The Student Room Group

AQA AS BIO Unit 2 OLD SPEC RESIT Tue 7th June (pm) 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by member911680
what did people write for how can scientists increase reliability of the results

I think the question was about how have the scientists increased the reliability of their results.

I talked about samples from 46 farms ->large sample size->minimises effects of chance -> more representative results.
Original post by gcsekid
Ridiculous statement really
Everyone here it seems found it difficult
It doesnt matter if theres no y12s
It depends how the candidates found it so outrageous to claim they would be high

I was only saying that the vast majority of people taking this exam are people who have chosen not to drop biology and want to improve their grade from last year. perhaps they won't be higher, maybe they will be even closer than normal.
I was only suggesting the idea :smile:
Original post by Jakejoyce97
Nope, retakes only unfortunately

There are. Jan or April starters (5-term A-Level) in boarding schools
Original post by Gdragoneater
There are. Jan or April starters (5-term A-Level) in boarding schools

Oh okay, sorry. Apart from them!
Reply 404
What is the lowest the grade boundaries have ever been?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some people are saying they drew 2 circles for the genus and one in each for the species. But didnt the Q ask for the tiger only? so it would have only been two cicles in total for the genus and species?
(edited 7 years ago)
omg what about the question about seeing if the 2 types of bacteria, one from the farmer and one from another thing, were the same by using DNA???
Original post by Kwaks

Posted from TSR Mobile

58? or 60? for an A (i think lul)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 408
Original post by fanta0904
omg what about the question about seeing if the 2 types of bacteria, one from the farmer and one from another thing, were the same by using DNA???

DNA sequencing is what I put. So look at DNA base sequence

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 409
Original post by fanta0904
58? or 60?

Hopefully it goes below 50 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the question about insects, will it matter that I put trachea/trachae/ however its spelt (plural) rather than trachiole (singular)?

Regarding grade boundaries, I reckon they will be similar to last years as the paper was definitely harder, but some of the teachers that mark for AQA (other subjects) say that they're just going to put in all the hardest questions they've saved since 2002 or when ever our A-level was re-commissioned.

All that aside, it appears most/all of us struggled, so likely to be around 75% for an A I think
Original post by Kwaks

Posted from TSR Mobile

i actually wouldn't be surprised hahaha
Original post by Kwaks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Percentage or marks wise? :tongue:

What grades is everyone needing in bio btw?
Original post by Amellia123
For the question about insects, will it matter that I put trachea/trachae/ however its spelt (plural) rather than trachiole (singular)?

Regarding grade boundaries, I reckon they will be similar to last years as the paper was definitely harder, but some of the teachers that mark for AQA (other subjects) say that they're just going to put in all the hardest questions they've saved since 2002 or when ever our A-level was re-commissioned.

All that aside, it appears most/all of us struggled, so likely to be around 75% for an A I think

What do you mean by that? And examiners who mark the papers aren't the same people who set the paper.
Reply 414
Original post by Amellia123
Percentage or marks wise? :tongue:

What grades is everyone needing in bio btw?

Marks wise and I need an A 😭😭😭 I got an A in unit 1 last year and a C in unit 2 so it dragged my grade down

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 415
Last year it was 56/85 for an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 416
Original post by Kwaks

Posted from TSR Mobile

The lowest I saw whilst doing past papers was 54 for an A which is 64%
Original post by RayMasterio
What do you mean by that? And examiners who mark the papers aren't the same people who set the paper.

Yes I am aware of that. What I'm trying to say is that every single teacher I've spoken too (across all science subjects)
has said that because this is the last paper on the old spec, so AQA are bound to throw in all of the really hard questions. Tbh when you've been an examiner you end up seeing every style od exam question known to man. We have all struggled on this paper, so I hope you are just pointing out my poor English and not having a go
Original post by TRGreen16
Regretting coming on here to try and salvage potential marks. I think I am seeing more wrong answers than right...

Wrong answers from others? :frown:
Original post by Kwaks
Marks wise and I need an A 😭😭😭 I got an A in unit 1 last year and a C in unit 2 so it dragged my grade down

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh I see, tbh grade boundaries for Biol5 are so low (even tho I cant seem to get past a C). I think if we write good essays they'll be a good chance of an A! I managed B unit 1 and B unit 2, but retook unit 2 to try to increase UMS (as I doubt ill do well un unit 5)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending