The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Why is the East African Rift Valley causing Africa to expand?
Original post by Wing1130
I'm kind of hoping urban climates on temperature and precipitation or wind to come up for short questions and anticyclones? Only hoping, not prediction.

what do you think the 40 marker will be?
Original post by tcameron
what do you think the 40 marker will be?

Hmmm, I'm hoping to do the 40 marker on tectonics, if it's horrible then W&C.
I think, it could be on urban climates but I was thinking, I don't have any case study info on it. Storms was last year so don't think that'll come up, maybe global warming? I really don't know, what do you think will come up?
Reply 1183
Please can someone clarify an example of a urban process potential 49 mark question #stressingout
Original post by Luis Suarez
Why is the East African Rift Valley causing Africa to expand?

The lithosphere is diverging. Nubian and Somalian plates are being created as the Arabian plate is rifting away from the African plate along the divergent (constructive) boundary. The Nubian and Somalian plates will continue to diverge (the rift process) until the area in between (EARS) becomes thinner and drops to below sea level. This will eventually create a new ocean basin with its own ocean ridge, and the whole of east Africa will split from the rest of the continent
Hmmm, I'm hoping to do the 40 marker on tectonics, if it's horrible then W&C.
I think, it could be on urban climates but I was thinking, I don't have any case study info on it. Storms was last year so don't think that'll come up, maybe global warming? I really don't know, what do you think will come up?

the case study info for urban microclimates are basically just little facts of comparison to urban areas to more rural areas like temperature, wind speeds, precipitation levels and the variations within the urban areas i.e. average temperature in central London and average temperatre in the outskirts of London
Also the layout of buildings such as the Shard and Walkie Talkie building in London comparing it to a more rural area which may not have as tall building.
Then for the air quality is just your air quality management case studies you can use.
So not massive case studies just little little facts.
im doing tectonics, W&C, and world cities. Hoping to do tectonics 40 marker. I literally do not understand anything on weather and climate even the most simple stuff. any ideas?
the case study info for urban microclimates are basically just little facts of comparison to urban areas to more rural areas like temperature, wind speeds, precipitation levels and the variations within the urban areas i.e. average temperature in central London and average temperatre in the outskirts of London
Also the layout of buildings such as the Shard and Walkie Talkie building in London comparing it to a more rural area which may not have as tall building.
Then for the air quality is just your air quality management case studies you can use.
So not massive case studies just little little facts.

In that case, I really do hope its 40 marks!! But if not, it should come up in the structured questions hopefully

So anxious with selecting q's on thursday!!
In that case, I really do hope its 40 marks!! But if not, it should come up in the structured questions hopefully

So anxious with selecting q's on thursday!!

yeah I think urban microclimates is probably the easiest type of 40 marker to do
Otherwise I definitely plan to do a weather and climate rather than plate tectonics
Original post by WeLoveMedics
im doing tectonics, W&C, and world cities. Hoping to do tectonics 40 marker. I literally do not understand anything on weather and climate even the most simple stuff. any ideas?

what do you think the 25 markers will be on for world cities and weather and climate?
what do you think the 25 markers will be on for world cities and weather and climate?

0 clue
What's the difference between plate and crust?
Oh okay so could I talk abou Curitiba and how they've adapted? Along with the green dot and Denmark without waste? What would an planning and management issues question look like for around 10 marks?
Does anyone have any exemplar 40 marks essay to share?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is the lava at a hot spot acidic or basic?
Original post by Hesterrose
Is the lava at a hot spot acidic or basic?

by basic do you mean basaltic? because it's that at a hotspot
Can anyone please share some notes on planning and management? I have Dharavi but need some further studies. I am stressing out pls help

Posted from TSR Mobile
by basic do you mean basaltic? because it's that at a hotspot

yeh thanks
Original post by Luis Suarez
What's the difference between plate and crust?

Plates basically form the whole of the crust, but they also incorporate the upper part of the semi-molten magma just below the surface. So crust is just the outermost layer of the earth. But plates also include the upper mantle, so you'd call this the lithosphere, which is split into sections of 7 large and several smaller plates that move above the more fluid mantle below

Posted from TSR Mobile
after months of predicting, here are mine:
World cities 40 mark- Sustainability, retail and maybe planning and management although retail is more likely as it has only been up once as a 40 marker in 2012 I think. (urban processes would also be linked in these essays)
Development and globalisation - 8 mark LLEDCs, TNCs, growth of NICS, development continuum, growth of groupings of nations.
10 marker- sustainable tourism myth or reality, impacts of TNCS on host country and country of origin, impacts of groupings of nations, impacts of NICs.
40 marker- maybe LLEDCs.
Plate tectonics 8 marker- earthquakes, tsunamis, seismic waves, how seismic waves are measured,
10 marker- how seismic hazards are managed (PPP), intrusive landforms and extrusive landforms.
Any questions feel free to ask!

Quick Reply