The Student Room Group

WJEC Language 2016 official prediction thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous20000
So apparently Peta Bee is a woman and I wrote she was a he all the way through.
Other than that it was good, didn't really finish the last question for reading paper, I did but it was rushed so I only got 4 similarities and differences, should have more time for that paper. Liked the other questions though and the writing paper.

However the local Charity, I did cancer research because it was all I could think of, will that be okay??

It wouldn't even matter if you made up for the charity because the question wasn't testing you on your knowledge about local charities. They only expect you be creative and use your common sense, so cancer research should be absolutely fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bmagcse2016
It wouldn't even matter if you made up for the charity because the question wasn't testing you on your knowledge about local charities. They only expect you be creative and use your common sense, so cancer research should be absolutely fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Shouldn't matter about the charity I don't think! And seems everyone including me called Peta he/him 😩

I'm hoping my speech gains me a lot of marks
Original post by ConorConor
Shouldn't matter about the charity I don't think! And seems everyone including me called Peta he/him 😩

I'm hoping my speech gains me a lot of marks

I think the entire country called her a 'he' 😂 we won't be marked down on it though😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bmagcse2016
I think the entire country called her a 'he' 😂 we won't be marked down on it though😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank goodness! Hopefully we all do well!
Anyone know the full grade boundaries (or the boundaries for the separate units) for the WJEC English exams? Their website is kind of messed up...
I read local charity but I accidentally wrote internationally😩 Will that affect my grade? Cause I was like 'let's help out friends on the other side of the world' or whatever
Did everyone do the report in 1st person or 3rd person? Or a mixture?
Original post by notarealname2000
Anyone know the full grade boundaries (or the boundaries for the separate units) for the WJEC English exams? Their website is kind of messed up...

I've had a look at the WJEC grade boundaries for last year, and I think they look like this:

Unit 1 (Reading) -
A* - 27/40
A - 23/40
B - 19/40
C - 15/40
D - 11/40
E - 9/40

Unit 2 (Writing) -
A* - 29/40
A - 25/40
B - 21/40
C - 18/40
D - 15/40
E - 13/40

I think these are correct, but they do seem quite low. These were 2015's boundaries though so they will probably change. Hope that helped.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ConorConor
Did everyone do the report in 1st person or 3rd person? Or a mixture?

I did first person because it asked about MY opinion I think, or to give MY views on it. I doubt it mattered first or third person though (I did talk about the students in third person though, nt making it clear that I was one).
Original post by zeldor711
I did first person because it asked about MY opinion I think, or to give MY views on it. I doubt it mattered first or third person though (I did talk about the students in third person though, nt making it clear that I was one).

Fair enough, I mainly wrote in 1st as you said it asked for your views etc.

Looking at Twitter isn't a good idea as everyone keeps saying contradictory stuff haha 😅
Original post by Ed_E
I've had a look at the WJEC grade boundaries for last year, and I think they look like this:

Unit 1 (Reading) -
A* - 27/40
A - 23/40
B - 19/40
C - 15/40
D - 11/40
E - 9/40

Unit 2 (Writing) -
A* - 29/40
A - 25/40
B - 21/40
C - 18/40
D - 15/40
E - 13/40

I think these are correct, but they do seem quite low. These were 2015's boundaries though so they will probably change. Hope that helped.

In 2014 both units had grade boundaries for A* at 30/40, so hopefukly we'll see something inbetween 2014 and 2015 this year. I actually found the paper quite easy, especially the writing. Would have liked to have spent more time on the reading but it's quality not quantity :smile:
What charities did everyone choose/make up? I made up the THO (Teenager Help Organisation) cause I wanted to try and make my class relate lol
I can't tell f I'm happy or not lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ed_E

Unit 1 (Reading) -
A* - 27/40
A - 23/40
B - 19/40
C - 15/40
D - 11/40
E - 9/40

Unit 2 (Writing) -
A* - 29/40
A - 25/40
B - 21/40
C - 18/40
D - 15/40
E - 13/40

Thank you for this, wow they're pretty low compared to what thought. Our school told us that an average of 13 on both writing tasks would scrape you a B.
Original post by notarealname2000

https://www.wjecservices.co.uk/MarkToUMS/default.aspx?l=en
Original post by LivMalseed
Out of all 7 or 8 texts, I find the report and informal letter the easiest to do. Gutted when speech came up, I hate doing speech. Didn't get a chance to do it anyway..

Hopefully 25-30 out of 80 is a C.. Highly unlikely but I'm hoping so bad that it is haha

What did you get on your coursework? Maybe that will pull it up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous20000
So apparently Peta Bee is a woman and I wrote she was a he all the way through.
Other than that it was good, didn't really finish the last question for reading paper, I did but it was rushed so I only got 4 similarities and differences, should have more time for that paper. Liked the other questions though and the writing paper.

However the local Charity, I did cancer research because it was all I could think of, will that be okay??

How do you know Peta was a woman?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jade_on_tsr
How do you know Peta was a woman?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nevermind I found her Twitter 😑😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
It doesn't matter whether Peta's a woman or man. The examiner won't judge you on that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SophFlorence
It doesn't matter whether Peta's a woman or man. The examiner won't judge you on that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey basically, you seem really clever and stuff
But I accidentally wrote it was an internationally charity instead of local. Will I get marked down because I misread the question? I'm so nervous! And I think my handwriting was terrible for the speech one. And I wasn't able to check and now I'm really really worried.

Quick Reply

Latest