The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

during formation of hotspots
is magma plume and mantle plume the same thing? I have these two words on different notes and not sure which is correct
Original post by georgias98
after months of predicting, here are mine:
World cities 40 mark- Sustainability, retail and maybe planning and management although retail is more likely as it has only been up once as a 40 marker in 2012 I think. (urban processes would also be linked in these essays)
Development and globalisation - 8 mark LLEDCs, TNCs, growth of NICS, development continuum, growth of groupings of nations.
10 marker- sustainable tourism myth or reality, impacts of TNCS on host country and country of origin, impacts of groupings of nations, impacts of NICs.
40 marker- maybe LLEDCs.
Plate tectonics 8 marker- earthquakes, tsunamis, seismic waves, how seismic waves are measured,
10 marker- how seismic hazards are managed (PPP), intrusive landforms and extrusive landforms.
Any questions feel free to ask!

world cities short markers?
Original post by jordanwheeler2
Plates basically form the whole of the crust, but they also incorporate the upper part of the semi-molten magma just below the surface. So crust is just the outermost layer of the earth. But plates also include the upper mantle, so you'd call this the lithosphere, which is split into sections of 7 large and several smaller plates that move above the more fluid mantle below

Posted from TSR Mobile

do the plates flow on the molten asthenosphere or lithosphere
The only possible tectonics 40 marker i can think of would be plate theory or earthquakes and tsuamis cannot really see it being volcanoes again
Original post by WeLoveMedics
do the plates flow on the molten asthenosphere or lithosphere

Lithosphere is the crust / rigid part of the upper mantle, asthenosphere is the rest of the mantle below, so the plates flow on the asthenosphere
does anyone have weather and climate or world cities notes they would like to share :smile: thanks
Does anyone have any predictions for the essays?
Original post by tcameron
during formation of hotspots
is magma plume and mantle plume the same thing? I have these two words on different notes and not sure which is correct

Magma plume. Basically radioactive elements from deep in the mantle rise up to the surface as a plume of magma. So yeah magma plume is right, and this plume just rises up through the mantle before breaking through the surface

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any good World Cities retailing case studies?
Also in the past question 'urbanisation in both the developing and the developed world is unsustainable (40 marks) - would I be okay to refer to suburbanisation and counter-urbanisation in developed nations (referring to issues with inner city decline etc), or is this question only referring to the movement of people INTO urban areas? Thank you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1209
World cities 40 mark- Sustainability, retail and maybe planning and management although retail is more likely as it has only been up once as a 40 marker in 2012 I think. (urban processes would also be linked in these essays)
Development and globalisation - 8 mark LLEDCs, TNCs, growth of NICS, development continuum, growth of groupings of nations.
10 marker- sustainable tourism myth or reality, impacts of TNCS on host country and country of origin, impacts of groupings of nations, impacts of NICs.
40 marker- maybe LLEDCs.
Plate tectonics 8 marker- earthquakes, tsunamis, seismic waves, how seismic waves are measured,
10 marker- how seismic hazards are managed (PPP), intrusive landforms and extrusive landforms.

Would that be the decentralisation of retailing!
NIC's have come up last year and the year before (specifically China and India!)
And TNC came up 2013/14??? But thabkyou!! Will DEFFO revise these!
40 marker- maybe LLEDCs.

What could an Ledc 40 mark q look like?
Original post by tcameron
Kobe 1995

Have u got any notes on it?
Original post by lulus1
What could an Ledc 40 mark q look like?

Something about the problems they face and whether they can solve them on their own or with assistance from other countries- a debate between the two!i think this essay would be amazing!
Original post by pro-legend64
Use L'Aquila 6th April, 2009

Do you have any notes on it by any chance?
Something about the problems they face and whether they can solve them on their own or with assistance from other countries- a debate between the two!i think this essay would be amazing!

Can you give an example of an LLDC being able to develop by itself without the help of MEDCs? I can't find anything!
Original post by TJ_gym
Have u got any notes on it?

Kobe: 1995
Facts:
magnitude 7.2
depth of focus = 16km
time of day = 5:54 am - this is significant
cause: philippines plate subducting beneath the eurasian plate - complex setting of Japan's landmass meant the fault line wasn't previously discovered
GNI at the time = $3.5 trillion
population size = 1.9 million people

Impacts:
5502 deaths.
300,000 homeless.
4900/5502 deaths were in residential areas where only 7% of people had earthquake insurance - the earthquake was in the early morning where majority were asleep and so in their homes.
26 sections of hanshin expressway road toppled over - few deaths here due to it being early morning where less would have been on the road - potential for more economic impacts and death should the earthquake had occurred during the day.
$114 billion of damage.
liquefaction at the port resulted in flooding - the port was built on reclaimed land which was already saturated and so liquefaction was an expected secondary hazard.

Responses:
did not need any international aid
search and rescue teams sent out immediately
the hanshin expressway was rebuilt
updated building codes so that more houses had shock obsorbers and built with steel frames (which have a higher strain limit) and carbon fibres which can absorb energy of the earthquake released
by law, all the gas stations now need to stock have emergency supplies and aid
port rebuilt after one year

Speed of recovery:
most of Kobe back in recovery after 6 months
Does anyone have an example of a planning and management question for world cities? (10 marker)
Original post by Lavender26
Can you give an example of an LLDC being able to develop by itself without the help of MEDCs? I can't find anything!

a problem faced is HIV/AIDS- sub saharan Africa. richer countires provided help by the Global fund, eg providing condoms to stop the spread etc. However, this can all be prevented if the right education was put in the country in the first place. BUT, perhaps this problem needs help from richer countries, eg the medical assistance to physically stop it, but the right education needs to be introduced to stop the stigma etc
Reply 1218
NIC came up last year ... Specifically India
Year before... Specifically China and as the 10 marker as new markets/ 21st centuary growth

Is it likely to appear again?

If you have time could you please post an essay plan for this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending