The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

3851e6e6c2ccdbb02b472a5430ede9c5.pngdidnt get chance before so thanks Zacken for helping me last time :smile: . anyways for this question (June 2014 R) for part b) i got that s = 0.3m but the mark scheme says you need to do 0.3 x 2 to get the answer and i don't understand why?
Original post by KloppOClock
Thrust is opposite to tension.

Tension:

O---->-------<-----O

Thrust:

O<---->O

Original post by wenogk
Thank you!

This question uses "thrust" check out examsolutions video for that question(Q6)
http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths-papers/Edexcel/Mechanics/Mechanics-M1/2009-June/paper.php#Q6

Ahh right thanks :smile::biggrin::yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just did the specimen paper, what are the boundaries?
Original post by Thomith
3851e6e6c2ccdbb02b472a5430ede9c5.pngdidnt get chance before so thanks Zacken for helping me last time :smile: . anyways for this question (June 2014 R) for part b) i got that s = 0.3m but the mark scheme says you need to do 0.3 x 2 to get the answer and i don't understand why?

The particle returns to the point where the tension is lost. So it will travel back the same distance hence x 2.
Original post by AlphaArgonian

Arsey's way is superior imo, but hope this helps. For some guy.jpeg
Reply 765
Original post by AlphaArgonian

I used (v-u)/t = acceleration
So : 2i+9j (-3i-3j) divided by t
= (5i + 12j)/t

Gives us the magnitude therefore:
(5/t)^2 + (12/t)^2 = 2.6^2
= 25/(t^2) + 144/(t^2) = 6.76

Multiply all my t^2 to get 169=6.76t^2
SoT= 5

Sub this into the first part (5i +12j)/5 = 1 and 2.4
Reply 766
Original post by Marxist
Arsey's way is superior imo, but hope this helps. For some guy.jpeg

Got there before me :wink:

My method is a tad different tho, shocked I got it right tbh haha. :colondollar:
Reply 767
Original post by Louiseelg0rt
When a vector is A relative to B, is that the same as the vector BA? or is it the vector AB?

A relative to B is BA
Anyone found any *really* hard questions that come up?

And I just can't get my head around "what does inextensible show/how have you used that in your calculation" kinda questions.
Original post by thelegend99

And I just can't get my head around "what does inextensible show/how have you used that in your calculation" kinda questions.

inextinsible string means that acceleration of both particles attached will be the same :smile:
Original post by thelegend99

This is because as soon as one particle moves, the other one moves with it since the string can't stretch!
For vectors, does it matter whether we write them in i + j form, or the other form with the brackets (forgot their name!)?
How do we use the information that the string is light?

Also, for questions where the string breaks, that would mean that the tension in the string is now 0 and so we would have to find the new acceleration for the particle, right?
Original post by thesuperdark
For vectors, does it matter whether we write them in i + j form, or the other form with the brackets (forgot their name!)?

doesn't matter i think, but i usually leave them as i and j as the final answer
Original post by amelienine
How do we use the information that the string is light?

Also, for questions where the string breaks, that would mean that the tension in the string is now 0 and so we would have to find the new acceleration for the particle, right?

i think that means the tension and acceleration are the same
Original post by Don Pedro K.
This is because as soon as one particle moves, the other one moves with it since the string can't stretch!

There u go its the ultimate HARD GOLD TIER M1 !
I hope u like this for practice!
Original post by KloppOClock
i think that means the tension and acceleration are the same

Pretty sure the fact that tension is the same is given by "string passes over a smooth pulley" from what I remember :smile:
What are the grade boundaries for Soloman L? I got 66 and I don't know what sort of UMS that would result in.
Original post by Don Pedro K.
Pretty sure the fact that tension is the same is given by "string passes over a smooth pulley" from what I remember :smile:

if you write both would you get the mark? do they only mark the correct work?
In momentum when two particles collide is the direction of motion of both of them always reversed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending