The Student Room Group

AQA english language exam 7/6/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Halzy1234
Omg same! #GreatMindsThinkAlike

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here! I wrote about it stressing me out but then said that realising I exceeded my limit also made be learn there are limits for a reason :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katy0984
How many marks would you get for question 1 if you mainly picked out relevant quotes and wrote something like from this article I understand that "too many seaside towns suffer from deprivation,seasonality and an ageing population" . I also understand ..and did this several times with a few interpretations and embedded quotes 8 times , each sentence being a new point

A max of 6
It's not perceptive to copy out the text with little interpretations. I'd say a 4/5
Original post by luciie
Just realised I barely described anything for question 5 oops

Wouldnt you need to describe to get at least 5 marks
Original post by Dragon5555
My mate wrote as much as you for 6 and he got 7 out of 24 looool i ended up gettin 18 for like 3 paragraphs lool

Yeah, I know its all about quality not quantity, but I've gotten A's in the mocks so hopefully I didn't get 7! :smile:
I think the paper was okay. not the best paper to be given but eh
For Question 5 I wrote about the struggle of English exams and pressing for time :lol:
what did you guys write about?
Original post by PCB
I didn't know we were meant to write about the SUB-HEADLINE in question 2!!!!! How many marks will I lose if I did 2 paras about the headline and 2 about the image

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry I did the same. I think probably 6-7/8 if the quality was still really good. But could be 5-6/8
Original post by epage
Yeah, I know its all about quality not quantity, but I've gotten A's in the mocks so hopefully I didn't get 7! :smile:

Don't stress. It'll be fine
Original post by babymarima
Skydiving and appreciating the world and seeing it in a new light, all that bullsh*t. Even though I have never gone skydiving, thought it would be good to describe. But I cringed so f*cking hard when writing it.

Like I wonder if examiners literally think we're all sensitive losers according to the way we write. Cos I know I sound like a tit in my creative writing.

wbu?

Omg that is so strange hahahahah I done sky diving too and seeing world in new light omg lol that is hilarious
Glad it wasn't just me who found the whole thing so stressful.. It hurts because English Language counts for a lot and you struggle to get into any A levels without it. I love English and it's my best subject, but that paper was awful. Having a panic attack while in the exam didn't help the situation either🙄😞 hope the grade boundaries are low, praying😓

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thatnerdygirl001
Omg that is so strange hahahahah I done sky diving too and seeing world in new light omg lol that is hilarious

no f*cking way, that's trippy
Original post by Himtiaz
I'm not sure. I got 19 19 19 30 and 39. I think the one out of 30 is Lit and the first two are averaged or something. I'd probably say 76 as well.

But shouldn't that help more than just 2 marks for the A*?

Yeah that's what I thought but looking at the UMS boundaries, apparently not.
Original post by jenivii
I think the paper was okay. not the best paper to be given but eh
For Question 5 I wrote about the struggle of English exams and pressing for time :lol:
what did you guys write about?

I wrote about weight loss. LOL! Only struggle I could think off. I found the 'describing' aspect of Q5 really hard because I wrote a letter, so it can't have sounded like a narrative. :redface:
For question 5 I wrote about going to Cambodia and spending the day with some poor children as pushing my limits as a mentally challenging experience but everyone else did something about sports. Was mine okay or is it wrong?
Original post by surina16
Yeah that's what I thought but looking at the UMS boundaries, apparently not.

lol its peak bc i got 77/80 but i need to get just 3 marks off an A* to scrape an A* overall, it's like all of the ca meant nothing
Original post by SmallTown
I wrote about weight loss. LOL! Only struggle I could think off. I found the 'describing' aspect of Q5 really hard because I wrote a letter, so it can't have sounded like a narrative. :redface:

Yeah I thought that but I ended up writing:
To whom it may concern,
I have recently heard about your new article on pushing limits and I thought I would write to you and let you know about my recent experience:
(And then I wrote it)
Original post by alexdt300
For question 5 I wrote about going to Cambodia and spending the day with some poor children as pushing my limits as a mentally challenging experience but everyone else did something about sports. Was mine okay or is it wrong?

it's fine if anything yours will stand out to the examiner, be thankful u didnt write an article like me hahha
Got my timings perfect this time and I think I did really well.
I thought the sources were terrible and I completely failed questions 3, 4 & 5. Time to say goodbye to my A*, I guess.
my coursework grade was an A* but after that english exam, I'd be lucky to even scrape a C!:frown: Is it just me or did anyone feel there was barely anything to analyse for Q4? I compared source 3 with source 1 btw. Also question 5 was so annoying, I literally made it up and wrote about pushing myself when running a half marathon LOL. Honestly, I found question 2 the easiest out of all them. It's probably the only question I finished fully in the time limit of 12 mins. THE EXAM BOARD DEFINITELY NEED TO ALLOCATE US MORE TIME FGS IT'S LITERAL TORTURE.
Original post by lostintrnslation
I thought the sources were terrible and I completely failed questions 3, 4 & 5. Time to say goodbye to my A*, I guess.

AGREED! :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending