The Student Room Group

GCSE English aqa

I got an A in my English GCSE coursework which is worth 40% of the final grade; what is the minimum grade I can get on the exam to pass with a C? Thanks :smile:
Original post by vp38
I got an A in my English GCSE coursework which is worth 40% of the final grade; what is the minimum grade I can get on the exam to pass with a C? Thanks :smile:

To get a C overall you need roughly 87 marks. If you already have 65 or more, then you only need about 22 marks in your exam to get a C.

However if you already got an A in your coursework I'm sure you'll be able to get really good marks in the exam, don't worry! :smile:

(I got the grade boundaries from here: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCSE-GDE-BDY-JUNE-2015.PDF - they're last year's ones).
Reply 2
Thank you :smile: Yes, I got 67 in my coursework, so I only need around 22 to get a C overall?
Pretty much! Although you do have to take into account the fact that the exam is worth more than the coursework (I kinda forgot about that earlier), so maybe a few marks more, but not much :smile:
Reply 4
I got a B in my English course work and how many marks do I need to get C for a foundation paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ovoreece
I got a B in my English course work and how many marks do I need to get C for a foundation paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

C in foundation is about 53 marks :smile:
Reply 6
Do you think 35 marks, which is a D, are enough? :smile:
Original post by vp38
Do you think 35 marks, which is a D, are enough? :smile:

If you've already got an A, then I would think that would definitely be enough to get a C, yeah :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by examtime123
If you've already got an A, then I would think that would definitely be enough to get a C, yeah :smile:

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 9
To get a C in foundation you need 53 marks and does these 53 marks include course work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
To get a C in foundation you need 53 marks and does these 53 marks include course work?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, you need 53 marks in the exam, in addition to at least 47 marks in your coursework to get a C overall :smile:
Reply 11
Help I got B in my course work but I didn't write my sectionB, don't think I've managed to get a C

Posted from TSR Mobile
Help I got B in my course work but I didn't write my sectionB, don't think I've managed to get a C

Posted from TSR Mobile

The minimum you need for a B in coursework is 56, so let's say you got that. If you got full marks in section A that would give you 40 marks, so 96 overall. You need a bit over 87 to get a C so you MIGHT still be able to get a C if you got higher in your coursework (a B is between 56 and 65), if you did well in section A, or particularly if the grade boundaries go down a bit! I wouldn't worry about it too much; it's done now! :smile:
So, I thought I did well in the exam, BUT I wrote an article for question 6, not a letter :'(. How many marks do you think this will put me down? Will I automatically put into band 2?
Original post by Billyalan
So, I thought I did well in the exam, BUT I wrote an article for question 6, not a letter :'(. How many marks do you think this will put me down? Will I automatically put into band 2?

If you wrote it really well aside from that, then you'd probably only lose a couple of marks for not matching form...it shouldn't be too bad.
Original post by examtime123
If you wrote it really well aside from that, then you'd probably only lose a couple of marks for not matching form...it shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks! So it only effects the mark within a band- not the band itself
Original post by Billyalan
Thanks! So it only effects the mark within a band- not the band itself

I think so!
Original post by examtime12i3

Did it have to be a formal letter format?
If I got a D in this exam and a medium B in my CA, can I still get a C overall?
Original post by MaddieEdgoose
Did it have to be a formal letter format?

I believe so, but I don't think it matters to much (i.e. you won't lose many marks if it isn't).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending