The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465309844.430248.jpg
Would you be able to check my reasoning for the first part of q4? I believe my reasoning is correct but slightly different to the ms.
@jjsnyder

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EnglishMuon

Would you be able to check my reasoning for the first part of q4? I believe my reasoning is correct but slightly different to the ms.
@jjsnyder

2015 Paper 1 Q4, yes? Seems like a sound argument to me.
@jjsnyder

Posted from TSR Mobile

I enjoyed that Q :smile:. Last part was a lot shorter than I expected though.
Original post by MathHysteria

@jjsnyder

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your reasoning is slightly flawed without further justification. What you can claim is that the curve has a parameterisation of the form x=2tant,y=tan2tx=2\tan t, y= \tan ^2 t, where 0t<π/20\leq t < \pi/2 - but this is certainly not unique. In this particular parameterisation, why must this parameter tt be related to θ\theta as you've defined it?
Original post by IrrationalRoot
I enjoyed that Q :smile:. Last part was a lot shorter than I expected though.

I enjoyed all three of last year's papers (besides a couple of awkward questions). Looking forward to trying the 2016 papers soon.

(Of course, I don't have the pressure of doing them under exam conditions, so I get to relax as I do them - lucky me! Mind you, my policy on exams has been guided by a friend of mine from my undergraduate days, who said "How often is it that someone gives you a booklet of interesting questions and promises nobody is going to disturb you for three hours?"...)
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
(...) why must this parameter tt be related to θ\theta as you've defined it?

This is a good point - one which I did not notice. A bit of parametric differentiation should show the result you need.
A bit of parametric differentiation should show the result you need.

Indeed. Along with the observation that θ\theta defines the gradient of the tangent rod, which I'd argue is unavoidable in any approach to this part of the question.
Original post by Zacken
This is the way I would do it:

that is a bigger mess than my life there is no way in heck you would do it that way

zacin stop lying on internet
Original post by Number Nine
that is a bigger mess than my life there is no way in heck you would do it that way

zacin stop lying on internet

lol I seem to remember having that in my workings somewhere :tongue:
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Your reasoning is slightly flawed without further justification. What you can claim is that the curve has a parameterisation of the form x=2tant,y=tan2tx=2\tan t, y= \tan ^2 t, where 0t<π/20\leq t < \pi/2 - but this is certainly not unique. In this particular parameterisation, why must this parameter tt be related to θ\theta as you've defined it?

ah yes that makes sense, thanks. I did think that maybe I needed a little more but I hoped I could get away with it due to time pressure but yeah for the sake of a mark or two Ill justify it in future.
lol I seem to remember having that in my workings somewhere :tongue:

dont egg him on to lie more
Original post by KingRS
Wasn't complaining, merely providing reasoning. Yeah, ill do that. I suppose there's not much else i can do. It's not that i panic or anything but rather I lose my edge and take longer to do questions which can be a problem under timed conditions.

How come you have found out that you take longer to do questions when you haven't done STEP prep in a while? I am just surprised and curious, don't you think it might be just psychological? Does anyone else experience this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you lads ready for FP2 tomorrow?

What am I even saying, of course you are. :wink:

Good luck you all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Insight314
Are you lads ready for FP2 tomorrow?

What am I even saying, of course you are. :wink:

Good luck you all!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same to you! Lets just hope they dont clog it with fiddly rubbish to account for its easiness.
Reply 575
Original post by Insight314
How come you have found out that you take longer to do questions when you haven't done STEP prep in a while? I am just surprised and curious, don't you think it might be just psychological? Does anyone else experience this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally, I don't.
Anyone got any subtle hints for start of II 1991 Q4? No clue how to do it.
Anyone got any subtle hints for start of II 1991 Q4? No clue how to do it.

What's
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gasfxekl
What's cos(0)+isin(0)+cos(θ)+isin(θ)++cos(16θ)+isin(16θ)cos(0)+isin(0)+cos(\theta)+isin(\theta)+\cdots+cos(16\theta)+isin(16\theta)?

I said the start of the question! Thanks for trying to help but please avoid spoiling the rest of the Q.
I said the start of the question! Thanks for trying to help but please avoid spoiling the rest of the Q.

Sorry man.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending