The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 26, 2016 and Depth - June 7, 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 4nonymous
When you have an answer for t you want to compare it in the given table. You need to always look at the p value of 0.05 (just ignore the others, IDK why but for biology you use this). Then you want to calculate the degrees of freedom= (n-1)+(n-1) where n is the number of data that you have. This will also be in the table and then you choose the value which is equal to both of those values. So for example, if your degrees of freedom is 26 and p=0.05 look across here and see where they meet. Then using that value there and your answer you can work out if the null hypothesis should be rejected.

If your t value is much greater then the two areas/habitats (whatever is being tested) are significantly different due to a biological factor and not due to chance
In this case you reject the null hypothesis.

Thats all you need to know.

Hey! I'm really panicking.. Can you please go over the specific immune bit with the T lymphocytes and B lymphocytes. I understand phagocytosis.
Original post by Cherx
Hey! I'm really panicking.. Can you please go over the specific immune bit with the T lymphocytes and B lymphocytes. I understand phagocytosis.

So after phagocytosis, the antigen is represented on the plasma membrane of an antigen presenting cell. This is recognised by T lymphocytes. The T lymphocyte with the complementary receptor to the shape of the antigen is selected (clonal selection). This then divides by mitosis (clonal expansion) and the resulting cells can then differentiate into other cells:
These include:
T-helper which uses interleukins to communicate with other cells and stimulates clonal expansion of B lymphocytes
T-killer which kills any infected cells hence destroying the pathogen
T memory which provides long term immunity
T regulatory which shuts down the immune response after the pathogen is dealt with.

Once the B lymphocytes are active they also divide by mitosis and can differentiate into the following:
B memory cells which provide long term immunity
Plasma cells which produce antibodies
Lol I though I could understand cardiac cycle a couple hours before the exam. RIP
Difference between humoral and cell mediated response?
Reply 1224
Could someone briefly explain phagocytosis and the macrophages stuff please. Would be very appreciated
Original post by OddFuturez
Lol I though I could understand cardiac cycle a couple hours before the exam. RIP

I posted what you need to know on the previous page or so if you want to take a look.
predictions for the two six mark questions today?
There is almost 100% chance that there will be stuff on the heart and enzymes in this paper as nothing about them was in the last paper.

Good luck to everyone.
Original post by KappaRoss
There is almost 100% chance that there will be stuff on the heart and enzymes in this paper as nothing about them was in the last paper.

Good luck to everyone.

Thanks! And good luck to you too
Original post by andy135
predictions for the two six mark questions today?

Some possibilities
Describe the 2 theories of enzyme action
How proteins are made
Cardiac cycle
Specific immune system

Or they could be stupid and tell us to write about a practical
Original post by asinghj
Some possibilities
How proteins are made
Cardiac cycle
Specific immune system

Or sampling method
Original post by asinghj
Some possibilities
How proteins are made
Cardiac cycle
Specific immune system

Thanks, yeah hopefully we don't get a practical question..
And are the two theories of enzyme action that youre talking about the induced fit and lock and key or something else?
Original post by andy135
Thanks, yeah hopefully we don't get a practical question..
And are the two theories of enzyme action that youre talking about the induced fit and lock and key or something else?

Yeah induced fit and lock and key.. At least one will pop up
Original post by 4nonymous
Or sampling method

I really hope so.. That's the easiest topic in bio
The exam actually went better than I thought it would go!

No cardiac cycle, no transpiration/translocation, no transport in plants, no immunology and no biodiversity!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Defo got a D lol
Original post by OddFuturez
Defo got a D lol

Same... Lmao
Original post by KappaRoss

Good luck to everyone.

I called it. the 6 marker was on the heart and lots about enzymes too.
I was expecting worse to be honest

Posted from TSR Mobile
i found it pretty easy

Quick Reply

Latest