The Student Room Group

AQA english language exam 7/6/16

How did everyone find it?

I found that my time keeping f*cked up completely
I had enough time to finish question 6, but I found that I still didn't write enough (one side and a paragraph)
Also question 4 I accidentally analysed 'shoots' in the Bear Grylls source, which I'm not sure is allowed because it was in the sub-headline? (QUESTION 4 GUYS, THE LANGUAGE COMPARISON ONE, NOT QUESTION 2)

And question 3 is always a misery :'(
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
I DID SO BAD

I only answered questions 5 and 6 fully. Missed a couple questions from Section A and I only wrote for the Bear Grylls source.

Shoot me now -.-
I collapsed during my exam! I completed one whole question and was onto the second. Will they give me my predicted grade if I've applied for Special Consideration?
Original post by babymarima

I had enough time to finish question 6, but I found that I still didn't write enough (one side and a paragraph)
Also question 4 I accidentally analysed 'shoots' in the Bear Grylls source, which I'm not sure is allowed because it was in the sub-headline?

You can analyse from the sub headline. Most people did actually do that for question 4 (Those who did Source B at least)
Reply 5

Also question 4 I accidentally analysed 'shoots' in the Bear Grylls source, which I'm not sure is allowed because it was in the sub-headline?

I'm 99.9% sure you can analyse the language in the headline and sub-headline too :smile: Don't worry about it.
Reply 6
Original post by thearesx
I DID SO BAD

I only answered questions 5 and 6 fully. Missed a couple questions from Section A and I only wrote for the Bear Grylls source.

Shoot me now -.-

In the same boat, ain't looking too great at all, and am I the only one that found source 3's goddamn yacht terminology off putting, like tf is a white breaker? A sail? wth

Honestly, it'll be better than you think, if you've done 5 and 6 well thats 50% of your paper at a high grade.

Let us all pray for lenient examiners
Question 1 was quite terrible, but I analysed eight quotations as much as I could. Hope I made perceptive comments though..
Question 2 was quite good, ngl! :smile:
Question 3, as usual, was quite miserable BUT I wrote a lot and I "read between the lines".
Question 4 was okay but I only had fifteen minutes for it and didn't write a lot, only analysed 3 differences each.

Question 5 was good but I feel like I forgot to write about the "effect" it had on me. :colondollar:
Question 6 was good, but Idk, it didn't feel particularly "argumentative", more like MY OPINION on why the statement was wrong and trying to convince readers that I was right.

What about you all?
Reply 8
Original post by It's a Shame
I collapsed during my exam! I completed one whole question and was onto the second. Will they give me my predicted grade if I've applied for Special Consideration?

damn that's dramatic af. How come you collapsed? Are you alright now?

They'll defo have to consider giving you your predicted grade cos collapsing is definitely a good enough excuse, christ - I thought I was panicking lmao.
Usually I keep my timings pretty well but I spent too long on the first few and was left with only 40 mins to do questions 5 and 6. Although, I did manage to finish both my answers and fill up all the space available for question 6, so it might be alright :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jono-Wolf
You can analyse from the sub headline. Most people did actually do that for question 4 (Those who did Source B at least)

Original post by luciie
I'm 99.9% sure you can analyse the language in the headline and sub-headline too :smile: Don't worry about it.

NO WAY!!!!!!!! for real that will save my life if it's allowed, it's just because it specifically said 'text' so I was like sh*t I've ruined it all. But if not then yassssss, because my analysis for 'shoots' was pretty sick. Plus I only wrote 2 paragraphs, so I haven't got much to fall back on.
Reply 11
NO WAY!!!!!!!! for real that will save my life if it's allowed, it's just because it specifically said 'text' so I was like sh*t I've ruined it all. But if not then yassssss, because my analysis for 'shoots' was pretty sick. Plus I only wrote 2 paragraphs, so I haven't got much to fall back on.

Yeah, it asked to analyse the headline, sub-heading and image so you'll be fine! :smile:
Original post by keepyourapology
Question 1 was quite terrible, but I analysed eight quotations as much as I could. Hope I made perceptive comments though..
Question 2 was quite good, ngl! :smile:
Question 3, as usual, was quite miserable BUT I wrote a lot and I "read between the lines".
Question 4 was okay but I only had fifteen minutes for it and didn't write a lot, only analysed 3 differences each.

Question 5 was good but I feel like I forgot to write about the "effect" it had on me. :colondollar:
Question 6 was good, but Idk, it didn't feel particularly "argumentative", more like MY OPINION on why the statement was wrong and trying to convince readers that I was right.

What about you all?

you found question 1 terrible?! That's the only question I feel emotionally stable on. I was like using my economics skill to infer stuff and it was getting deep. But if you've made 8 points with your quotations, you're sure to get a good mark, because you've basically covered the majority of the points in the text.

I agree, question 2 was better than I thought it was gonna be

I dunno how you read between the lines for question 3, you must have skill because I could not even understand the basics of what the guy in the source was saying.

Yeah, question 5 I just sweeped in it's effect on me in my conclusion because ain't nobody got time to be getting deep inbetween paragraphs lmao

Question 6, basics the same as you, it felt more like an advertisement: I was just persuading people to travel etc, I can only hope it didn't get too informal
That was such a stressful exam!
Original post by itsJoe
Yeah, it asked to analyse the headline, sub-heading and image so you'll be fine! :smile:

hahaaha, no I mean in question 4, not 2, but speaking of question 2, i thought it was a bit cheeky that they tried to slide in the sub-heading as well, I rarely see that
Dont worry if we fail we will blame Mr Bruff
Original post by epage
Usually I keep my timings pretty well but I spent too long on the first few and was left with only 40 mins to do questions 5 and 6. Although, I did manage to finish both my answers and fill up all the space available for question 6, so it might be alright :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

FILL UP THE SPACE AVAILABLE IN QUESTION 6?? Damn, you must either have really big handwriting or be hella smart to be making so many points in a small space of time, well done b
Original post by Jamie Vardy
That was such a stressful exam!

but english always is
Original post by junayd1998
Dont worry if we fail we will blame Mr Bruff

Mr Bruff has more responsibility for my grade than my teacher does, or me tbh
but english always is

I wrote like four pages for the last question. Is that enough?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending