The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do people HATE Vegans?

I'm a Vegan, and I understand why some people get annoyed when some vegans "preach" but it's only to benefit you? Veganism is a much healthier way of living and that's what people like freelee the bananagirl tries to point across, although some of what she says can be harsh, so I'm not defending that. But WHY hate us? We're causing no physical harm to anyone or anything? And this may come across as preaching but I'm not, I'm just wondering :smile: thank you

Scroll to see replies

I don't hate vegans, but I can understand people's frustrations because most of the time people do not care if someone's a vegan or not, but they bring it up anyway and then get annoyed when people don't want to hear about it. Like it's really not that big of a deal, you eat what you want, others eat what they want. That's why people don't like 'preaching' about it because not being a vegan is really not as big of a deal as some (not all) vegans like to act like it is.
I don't hate vegans but I find them annoying. If I want to choose a lifestyle that isn't as healthy as yours then I can. I do not want to hear people preach to me about why I should follow their lifestyle and continue to preach to me still when I say I'm not going to.

Also I find it annoying as **** when one criticises my lifestyle.
(edited 7 years ago)
I admire vegans because I'd really like to be more healthy and environmentally friendly. However it's simply not realistic for many people to adopt that sort of diet/lifestyle choice, since it's a lot more expensive and time consuming. A lot of the frustration at vegans therefore comes from their apparent need to convert others to veganism. Also a lot of vegans don't seem to be able to say one sentence without dropping in the fact that they don't eat meat, which comes across as pretentious and can rub people up the wrong way.
guilt :P
Reply 5
It may have something to do with the fact that many vegans are insufferably annoying and generally act like cult members.

I'm a Vegan, and I understand why some people get annoyed when some vegans "preach" but it's only to benefit you? Veganism is a much healthier way of living

See this is exactly what I am talking about, cultish behavior and baseless assertions. There is very little scientific evidence for veganism having any significant health benefits over a normal, balanced diet.
Original post by Emeliaaaaa
Veganism is a much healthier way of living... And this may come across as preaching but I'm not.

Claims to be not preaching, by preaching.

If you are happy with your lifestyle then good for you. I don't want to hear about it just as much as you don't want to hear about how much fun I have shooting animals.
I'm a Vegan, and I understand why some people get annoyed when some vegans "preach" but it's only to benefit you?

Maybe it's not gonna benefit us? or maybe we don't give a sh even if it does have a benefit. we don't hate Vegans per se but we (definitely I) hate vegans that think they're doing it better and want to chat a load of crap to non-vegans.

Don't preach and we won't hate you... simple

you wanna be Vegan? keep it to yourself and your vegan mates
Reply 8
Because they say patronising things like:

I understand why some people get annoyed when some vegans "preach" but it's only to benefit you?
I do not know anybody which hates vegans
I don't hate vegans. In fact, I respect that they are at least consistent in their caring for animals.

I know when I eat meat that I am effectively keeping animals in poor conditions and then killing them for my own pleasure. I am content with that and don't subscribe to the idea of animal rights.

What annoys me more than vegans is people who, for example, get angry when that dentist shot a lion last year but then are quite happy for a cow to get a bolt through its head for their own pleasure. Same goes for people who are against fox hunting or the Grand National or whatever else. If you eat meat, you are a hypocrite.

However, as others have said, vegans too are annoying.

People don't like preachers, just like you don't want to here about Jesus every two minutes if that isn't what you believe. Vegans especially come across as sanctimonious.

I don't agree that a vegan diet is healthier. Humans have evolved to eat meat and it is a great source of nutrients. Yes, you can now get all the nutrients you need from plants but that doesn't make meat bad for you. I don't believe animal fats are bad.

I think the scientific evidence is mixed and I am sceptical of pro vegan science because it is likely agenda driven.

But whether it is healthy or not is not the point. There are millions of things that are unhealthy which nobody preaches about or if they do, for example with smoking, they are equally as annoying. As another person said, it is people's choice if they are unhealthy. This is really about the ethics not health.

Finally, it is just awkward. I wouldn't invite a vegan to my house for a meal because I don't want to be cooking a rabbit's meal as well as a human's.
Because they're generally patronising snobs.... they're akin to Labour supporters or MP's who hate working class peoples beliefs.

Much prefer vegetarians because they tend not to preach.
Original post by Wōden
It may have something to do with the fact that many vegans are insufferably annoying and generally act like cult members.

See this is exactly what I am talking about, cultish behavior and baseless assertions. There is very little scientific evidence for veganism having any significant health benefits over a normal, balanced diet.

Yeah except from the fact that vegans are more likely to live longer.
Stating facts is not preaching.
Original post by Shumaya
Because they say patronising things like:

You mean the truth.

How is telling the truth patronising. If you go on the right vegan diet you will be healthier. That is not forcing an opinion on you, that is not preaching to you, that is just telling the truth. Just because you can't take someone who is against your murderous actions being healthier than you- it doesn't mean they are wrong.
It's not so much that you're physically harming anyone.. it's just that you're ****ing annoying.
Original post by greatguy 698

Vegans are also more likely to come from a much better economic background.... which can already account for 20 odd years in some area's of the country.
they act like it's easy to change your diet and don't realise that people with digestive problems sometimes cannot eat a fully vegan diet, and they pretend that it isn't expensive in comparison to a non vegan diet which is irritating... there is a lot of preaching and trying to convert others which i guess people dislike for the same reasons as people dislike religious people who try to convert them too

I don't really see the point in living longer, if you can't do everything you want in 60 years then you need to try a bit harder.
You mean the truth.

How is telling the truth patronising. If you go on the right vegan diet you will be healthier. That is not forcing an opinion on you, that is not preaching to you, that is just telling the truth. Just because you can't take someone who is against your murderous actions being healthier than you- it doesn't mean they are wrong.

OP asked why vegans have a bad rep and I gave her my opinion. Everyone has choices in life. If you choose to not eat meat, that's great, well done, have fun being healthy. I really don't care though. It's quite arrogant to assume that anyone cares what you eat or needs you to tell them how they should be eating. I'm not going to give up my murderous ways any time soon. Preachy vegans are certainly not going to change that. In fact, they make me want to give up vegetables altogether and adopt an all-meat diet.
Original post by Shumaya
OP asked why vegans have a bad rep and I gave her my opinion. Everyone has choices in life. If you choose to not eat meat, that's great, well done, have fun being healthy. I really don't care though. It's quite arrogant to assume that anyone cares what you eat or needs you to tell them how they should be eating. I'm not going to give up my murderous ways any time soon. Preachy vegans are certainly not going to change that. In fact, they make me want to give up vegetables altogether and adopt an all-meat diet.

Low carb diets are the future. Meat is good for us.

Latest

Trending

Trending