The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wickedisgood
I'm gonna do childhood today but I'm not putting much focus on it, it's one of my last ones because I doubt it will come up. I did parental investment yesterday too, but I feel like that one is just a simplified sexual selection question honestly so idk what the point of it is meant to be.

Original post by EmmaAshton03
Does anyone know what the key arguments are for influence of childhood experiences on adult relationships? For example, Formation is Reward/need satisfaction and/or similarity theory. I dont have a clue what they are for childhood influences

Both childhood and sex differences were the last two questions and i strongly believe nothing will come up on these two, since there are other questions that are long overdue so i dont see the point in going over it.
I thought my revision was going well until I saw that example essay and realized I don't know this stuff in half as much detail as I need to..... yikes. Guess I better get back to working!
What actually happens in the exam do we get an answer booklet and a question booklet?

And the answer booklet do we just write the question number and then write the essay or?
I've never actually done a past paper lol just looked over it
Has anyone got any predictions other than just Loopa's? Like teacher's opinions etc.. Loopa is usually spot on but it'd be good to hear from someone/where else!
Need a pen that is smooth but not too smooth so my handwriting is readable, but the pen needs to be light and the weight distribution needs to be perfect for optimal speed, comfort and painless experience. The pen also needs to match the texture and surface of the pink question booklet which is likely made from a rougher much thicker paper which is why i am currently sat around 7 pens scribbling at a pink book determining the chosen one.
Original post by yung7up
Need a pen that is smooth but not too smooth so my handwriting is readable, but the pen needs to be light and the weight distribution needs to be perfect for optimal speed, comfort and painless experience. The pen also needs to match the texture and surface of the pink question booklet which is likely made from a rougher much thicker paper which is why i am currently sat around 7 pens scribbling at a pink book determining the chosen one.

Just use whatever is comfortable and what you're used to ;o
Original post by Marli-Ruth
What actually happens in the exam do we get an answer booklet and a question booklet?

And the answer booklet do we just write the question number and then write the essay or?
I've never actually done a past paper lol just looked over it

Yeah you get an answer booklet and write the question number down
Wait, is the exam at 9.00 or 2pm?
A question about the neural and genetic explanations of aggression:

In the neural explanation, we basically write that low levels of serotonin cause aggression as it can't control the aggressive urges from the amygdala blah blah blah... But in the genetic explanation, the faulty MAOA gene means that neurotransmitters such as SEROTONIN are not broken down or whatever so their levels therefore increase and cause aggression? Don't these both contradict each other or have I got this wrong...
Original post by katemate98

In the neural explanation, we basically write that low levels of serotonin cause aggression as it can't control the aggressive urges from the amygdala blah blah blah... But in the genetic explanation, the faulty MAOA gene means that neurotransmitters such as SEROTONIN are not broken down or whatever so their levels therefore increase and cause aggression? Don't these both contradict each other or have I got this wrong...

MAOA is responsible for the metabolism of serotonin, A faulty variant of the gene could result in low levels of serotonin so means if this gene is working high levels of serotonin and so reduce aggression
Original post by Marli-Ruth
MAOA is responsible for the metabolism of serotonin, A faulty variant of the gene could result in low levels of serotonin so means if this gene is working high levels of serotonin and so reduce aggression

Okay thanks! It's just that I've seen other people associate the faulty MAOA gene with HIGH levels of serotonin so I was confused.

I'm pretty sure MAOA regulates the production of serotonin, and if there is not enough MAOA it means less serotonin is being made and the low levels lead to aggression? Or at least that's what I was taught but idk
Original post by random4nia
I like to start off with AO1 so define any key terms and outline the essay topic. Then just write your AO2-studies or information that support/contradict the essay. For unit 3 i try to fit in about 5-6 and unit 4 6-8. If your essay topic is about 2+ things e.g. 2 theories of relationship formation then outline theory 1 first and put the evidence to go with it afterwards and then move on to outlining theory 2 and then the evidence. Always try to structure your essay so that the evidence matches what you just said in your AO1. Also with the evidence try to link it back to the title by saying how it does/doesn't support it. Hope that helped!

You write 5-6 pieces of evidence in 1 essay for unit 3? Surely that's way too many, I was told to write 3, or 4 if the studies are brief! How can you remember 5-6 studies for roughly 33 theories, that's like 165 studies!
I'm pretty sure MAOA regulates the production of serotonin, and if there is not enough MAOA it means less serotonin is being made and the low levels lead to aggression? Or at least that's what I was taught but idk

Yeah same that is actually what I got taught but I've looked around at other essays and some people have put that it causes high levels of serotonin so I got a bit confused haha. Thanks!
Original post by Mesosleepy
Wait, is the exam at 9.00 or 2pm?

it's half 1, not 2 :smile:
What time are people doing the exam?
Original post by bullseye1
You write 5-6 pieces of evidence in 1 essay for unit 3? Surely that's way too many, I was told to write 3, or 4 if the studies are brief! How can you remember 5-6 studies for roughly 33 theories, that's like 165 studies!

Exactly, it's crazy. But they really don't care lmao.
Does anyone think that a 4+8 marker could come up in the topics: Eating behaviour, Aggression, Biological Rhythms & Sleep as it has ever come up before in any of these topics? It's always been 4+16 or 8+16.
does anyone have a aggression essay for group display? im desperate lol
Okay thanks! It's just that I've seen other people associate the faulty MAOA gene with HIGH levels of serotonin so I was confused.

Yeah the books are really confusing about this. They say "MAOA regulates the metabolism of serotonin" which is confusing cuz of metabolism. But basically a faulty gene causes less MAOA which means less serotonin is made so causes aggression.

Latest

Trending

Trending