The Student Room Group

Eduqas AS Biology anyone??? B400U10-1

Scroll to see replies

so now that we've done both exams, what do you think the overall grade boundaries might be?
Original post by ActuallyIDo
so now that we've done both exams, what do you think the overall grade boundaries might be?

okay so when our college did a mock the grade boundaries worked out at 70% for an A. our college is 3000 students big so is a good representation but im hoping a little lower otherwise im not sure i can get an A
Reply 42
Original post by clairebear101
absorbtion

I got absorption as well
Original post by Thash12
I got absorption as well

ah good, i hope this is correct

can u wright out some of the other answers u got to questions and i will reply with what i got? :smile:
Reply 44
ah good, i hope this is correct

can u wright out some of the other answers u got to questions and i will reply with what i got? :smile:

I'll try my best to remember. The question about rabbit faeces and why the soft and hard differed was because cellulose gets digested near the end of the digestive system in the caecum and therefore glucose would remain in the faeces until digested again to absorb the glucose in the small intestine. The hard faeces were because some food didn't contain cellulose and therefore all the nutrients were absorbed.
I'm a bit worried about the heart defect question as i put it was because there wasn't an av valve and backflow would occur and not as much oxygen would get absorbed in the lungs, though my friends didn't have similar.
Question 1 was easy, it was just transport of co2
Also does anyone have any ideas as to what raw mark would be required for an A. I thought it would be 80 percent but someone mentioned 70 percent in which case i can aim for a A with more confidence
Original post by Thash12
I'll try my best to remember. The question about rabbit faeces and why the soft and hard differed was because cellulose gets digested near the end of the digestive system in the caecum and therefore glucose would remain in the faeces until digested again to absorb the glucose in the small intestine. The hard faeces were because some food didn't contain cellulose and therefore all the nutrients were absorbed.
I'm a bit worried about the heart defect question as i put it was because there wasn't an av valve and backflow would occur and not as much oxygen would get absorbed in the lungs, though my friends didn't have similar.
Question 1 was easy, it was just transport of co2
Also does anyone have any ideas as to what raw mark would be required for an A. I thought it would be 80 percent but someone mentioned 70 percent in which case i can aim for a A with more confidence

I agree about the rabbit one but i said the hard pellets are the ones that have had all the nutrients abosorbed on the second digestion, I dont know if i explained it that well but i did say that so should get the marks. I said that there wasn't a septum or valves and so oxygenated and deoxygenated blood would mix and give an absorption value that was lower than someone without these issues for the 100% sat blood. I said 70% cuz no way will it be 80% at the level of difficulty compared to the old papers. I'm sure u can get an A, im really really not sure what i will get! will just have to wait and see
Reply 46
I agree about the rabbit one but i said the hard pellets are the ones that have had all the nutrients abosorbed on the second digestion, I dont know if i explained it that well but i did say that so should get the marks. I said that there wasn't a septum or valves and so oxygenated and deoxygenated blood would mix and give an absorption value that was lower than someone without these issues for the 100% sat blood. I said 70% cuz no way will it be 80% at the level of difficulty compared to the old papers. I'm sure u can get an A, im really really not sure what i will get! will just have to wait and see

Yeah i definitely missed out the septum but hopefully i'll be able to get 2 marks maybe for my explanation of the valves. I wrote about lower values due to less haemoglobin available to absorb oxygen in the lungs. If it's 70% i'll be so happy tbh because i don't think i've dropped over 20 marks. Considering it's a new paper as well it would make sense that they would lower grade boundaries. I'm just annoyed our college did eduqas because their markschemes and questions are complete bs
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Thash12
Yeah i definitely missed out the septum but hopefully i'll be able to get 2 marks maybe for my explanation of the valves. I wrote about lower values due to less haemoglobin available to absorb oxygen in the lungs. If it's 70% i'll be so happy tbh because i don't think i've dropped over 20 marks. Considering it's a new paper as well it would make sense that they would lower grade boundaries. I'm just annoyed our college did eduqas because their markschemes and questions are complete bs

i dont think the question was to go tiwht absorbing haemoglobin form lungs as it was about how the defects changed that infrared absorption graph? but i dont know, yah i mean i dont think it will be anywhere near 80% cuz its way harder and people found it hard but of course it depends on how some people did and there are some people in my classes who calcuated they got around 90% so im guessing maybe 75% grade boundary? how many marks that is across both papers im not sure :smile:
last years grade boundaries were 71% for unit 2 for an A and thats the old spec...
Does anyone know if there is an unofficial mark scheme for BY1?
Sadly this spec doesn't seem that well documented. I could try to get a hold of the papers from my teacher as she might have some? Will try tomorrow.
Original post by Callicious
Sadly this spec doesn't seem that well documented. I could try to get a hold of the papers from my teacher as she might have some? Will try tomorrow.

hi were you able to get hold of the paper? i feel i could have done a lot better with more time so i want to do it again
Reply 52

Have you got hold of the papers yet? If you have, please could you send it to me.

Thanks
Original post by HeyaG
Have you got hold of the papers yet? If you have, please could you send it to me.

Thanks

She said I wasn't allowed to have them until we got our grades

Hey could you be kind enough to send me the paper when you get it back? That would be super amazing, thanks so much in advance as I am currently getting Ds!

Hey could you be kind enough to send me the paper when you get it back? That would be super amazing, thanks so much in advance as I am currently getting Ds!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending