The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elivercury
There is no encouragement. The question was "what do you think of this girl who wears too much makeup, I think she's gross" (paraphrasing).

Ultimately her makeup is her business and no one else's - there is no encouraging going on, simply leaving her to her business. Does she wear too much make-up? Possibly. Is it any of your concern? Not in the slightest.

Do you go around suggesting to ugly women (or men?) that they put more makeup on to try and improve things?

No I do not, plus ugly is subjective, but you have failed to understand my point
Reply 21
Original post by Blue_Mason
Yes I have seen that video, I remember she did a program about cyber bullying

It really frustrated me when the video said "Respect yourself you damn sl**". Just because she wears makeup and I wear make up me a s*** it doesn't make me a slut. I find it ridiculous that people think they can call other people s**** even when they don't know the MEANING of the word. I wear makeup to express myself. I don't wear makeup to impress other people.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's beyond me still what this thread is about still.

OP, when was the last time you observed this happening in, dare I say it...real life?
Original post by hezzlington
It's beyond me still what this thread is about still.

OP, when was the last time you observed this happening in, dare I say it...real life?

Well I am not sorry that your comprehension skills are not up to par
On my free time, I witness examples of it, even on Monday I saw a good example of coddling.
Well I am not sorry that your comprehension skills are not up to par
On my free time, I witness examples of it, even on Monday I saw a good example of coddling.

Can't blame me, you're being vague.

What was the example you saw, I take it it was in person?
Original post by hezzlington
Can't blame me, you're being vague.

What was the example you saw, I take it it was in person?

Okay a work colleague was complaining that nobody in the office likes her, and her friend was telling her that she was beautiful, smart and that she will find a man that will take care of her, meanwhile this woman is difficult to work with, is on the chubby side and eats McDonalds whilst browsing the daily mail.
Instead of correcting her flaws she just expect to be coddled
Okay a work colleague was complaining that nobody in the office likes her, and her friend was telling her that she was beautiful, smart and that she will find a man that will take care of her, meanwhile this woman is difficult to work with, is on the chubby side and eats McDonalds whilst browsing the daily mail.
Instead of correcting her flaws she just expect to be coddled

sigh.
I agree with this guy. Everybody thinks they deserve everything handed to them on a plate. It is because their perception of themself is skewed due to years of coddling from their parents
It’s society today that we compliment each other on social media If they have posted it. Youth culture today contains a lot of complimenting and the phrase ‘coddling’, lots of people support one another. I guess this leads to people wanting more attention and judging e.g instagram likes but that leads onto a whole another topic. The girl with acne situation - the right reply would be to lift the person up, saying it is their own choice and thats okay, so many people have acne and it’s okay to cover it up.

Giving someone support during a rough patch makes complete sense.
I would say yes as someone who learnt the hard way from it...... :moon:
Okay let me give you an example, there was a thread about a young girl who mask her face with makeup to cover her acne.
I was saying that it was wrong to encourage her, but others were saying the opposite

This isn’t coddling or a small rough patch.

Latest