The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Music 2015/2016 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lucyg2000
What do people will predict for the listening questions, I really hope peripetie doesn't come up on the listening questions but does anyone know if there is a possibility that it might?

Peripetie will most likely be a listening question since it was used as an essay question last year, but there still is a possibility that it won't...

Posted from TSR Mobile
The good thing is that if Capercallie comes up and everyone finds it hard the grade boundaries would quite possibly be lower c:
What do people will predict for the listening questions, I really hope peripetie doesn't come up on the listening questions but does anyone know if there is a possibility that it might?

it will most definitely, because it came up as the section B question. No extract has been missing from the paper 2 years in a row.
How did you come up with the predictions

by looking at past papers and the trends
Original post by Vigster
by looking at past papers and the trends

Do you think grace will come up?
Reply 105
Just a PSA for any of you following this thread.

Despite what most revision guides say, the drone instrument in Rag Desh v3 (Gorn/Wertheimer) is NOT a shruti-box.

I repeat, NOT A SHRUTI-BOX!

The actual drone instrument used is a tanpura, or tambura (either spelling is allowed).

Seriously I'm not kidding, check the mark scheme for the 2012 paper. There's also a question on it in one of the Practise Papers, both instances allow tambura/tanpura but not shruti-box. There's even mention of it being a tanpura on Benjy Wertheimer's website if you want further proof.

It amazes me how erroneous revision guides can actually be published, what other lies have we been told?
For section A, my predictions are:
A01- Handel and Chopin
A02- Schoenberg and Steve Reich
A03- Miles Davis and Jeff Buckley
A04- Capercaillie and Rag Desh

As for section B, I have a feeling that Edexcel won't give Handel and Capercaillie as they're too predictable or they'll give one of them (if so I believe it would be Handel).
How about just revising for everything instead of counting on predictions to revise? :dontknow:
Original post by TheOtherSide.
How about just revising for everything instead of counting on predictions to revise? :dontknow:

Lol good point . I don't count on them though (too risky). I just like seeing if I'm right after.
Original post by Rebecca-Joseph
Lol good point . I don't count on them though (too risky). I just like seeing if I'm right after.

Fair enough. :lol:
Reply 110
Original post by TheOtherSide.

I am, because we have no idea what will come up! But it's hard to revise and remember everything in essay detail! So jealous of anyone who can!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you think grace will come up?

highly doubt it, most probably capercaille and handel for section A, but u never know, anything can come up.
Original post by hh5
Just a PSA for any of you following this thread.

Despite what most revision guides say, the drone instrument in Rag Desh v3 (Gorn/Wertheimer) is NOT a shruti-box.

I repeat, NOT A SHRUTI-BOX!

The actual drone instrument used is a tanpura, or tambura (either spelling is allowed).

Seriously I'm not kidding, check the mark scheme for the 2012 paper. There's also a question on it in one of the Practise Papers, both instances allow tambura/tanpura but not shruti-box. There's even mention of it being a tanpura on Benjy Wertheimer's website if you want further proof.

It amazes me how erroneous revision guides can actually be published, what other lies have we been told?

Oh yes, I noticed this as well so I've been avoiding mentioning the shruti box in any of my answers. I find it really frustrating how we can barely trust the books that are meant to teach us sometimes....
Does anyone know what instruments are featured in Yiri? Everything I read says something different :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nicolxkub
Does anyone know what instruments are featured in Yiri? Everything I read says something different :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

High and low balafon, large and small talking drums, djembe and a bell

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just did a past paper with Yiri in it and they accepted a few different answers in the mark scheme:
-Balafons/balaphones/xylophones
-African drums
-Djembe
-Talking drum/donno/dunno
-Dundun

The extract didn't feature the bell but yeah there's a bell at the end.
(edited 7 years ago)

If you want an accurate answer id check the essay mark schemes for each piece as that's what they want you to know
For section A, my predictions are:
A01- Handel and Chopin
A02- Schoenberg and Steve Reich
A03- Miles Davis and Jeff Buckley
A04- Capercaillie and Rag Desh

As for section B, I have a feeling that Edexcel won't give Handel and Capercaillie as they're too predictable or they'll give one of them (if so I believe it would be Handel).

My music teacher suggested that in section B a comparison question could come up to compare similarities and differences , do you know anything about this ? :smile:
Original post by lucyh222
My music teacher suggested that in section B a comparison question could come up to compare similarities and differences , do you know anything about this ? :smile:

Pretty sure that wouldn't happen as its always been an essay on one piece. That doesn't mean it won't but I would think it would be extremely unlikely.
Original post by aqvague
Pretty sure that wouldn't happen as its always been an essay on one piece. That doesn't mean it won't but I would think it would be extremely unlikely.

Yeah, my guess is, if Handel and Capercaillie come up for us this year, then next years exam is likely to have that type of question, but for now most likely section B will just stick to its normal essay type questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending