The Student Room Group

Applying with a disability

I've recently been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, I've been told I can choose if I want to declare it on my application. However since I am applying to study Sport and Exercise Science I am concerned it will have negative effect on my application and make less likely to recieve offers. Does anyone know if it will affect my application? (I'm studying a btec and two A-levels my predicted grades are D*,D*,A,B if thats helpful)
(edited 7 years ago)
because of the natuer of the course i would if i were you as they will make alounces for you
I have it too, and the first time I applied to college I didn't tell them. I had to drop out after the first year because I couldn't carry on with so little support and understanding. After a year out, I'm applying again. This time I've told them all about it and they've been incredibly supportive and are making loads of changes to even the smallest things to make my life so much easier.

Basically, if you're going to need any help to study then I'd mention it. Studying as much as you are, and seeing your predicted grades, you're obviously very capable academically. I'm not sure where you're from, but they wouldn't be allowed to deny your application on the basis of CFS anyway. They will also have a team you can speak to regarding this, and from my experience they're really helpful and really advocate for you.

Good luck!
Thank you so much! It really helps hearing from someone who has gone through it. I'm from Dorset by the way and applying to Loughborough, Leeds, Nottingham Trent, Kent and Southampton Solent, if that helps. For the most part I manage my symptoms with medication and regular exercise, my school are supportive and I attend a clinic to help manage symptoms.

Good luck to you too!
Reply 4
I would mention it in your personal statement at least, so you can make sure that you get the right support. Good luck!
Original post by Ellie419
Thank you so much! It really helps hearing from someone who has gone through it. I'm from Dorset by the way and applying to Loughborough, Leeds, Nottingham Trent, Kent and Southampton Solent, if that helps. For the most part I manage my symptoms with medication and regular exercise, my school are supportive and I attend a clinic to help manage symptoms.

Good luck to you too!

That's great! You're obviously taking steps to ensure you are as well as you can be, and they'll see that too. I don't think you'll have any problems, and even if you did then the support teams are there :smile:
Original post by chelseadagg3r
That's great! You're obviously taking steps to ensure you are as well as you can be, and they'll see that too. I don't think you'll have any problems, and even if you did then the support teams are there :smile:

:smile: Thanks you've been really helpful! I hope your symptoms aren't too bad and you're able to manage them
Original post by Ellie419
:smile: Thanks you've been really helpful! I hope your symptoms aren't too bad and you're able to manage them

Aw thanks! I struggle, but I'm kinda used it it haha. I've had it since about 9, and now I'm an adult I can finally access help. I have my first appointment in August :smile: Here's hoping I'm all set for college
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Aw thanks! I struggle, but I'm kinda used it it haha. I've had it since about 9, and now I'm an adult I can finally access help. I have my first appointment in August :smile: Here's hoping I'm all set for college

Oh wow that's a really long time. I've had it for almost two years so I'm still in the worst stages of it unfortunately. Luckily my county has a clinic for children and adolescents since one of the nearby universities carries out a lot research into it.

It's a shame you struggle though, hopefully it gets a bit better soon. :smile:
Because you have a long term medical problem / disability, you're entitled to claim disabled students allowance. (DSA) This entitles you to things like non-medical help, (note takers, a mentor, etc) equipment (software, laptop, printer, dictaphone, etc) and exam arrangements. (extra time, rest breaks, etc)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending