The Student Room Group

OCR F211/F212 AS Biology Retake 2016

Scroll to see replies

1-4, 1-6 Amylopectin?
Original post by Tinksy
What did everyone put for glycogen question??? I mentioned...
Compact so energy dense
Branched for enzymes to attach - breaks off glucose for respiration
insoluble so doesn't affect water potential
Granular
A-glucose subunits and 1-4 glycosidic bonds and 9% 1-6 bonds

What else was there to mention??

thats what i put, what did you ut for why the lilly whatever its name was isnt no longer found in its original habitat
Original post by Ladybirdm
1-4, 1-6 Amylopectin?

that a component of starch not glycogen?
Original post by Tinksy
Compact so energy dense
Granular

I think you've covered it but I just elaborated a little:
Branches mean it can be broken down quickly and efficiently
Small and compact so it doesn't take up a lot of space = more space for even more glycogen
Stores a lot of energy for its mass/size
Reply 624
Original post by 09ekennedy
thats what i put, what did you ut for why the lilly whatever its name was isnt no longer found in its original habitat

For that one I mentioned changed in Flora, Climate change, Change of temperature, change in mineral content/ nitrogen in the soil? And disease :/
What did you put??
(edited 7 years ago)
that a component of starch not glycogen?

Amylopectin and glycogen are both branched so contain 1,6 glycosidic bonds.

Also, Glucose is an example of a carbohydrate. I believe starch is a carbohydrate?
Original post by Tinksy
Compact so energy dense
Granular

Glycogen is soluble though isn't it? It's amylose that is insoluble
Original post by Tinksy
For that one I mentioned changed in Flora, Climate change, Change of temperature, change in mineral content/ nitrogen in the soil? And disease :/
What did you put??

climate change and the increase in temp changes environmental conditions and therefore the lilly is unable to adapt to new environemental coniditons?...
Original post by Tinksy
For that one I mentioned changed in Flora, Climate change, Change of temperature, change in mineral content/ nitrogen in the soil? :/
What did you put??

I wrote overgrazing from herbivores and pests/disease for the 2 marks. Would have put something about breeding in the wild is hard if individuals are far away etc or if numbers are low for a 3rd. Think your points work as well!
Original post by LaurenPF
Amylopectin and glycogen are both branched so contain 1,6 glycosidic bonds.

Also, Glucose is an example of a carbohydrate. I believe starch is a carbohydrate?

but didnt the question refer to strucutre of glycogen and why its useful in animals?
Reply 630
Original post by marie0803

OH NOOO! I was thinking along the lines of glycogen being an energy store so I thought it wasn't meant to cause change in water potential for some reason :frown: I am kicking myself now
Original post by marie0803

No, Glycogen and Amylose are basically the same in structure so both are insoluble
Original post by Tinksy
OH NOOO! I was thinking along the lines of glycogen being an energy store so I thought it wasn't meant to cause change in water potential for some reason :frown: I am kicking myself now

Don't worry I missed so many things I could've said - I'm sure what you wrote will give you enough marks :smile:
Reply 633
climate change and the increase in temp changes environmental conditions and therefore the lilly is unable to adapt to new environemental coniditons?...

That's along the lines I was thinking, it said no human activities so I just thought of environmental stuff haha I really am not sure if it is right though
but didnt the question refer to strucutre of glycogen and why its useful in animals?

Yeah, so glucose being insoluble is an advantage because it doesn't effect the water potential of cells alongside being compact, having many ends/branches to which glucose can be attached or removed. They are highly efficient as energy storage molecules and can be broken down quickly to release energy when required.
Original post by Tinksy

My revision guide definitely says glycogen is insoluble and I believe that this is helpful because it doesn't affect the water potential of the cell!
Guys for questions 1 did part 2 talk about carbon, carboxylic group and oh in order ?
Original post by LaurenPF
My revision guide definitely says glycogen is insoluble and I believe that this is helpful because it doesn't affect the water potential of the cell!

Yeah you're all right sorry that's another few marks I've lost
Someone please make an unofficial markscheme :frown: I have definitely failed this one again!!:facepalm:
i said do random sampling sort of stuff in the plants natural habitat and measure soil moisture of where it grows best lol banter

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending