The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
Only if vectors are involved.

Am I right in saying that if it says find the magnitude in a question that isn't about vectors, do you find the size/value of whatever it is that you've been asked to find the magnitude of?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thelegend99
I'll have a go at them, thanks! Any others you recommend?

Trying Jan 2014 IAL at the moment, and it definitely isnt easy so that might be a shout.
Original post by Clovers
Am I right in saying that if it says find the magnitude in a question that isn't about vectors, do you find the size/value of whatever it is that you've been asked to find the magnitude of?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.
Reply 703
Original post by Zacken
Yes.

when you say magnitude cant i use F=MA if the weight is given
and is M the weight or mass?
Original post by djmans
when you say magnitude cant i use F=MA if the weight is given
and is M the weight or mass?

What are you talking about.

Take moments about D making sure to remember that the distance will be the length from one corner to the other corner (use Pythagoras to find the length of the diagonal).
Well, I'm in quarantine tomorrow, so much fun...
Original post by Exams987
anyone got predilections of what is likely to come up ?

i would always expect a big pulley question. First question is usually collissions.
And you would expect either one big vector question or a small vector question and a medium vector question
how long does it usually take for you to complete the M1 exam, do you have a lot of spare time to check your answers?
Reply 710
Original post by Zacken
What are you talking about.

i am not sure which paper it was but it asked to find the resultant magnitude i think, mass was given and above that acceleration is supposed to be found
and F=MA was used
Original post by KloppOClock
how long does it usually take for you to complete the M1 exam, do you have a lot of spare time to check your answers?

About 30-40 minutes iirc.

Can someone explain how the answer to part a) is (6i + 8j)?
Original post by KloppOClock
i would always expect a big pulley question. First question is usually collissions.
And you would expect either one big vector question or a small vector question and a medium vector question

I would prefer no vectors but I don't think that's gonna happen XD
Original post by Don Pedro K.
I would prefer no vectors but I don't think that's gonna happen XD

why? they're my second favourite
Original post by NickLCFC

Can someone explain how the answer to part a) is (6i + 8j)?

You have to draw a diagram and stuff its complex check mark scheme

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 717
I can find the moments for the others but i don't know what to do with X. i worked out that its length is 2root2 but then how do i find its moment, multiply by 2 to get the distance of X from D? i.e. my question is how to get the moment of X?
Original post by AlvlVictim
You have to draw a diagram and stuff its complex check mark scheme

I've checked the mark scheme and I can't really make sense of it.

Reply 719
For resolving forces questions is it ok to annotate the diagram? Or do you have to draw a new one out? Basically will you lose marks if you do your working on the diagram given?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending