The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by undine_monty
I think its really likely this will come up. I've not seen the question come up since 2013. Same with the relationship between sexual selection and human reproductive behaviour.

Was just wondering, with sexual selection and human reproductive behaviour, how do i explain the link between the two e.g. for long term mating prefernces.
Original post by NHM
Send it me via pm

Sent have you got it?
Original post by NHM
I think- ignoring Loopa predictions that what will come up will be:
Relationships- breakdown
Aggression- genetics
Gender- Kohlberg/dysphoria

I don't know about the others :/

Everyone predicting Kohlberg is scaring me. Still, I am adamantly not gonna revise him lawl so help me god
Reply 2963
You know for the biological section for Eating Behaviours / disorders it says "including neural and evolutionary explanations". So does that mean that they will come together or potentially separate??

Also, for Intelligence and learning, can someone check if my outline and the research that I will decide to include is relevant and sufficient

Outline: Classical conditioning is learning that occurs through the association of a neutral stimulus and a involuntary unconditioned stimulus. There are many features in classical conditioning, such as one- trial learning, where one pairing of UCS and a CS produces a conditioned response. There is also the importance of timing in the learning process. For example, forward conditioning where the CS is presented just before the UCS is much stronger than backward conditioning where the CS is presented after the UCS.In addition, generalisation is another feature, where by slightly varying the CS is produces a weaker forms of the CR. Lastly, there is extinction. This is when the CS is continually given without the presentation of the UCS, the CR grows weaker and then ceases. However, it can be brought back into the experimental situation after extinction has occurred, this is known as spontaneous recovery.

There has been research in laboratory settings that support this explanation.

Then for my research which will be the evaluation (A02) to support the explanation, I have the Pavlov study.
I also have other studies, but wanted to know if it would be relevant for classical conditioning in non-human animals:
Armstrong et al demonstrated one-trial learning in 3 day old mice. The mice were deprived of their mothers for 2 hours and then were conditioned to associate a certain odour when returned to their mothers and given access to suckling. The mice were then deprived of their mothers again and demonstrated a preference for the conditioned odour over other novel odours

And this study: Sahley et al exposed slugs just once to a highly attractive food odour of potato or a carrot and saturated solution of guanidine sulphate, a bitter tasting substance. The slugs subsequently displayed reduced pereference for the specific food odour , demonstrating one-trial learning in non-human animals - obviously I'll elaborate the support part when evaluating it.

I have for methodological evaluations like the cause most of these studies are conducted in lab settings, they cannot be generalised to real life settings due to the manipulation of variables.
I'm addition to that, I also have the issue of it being deterministic as it suggests that the environment determines behaviour and ignores the animals free will to act upon their environment

For IDA I practical applications such as training of dogs - but how would I expand this as an evaluation?
I also have the fact that it's reductionist and fails to take into account biological influences, such as biological preparedness - would that be relevant as an IDA??

Does anyone have any other relevant studies?? Would really appreciate the help :smile:
Original post by кяя
Everyone predicting Kohlberg is scaring me. Still, I am adamantly not gonna revise him lawl so help me god

I don't it's too hard and I only just did the essay for him yesterday. I'll leave it to the end though I'm gonna awake sure I got all the other essential 3 or 4 done and then finish it up with his and sweeping through others. I'm gonna be awake all night to do this lol God help me in the exam
Original post by SunDun111
Was just wondering, with sexual selection and human reproductive behaviour, how do i explain the link between the two e.g. for long term mating prefernces.

There are different sexual selection pressures between the genders which can be explained through the differences in gametes. Males have millions of sperm but they can never be sure of paternity but they have low cost in investment. Natural selection favours them to max their mating opportunities. Females have limited eggs and time and high investment but are sure of paternity. They are more choosy, seeking out males who are strong, healthy with resources.

There are two types of sexual selection that take place in relation to HRB: Intra-sexual selection (mles), intersexual (females).
Intra sexual selection occurs when males compete between other males for access to females so have evolved indicators such as strong jaw lines, triangular backs, broad shoulders, signs of strength and testosterone which women like. High levels of testosterone can caunse damage to the immune system so is only found in the strongest of males (handicap principle).

Intersexual selection, where women select males who offer the most in terms of passing on good genes, ablity to protect and with resources and status.
Predictions on eating behaviour and aggression anyone??
Original post by Onica
You know for the biological section for Eating Behaviours / disorders it says "including neural and evolutionary explanations". So does that mean that they will come together or potentially separate??

Also, for Intelligence and learning, can someone check if my outline and the research that I will decide to include is relevant and sufficient

Outline: Classical conditioning is learning that occurs through the association of a neutral stimulus and a involuntary unconditioned stimulus. There are many features in classical conditioning, such as one- trial learning, where one pairing of UCS and a CS produces a conditioned response. There is also the importance of timing in the learning process. For example, forward conditioning where the CS is presented just before the UCS is much stronger than backward conditioning where the CS is presented after the UCS.In addition, generalisation is another feature, where by slightly varying the CS is produces a weaker forms of the CR. Lastly, there is extinction. This is when the CS is continually given without the presentation of the UCS, the CR grows weaker and then ceases. However, it can be brought back into the experimental situation after extinction has occurred, this is known as spontaneous recovery.

There has been research in laboratory settings that support this explanation.

Then for my research which will be the evaluation (A02) to support the explanation, I have the Pavlov study.
I also have other studies, but wanted to know if it would be relevant for classical conditioning in non-human animals:
Armstrong et al demonstrated one-trial learning in 3 day old mice. The mice were deprived of their mothers for 2 hours and then were conditioned to associate a certain odour when returned to their mothers and given access to suckling. The mice were then deprived of their mothers again and demonstrated a preference for the conditioned odour over other novel odours

And this study: Sahley et al exposed slugs just once to a highly attractive food odour of potato or a carrot and saturated solution of guanidine sulphate, a bitter tasting substance. The slugs subsequently displayed reduced pereference for the specific food odour , demonstrating one-trial learning in non-human animals - obviously I'll elaborate the support part when evaluating it.

I have for methodological evaluations like the cause most of these studies are conducted in lab settings, they cannot be generalised to real life settings due to the manipulation of variables.
I'm addition to that, I also have the issue of it being deterministic as it suggests that the environment determines behaviour and ignores the animals free will to act upon their environment

For IDA I practical applications such as training of dogs - but how would I expand this as an evaluation?
I also have the fact that it's reductionist and fails to take into account biological influences, such as biological preparedness - would that be relevant as an IDA??

Does anyone have any other relevant studies?? Would really appreciate the help :smile:

You need to know both evolutionary explains such as mate choice division of Labour and then you need to know genew and hormonal
Is there any point in actual writing about procedure of a study? does this even get marks
Hello everyone, I'm new to posting in TSR discussions but have been following this thread for quite a while. I was just wondering if anybody had any essays on Circadian/Ultradian/Infradian Rhythms, role of EP'S and EZ's & evolutionary explanations for group displays of aggression? They are some of the main contenders in terms of predictions, but all of my essays covering them have low marks. If anybody could help by giving me a vague structure or pm-ing me their essays I would be sooo grateful!
thank you in advance and good luck for tomorrow x
There are different sexual selection pressures between the genders which can be explained through the differences in gametes. Males have millions of sperm but they can never be sure of paternity but they have low cost in investment. Natural selection favours them to max their mating opportunities. Females have limited eggs and time and high investment but are sure of paternity. They are more choosy, seeking out males who are strong, healthy with resources.

There are two types of sexual selection that take place in relation to HRB: Intra-sexual selection (mles), intersexual (females).
Intra sexual selection occurs when males compete between other males for access to females so have evolved indicators such as strong jaw lines, triangular backs, broad shoulders, signs of strength and testosterone which women like. High levels of testosterone can caunse damage to the immune system so is only found in the strongest of males (handicap principle).

Intersexual selection, where women select males who offer the most in terms of passing on good genes, ablity to protect and with resources and status.

How would you link in short term and Long term mating? Also with the opening paragraph, i dont know if i'd include that, i kinda dont have time.. ?
Original post by NHM
I think- ignoring Loopa predictions that what will come up will be:Relationships- breakdownAggression- genetics Gender- Kohlberg/dysphoriaI don't know about the others :/
Aggression is more likely to be neural / hormonal mechanisms.
Original post by PhoenixBlaze123
Is there any point in actual writing about procedure of a study? does this even get marks

No, you should focus on the findings and how they link to the overall theory. The only time you should mention methodology is when you want to say how that can affect the whole study (e.g. a supporting study with a small sample could be criticized for not being representative, reducing the validity of the whole theory)
if you cant remember the names of some researchers but just say vague stuff about who did it (so like research has shown... or in a study done on blah blah) how much will it impact the overall mark? assuming you still include all the details and evaluation of the study just not the name
Original post by SunDun111
How would you link in short term and Long term mating? Also with the opening paragraph, i dont know if i'd include that, i kinda dont have time.. ?

I think with long-term, a woman would want a partner who is secure, who won't leave her. Someone who is committed.

With short-term, I think you could talk about natural selection favouring men to maximise their mating opportunities, maybe.

I don't really know, I never considered those aspects
Reply 2975
Reply 2976
Original post by IHatePsychology
You need to know both evolutionary explains such as mate choice division of Labour and then you need to know genew and hormonal

I've been taught evolutionary explanations such as the Adaption to Flee Famine Hypothesis and the Reproduction Suppression hypothesis.
I've also been taught the neural explanations such as the role of serotonin, dopamine and problems of neurodevelopment -are they right??
Will questions like this come together or separate for evolutionary and neural explanations??
Reply 2977
Original post by evekay
i've only gone over them, no there isn't enough content for there to be an essay on either one! circadian there is though and i would cry with joy if that came up

Hey for an essay on circadian rhythms would you write about the sleep wake cycle, stages of sleep, endogenous and exogenous factors and the functions for sleep? Thanks a lot! :smile:
Has anyone got a good essay / essay plan on the role of genes on aggression they'd be willing to share?
its the only one I'm struggling a lot with.
I think with long-term, a woman would want a partner who is secure, who won't leave her. Someone who is committed.

With short-term, I think you could talk about natural selection favouring men to maximise their mating opportunities, maybe.

I don't really know, I never considered those aspects

Its fine thanks for your help, are you doing aggression if so can you mark my essay? on Group displays of aggression?

Latest

Trending

Trending