The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by popcornjpg
as said earlier, the chances of it being sovereignty are incredibly slim

- sovereignty was the question for constitution last year
- democracy question was related to sovereignty - EU, quasi-federalism

constitutional reforms came up 2 years ago so probably not that either

Oh crumbs I just wrote a 40 mark essay plan for constitutional reforms since 1997! Sigh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Assess various electoral systems came up 2 years ago, wouldn't rule it out in regards to constitutional change
Reply 322
I missed loads of school this year and have lots of gaps in knowledge but have an decent understanding, just missing specifics. Been revising Constitution and Parliament and gonna have a look at PM as a back up. But i have a few questions:

1. What do you think is the best way to cover the content between now and then?

2. What are the key areas to revise?

3. People have posted essay plans, but how do you expand on the points given?

Thanks!
Original post by Louise12307
Oh crumbs I just wrote a 40 mark essay plan for constitutional reforms since 1997! Sigh
Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry about that, I'm doing the same just in case, but simply the chances of it coming up are slim

Original post by alevelpain
Assess various electoral systems came up 2 years ago, wouldn't rule it out in regards to constitutional change

The question was on proportional electoral systems only though and it was 4 exams ago since it was a January paper. This was 1 exam ago. No way man. If a sovereignty question comes up I will eat a hat.
Original post by alevelpain

They did reforms in 2012 and 2013 so who knows.
Could someone re-confirm the topics that might come up for Constitution, PM and Cabinet and Parliament? Much appreciated!! :smile:

I'm so unprepared for this exam, I'm only doing brief notes now for all three topics! Does anyone have advice as to how I should be effective with my time? Should I plan questions or make notes? Pls help :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Student 1305
Could someone re-confirm the topics that might come up for Constitution, PM and Cabinet and Parliament? Much appreciated!! :smile:

I'm so unprepared for this exam, I'm only doing brief notes now for all three topics! Does anyone have advice as to how I should be effective with my time? Should I plan questions or make notes? Pls help :smile:

I have problems with my timing too! My friend does the 40 mark questions first then the 25 mark then the 10 with the 5 mark last. She manages to finish on time or a couple of minutes before we finish. The fact she's working on A grade on politics I think I need to copy her tactic.

As the 40 mark is worth half the number of marks and many people do not do so well because they lost time, you should start on the 40 mark first. But if you like doing the easiest questions first, start with those then do the hardest questions later.
Original post by jxssamy
What's the difference between Convention and Common Law concerning sources of the UK's constitution?

ey ey look who it is :wink: well i have absolutely no clue jess so once again youre more prepared than me ahah!! x
Don't worry about that, I'm doing the same just in case, but simply the chances of it coming up are slim

The question was on proportional electoral systems only though and it was 4 exams ago since it was a January paper. This was 1 exam ago. No way man. If a sovereignty question comes up I will eat a hat.

The paper yesterday was assess the merits of various electoral systems lol :tongue: definitely not sovereignty but constitutional changes could come up
Could someone tell me the 2015 questions? Edexcel are such idiots for not posting it until the 2016 exam has been finished.
Original post by Defraction
I have problems with my timing too! My friend does the 40 mark questions first then the 25 mark then the 10 with the 5 mark last. She manages to finish on time or a couple of minutes before we finish. The fact she's working on A grade on politics I think I need to copy her tactic.

As the 40 mark is worth half the number of marks and many people do not do so well because they lost time, you should start on the 40 mark first. But if you like doing the easiest questions first, start with those then do the hardest questions later.

Thank you so much! Timing for Unit 1 was awful but I hope unit 2 will be better :smile: Im only making my revision notes today though..
What would you recommend I do? Should i continue making notes? What would be more effective? Thank you! :smile:

The downside of that method being that you may accidentally spend far too long on the 40 marker and have no time for the other section.

IMO there isn't really any ideal way to deal with time management other than to constantly be checking the clock - this is what I do in the exam, look up at least every 5 minutes.

And be realistic. Don't start a new paragraph when you have 3 minutes left.
Reply 332
Predictions for source/essay questions for parliament and constitution??
Original post by Student 1305
Thank you so much! Timing for Unit 1 was awful but I hope unit 2 will be better :smile: Im only making my revision notes today though..
What would you recommend I do? Should i continue making notes? What would be more effective? Thank you! :smile:

I'm not so sure if making notes would be effective right now. I'm currently looking at past papers, examiner reports and mark schemes to get a feel of what the examiner wants from us and what type of questions came up which might help me think of what questions might come up. It's all up to you, whatever tactic helped you in Unit 1 will definitely help you in Unit 2.

I hope you do well!
The downside of that method being that you may accidentally spend far too long on the 40 marker and have no time for the other section.

IMO there isn't really any ideal way to deal with time management other than to constantly be checking the clock - this is what I do in the exam, look up at least every 5 minutes.

And be realistic. Don't start a new paragraph when you have 3 minutes left.

Yeah, I guess. How is revision going for you?
Yeah, I guess. How is revision going for you?

Just fine, you? I haven't done all that much today but I'm starting to plan now.

It's a good thing this exam is in the afternoon, leaves time to go over essay plans and wake up a bit later.

Advantages of elections came up 2 years ago but stil appeared this year so who knows lol
I'm not so sure if making notes would be effective right now. I'm currently looking at past papers, examiner reports and mark schemes to get a feel of what the examiner wants from us and what type of questions came up which might help me think of what questions might come up. It's all up to you, whatever tactic helped you in Unit 1 will definitely help you in Unit 2.

I hope you do well!

Mehhh I did the same for Unit 2 and I messed up :/ I think I'll take the topics they mention and plan questions and make brief notes on them
My plan was to finish all my notes and revision today and learn it all tomorrow and the morning of the exam - I work pretty well under pressure so hopefully it'll save me ;')
Thank you so much for your advice and time! I wish you all the best :smile:

Im gonna buy a hat lol
But hope you're right. Really don't want that to come up
Just fine, you? I haven't done all that much today but I'm starting to plan now.

It's a good thing this exam is in the afternoon, leaves time to go over essay plans and wake up a bit later.

Maybe they realised we need a more time to prepare for an awful unit. I wish we can only pick 1 question instead of 2.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending