited a little here and there, they've even thrown in Sylvanus' stead from Smite, which raises alarm bells for me.

I quite liked Battleborn and some of it's characters were really nice to use (although some felt kind of useless), but the queues for multiplayer are horrendous (at least on PC), usually they're 1-10 mins, but they can go all the way up to 30 mins sometimes (some people have mentioned queue times of over an hour). It might be a consequence of the low population ( http://steamcharts.com/app/394230 ). Waiting around for one match after that long is a waste of time imo.

So far I'm pretty much happy with Overwatch, queue times are short, it's easy to get into, it's crazily fun with friends, and (most) characters feel awesome to use. It's kind of like they took a little bit of different FPS games and rolled into one in Overwatch.

I know what you mean about Overwatch. It's so so fun with friends, and you get rewarded for playing in a group too. I feel like Battleborn is part game, part waiting around. Such long queue times is something I'd get frustrated with very quickly and I think it'd end with me getting bored of the game a hell of a lot quicker.
I haven't played them yet, but as soon as these exams are over, I'll be picking them up. From the gameplay I've been watching overwatch seems the best, but I will be trying out battleborn for the sole reason that is created by the people who made Borderlands; even though they messed up with aliens colonial marines, I hear that battleborn does feel a bit like Borderlands.
Problem with overwatch is that it doesn't look like it has much variety, so it may not last long. So I'm not sure if I should buy it before a sale.:dontknow:
Overwatch is amazing! I love it! <3
Overplayed Overhyped Overwatched.

I'm getting battleborn after my exams. Looks much better despite Overwatched being more popular
Overwatch , might try it looks good :O
Reply 7
Overwatch all the way, I'm currently going for top 100 Pharah on PC, currently at 286 but exams are over and the grind can begin :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest