The Student Room Group

M1 Vectors Help

Hello. How do you do part (c) in this question?

Reply 1
Original post by SirRaza97
Hello. How do you do part (c) in this question?

What thoughts of your own do you have?
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
What thoughts of your own do you have?

I've worked out that at 10am, r = -2i and at 10:30am, r = -5i + 4j. All i know from that is that position vector of L has no J component. I don't know what else to do.
Reply 3
I've worked out that at 10am, r = -2i and at 10:30am, r = -5i + 4j. All i know from that is that position vector of L has no J component. I don't know what else to do.

Right, so now set L's position vector as r = ai

You know that at time 10:30, the position vector of L is south-west of the ship. Sketch a diagram to represent this. Does that help?

OHHHHH!!!! i did this question, make sure you have a good diagram and keep the significance of South West in mind
Reply 5
Original post by Big white
OHHHHH!!!! i did this question, make sure you have a good diagram and keep the significance of South West in mind

Original post by Zacken
Right, so now set L's position vector as r = ai

You know that at time 10:30, the position vector of L is south-west of the ship. Sketch a diagram to represent this. Does that help?

I'm not sure what the significance of south west is actually. Has it got to with the i and j vectors being the same? I really have no idea.
Reply 6
I'm not sure what the significance of south west is actually. Has it got to with the i and j vectors being the same? I really have no idea.

South west means parallel to the vector (i + j).

Think in terms of angles :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by Big white
Think in terms of angles :tongue:

45 degree angle from vertical and horizontal components?
Reply 9
45 degree angle from vertical and horizontal components?

Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest