The Student Room Group

TSR Hindu Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nucdev
I'm away for 4 days and this thread goes dead. As usual :lol:

- Bhagavad Gita 13.30

Lol, had exams so couldn't post.
But for the sake of argument and the life of this thread, allow me to post a question.
Hinduism has existed for at least 4 millennia, during which time it had grown spread to the entire south east asia to the east, to eastern iran and afghanistan in the west, regions which no longer have any native hindu populations.
Do you believe hinduism will last the next 4 millennia, and how do you think it can be revived (I personally think a renaissance is long overdue).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1781
Original post by ssshah2
Lol, had exams so couldn't post.
But for the sake of argument and the life of this thread, allow me to post a question.
Hinduism has existed for at least 4 millennia, during which time it had grown spread to the entire south east asia to the east, to eastern iran and afghanistan in the west, regions which no longer have any native hindu populations.
Do you believe hinduism will last the next 4 millennia, and how do you think it can be revived (I personally think a renaissance is long overdue).

(Sorry about the long arse post) :laugh:

Lmao I deliberately wasn't answering this to give someone else the chance, but let's be real, that probably wasn't going to happen! :rofl:

I think it will survive, but not in the same form that it does today. Simply because it's a living Dharma and it therefore continues to change, evolve, formulate new ideas and reform itself as time goes on. This is something that it has done over the last few millenia and as long as that spirit of change and reform is there, it will continue to not only live, but thrive. It helps that the texts allow for this change.

Lol my mentor always quotes the slogan for the former Orange Mobile Network: "The future's bright, the future's orange!" :lol:
And orange (or saffron) is a significant colour in all 4 Dharmic traditions (Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism). So in effect he's saying that these traditions cannot be fobbed off easily and their ideas will become firmly established in greater society. We already see that with things like Yoga, meditation etc.
They've all endured tremendous shocks and attacks in history and have all survived. In the case of Hinduism, Buddhism and Sikhism, I'd argue that they've become stronger as a result of those shocks.

Back to Hinduism, I think its pluralistic nature and diversity, rather than it being a hindrance, has been and will continue to be something that keeps it alive because it offers something for everybody.
I remember seeing a video of a Christian bishop actually agreeing with this. He said that there's the extremely superstitious and manipulative part which caters to the illiterate villager in India, but there's also the extremely abstract and brilliant philosophy with everything in between.

I think the biggest challenges right now are social; the broader samaj NEEDS to get rid of Jaati pratha (caste system) and the subjugation of women. But as I say, these are social problems rather than religious, because no matter how many famous and influential saints, sages, gurus and swamis preach against these injustices using quotes, examples and teachings from the Hindu scriptures, it won't disappear until there's a movement amongst the masses.

But I'm an optimist - I see change happening all the time and a stirring up amongst society to speak out against these issues. E.g.: the recent cases of women fighting for (and winning) the right to be allowed to enter certain temples and shrines which they were barred from. Also, there are organizations and temple trusts that are training Dalits up to become priests, remembering that some time ago (and even today in some places) they weren't even allowed to go near a temple.

And just to pre-empt the attempt of @Dima-Blackburn to cheekily reduce this long-arse post down to a few lines (like I did with him :toofunny: :rofl:): yes, it will last, but most likely in a different form to how it is today and the renaissance will happen naturally - in fact I'd argue that the seeds have already been sown.
Original post by nucdev
(Sorry about the long arse post) :laugh:

Lmao I deliberately wasn't answering this to give someone else the chance, but let's be real, that probably wasn't going to happen! :rofl:

I think it will survive, but not in the same form that it does today. Simply because it's a living Dharma and it therefore continues to change, evolve, formulate new ideas and reform itself as time goes on. This is something that it has done over the last few millenia and as long as that spirit of change and reform is there, it will continue to not only live, but thrive. It helps that the texts allow for this change.

Lol my mentor always quotes the slogan for the former Orange Mobile Network: "The future's bright, the future's orange!" :lol:
And orange (or saffron) is a significant colour in all 4 Dharmic traditions (Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism). So in effect he's saying that these traditions cannot be fobbed off easily and their ideas will become firmly established in greater society. We already see that with things like Yoga, meditation etc.
They've all endured tremendous shocks and attacks in history and have all survived. In the case of Hinduism, Buddhism and Sikhism, I'd argue that they've become stronger as a result of those shocks.

Back to Hinduism, I think its pluralistic nature and diversity, rather than it being a hindrance, has been and will continue to be something that keeps it alive because it offers something for everybody.
I remember seeing a video of a Christian bishop actually agreeing with this. He said that there's the extremely superstitious and manipulative part which caters to the illiterate villager in India, but there's also the extremely abstract and brilliant philosophy with everything in between.

I think the biggest challenges right now are social; the broader samaj NEEDS to get rid of Jaati pratha (caste system) and the subjugation of women. But as I say, these are social problems rather than religious, because no matter how many famous and influential saints, sages, gurus and swamis preach against these injustices using quotes, examples and teachings from the Hindu scriptures, it won't disappear until there's a movement amongst the masses.

But I'm an optimist - I see change happening all the time and a stirring up amongst society to speak out against these issues. E.g.: the recent cases of women fighting for (and winning) the right to be allowed to enter certain temples and shrines which they were barred from. Also, there are organizations and temple trusts that are training Dalits up to become priests, remembering that some time ago (and even today in some places) they weren't even allowed to go near a temple.

And just to pre-empt the attempt of @Dima-Blackburn to cheekily reduce this long-arse post down to a few lines (like I did with him :toofunny: :rofl:): yes, it will last, but most likely in a different form to how it is today and the renaissance will happen naturally - in fact I'd argue that the seeds have already been sown.

Wow! I am certainly impressed. I had yet to meet somebody whose views on religion line up so closely with mine. Your words indicate that you are somebody who is way more mature beyond his years (here's hoping you're not already past 25 lol). I totally agree with you in that the caste system has to go, it really weakens our religion. I'd love to meet your mentor, where I come from most of my peers couldn't care less about religion.
Well, shree sanathan dharma ki jai :smile:
Reply 1783
Original post by ssshah2
Wow! I am certainly impressed. I had yet to meet somebody whose views on religion line up so closely with mine. Your words indicate that you are somebody who is way more mature beyond his years (here's hoping you're not already past 25 lol). I totally agree with you in that the caste system has to go, it really weakens our religion. I'd love to meet your mentor, where I come from most of my peers couldn't care less about religion.
Well, shree sanathan dharma ki jai :smile:

Lol thanks :biggrin:
Actually I am 25 :lol:

I've added my mentor's YouTube channel to the OP of this thread, so you can check it out: Hindu Academy.

Sanatan Dharma ki Jai!
Original post by nucdev
Lol thanks :biggrin:
Actually I am 25 :lol:

I've added my mentor's YouTube channel to the OP of this thread, so you can check it out: Hindu Academy.

Sanatan Dharma ki Jai!

Your mentor was born in my country! :biggrin::tongue:
Reply 1785
Original post by ssshah2
Your mentor was born in my country! :biggrin::tongue:

Kenya???? :lol:
My parents and both of my grandmothers were born there as well!
Original post by nucdev

Woah! You're a Gujju of Kenyan roots?! Might I assume your surname ends in Shah as well :biggrin::tongue:
Original post by nucdev

Ever been here?
Reply 1788
Original post by ssshah2
Woah! You're a Gujju of Kenyan roots?! Might I assume your surname ends in Shah as well :biggrin::tongue:

Well, you'd be wrong :lol:
People with my surname are like your rivals (at least us lot think that anyway :laugh:)

Other Gujjus of Kenyan roots on here are @spv and @ravioliyears btw
Original post by nucdev
People with my surname are like your rivals (at least us lot think that anyway :laugh:)

Lol you're a patel?! 😂😂😂
Reply 1790
Original post by ssshah2
Lol you're a patel?! 😂😂😂
Yeah :rofl:
Original post by ssshah2
Ever been here?

Nope, but I'd love to visit and see Nairobi especially!
Original post by nucdev

Lol before applying to the UK i was warned that ex-kenyans infested london 😂😂😂😂
Apparently many at the uni I'll join
Reply 1792
Hi I want to join
Original post by ppjk
Hi I want to join

Just click the 'watch' button at the top.
Reply 1794
Original post by ssshah2
Lol before applying to the UK i was warned that ex-kenyans infested london 😂😂😂😂
Apparently many at the uni I'll join

LMFAOOOOOOO we do! :biggrin:

Original post by ppjk
Hi I want to join

I've invited you to be a member :smile:
Original post by nucdev
LMFAOOOOOOO we do! :biggrin:

No wonder they call London posh Nairobi :biggrin:

Loool realised I'm going to the same uni as your mentor as well
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ssshah2
Lol you're a patel?! 😂😂😂

Lmfao your reaction tho 😅😅😅
Original post by nucdev

Yepp! My dad was born in Mombasa :biggrin:
Original post by ravioliyears
Lmfao your reaction tho 😅😅😅

Yepp! My dad was born in Mombasa :biggrin:

Lol what can I say, in Nairobi, Patels and Shahs have rival schools. (Ignoring the fact that I have several Patel relatives and friends). I was simply taken aback as @nucdev seemed so smart :biggrin::tongue:

Its quite nice to meet (ex) Kenyans on TSR. You ought to visit Kenya, bring your tourism money to fill the pockets of my fellow kenyans :tongue:.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1798
Original post by ssshah2
Lol what can I say, in Nairobi, Patels and Shahs have rival schools. (Ignoring the fact that I have several Patel relatives and friends). I was simply taken aback as @nucdev seemed so smart :biggrin::tongue:

Ooooooh! Right in the heart! :rofl:

Its quite nice to meet (ex) Kenyans on TSR. You ought to visit Kenya, bring your tourism money to fill the pockets of my fellow kenyans :tongue:.

Typical Vania/Bania behaviour :teehee:
:toofunny:
Original post by nucdev
Ooooooh! Right in the heart! :rofl:

Typical Vania/Bania behaviour :teehee:
:toofunny:

Loool, runs in the blood :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending