The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elizabeth_rose14
For tectonics extrusive landforms (espically minor) hasn't come up yet so that could be quite likely

both have come up, minor came up in jun 11 and major came up in jun 12 but thats a while ago so I guess its still possible
Anyone else doing the 40 marker first?

My plan:
5 minute plan 60 minute writing - 40 marker
7 marker - 10 mins
8 marker - 12 mins
10 marker - 15 mins
Original post by tcameron
Hm that is actually a hard one for just seismic and not volcanic as well :/
Probably mention how much major earthquakes happen on the pacific ring of fire - supporting idea that plates are constantly diverging and converging - as earthquakes can happen on all plate boundaries the interactions can lead to seismic events
Maybe mention the evidence that supports the idea that the lithosphere is broken apart and so can achieve seismic events
I think you just need to use examples really
I'm actually not even sure

For a point against plate tectonic theory :

- You can talk about intraplate earthquakes such as Gujarat in 2001 - which was thought to have been created due to rifting on gondwana in the jurrasic period :smile:

A weak point could also be like human caused seismic events Fracking - leading to earthquakes
Original post by Sacred Ground
Anyone else doing the 40 marker first?

My plan:
5 minute plan 60 minute writing - 40 marker
7 marker - 10 mins
8 marker - 12 mins
10 marker - 15 mins

Planning on choosing the easier of the two essays I can write in comparison to the structured questions for plates/ecosystems, little plan of the essay to start me off then move onto the structured questions before going back to the essay - hopefully to remember a few other things.
Original post by TJ_gym
What is the best MEDC earthquake to compare to Haiti Earthquake? I want a case study has clear comparisons between a developed country and less developed... I have Japan 2011 currently, however it doesn't show very effective comparisons..

Chile 2010
Are tsunami's classified as seismic events ??
Original post by Pterofyre
Planning on choosing the easier of the two essays I can write in comparison to the structured questions for plates/ecosystems, little plan of the essay to start me off then move onto the structured questions before going back to the essay - hopefully to remember a few other things.

Ooh, I do like this idea actually! I just want to get th 40 marker over with haha
Reply 1307
What were the building of the l'aquila earthquake like.... In terms of structure... CSD please ?? X
Original post by SubwayLover1
For a point against plate tectonic theory :

- You can talk about intraplate earthquakes such as Gujarat in 2001 - which was thought to have been created due to rifting on gondwana in the jurrasic period :smile:

A weak point could also be like human caused seismic events Fracking - leading to earthquakes

Is fracking really a valid point because the mechanism that causes the earthquake still occurs
What's Restless Earth?
Is fracking really a valid point because the mechanism that causes the earthquake still occurs

Is this for a 40 marker?
Original post by SubwayLover1
Are tsunami's classified as seismic events ??

No, they're secondary hazards of earthquakes
But they are tectonic hazards
Hi people, does anyone have any predictions for the short answer questions for:

Tectonics.
Ecosystems.
Development and Globalisation.

Thank you!
Original post by Sacred Ground
Ooh, I do like this idea actually! I just want to get th 40 marker over with haha

Ha definitely! I'd get it over and done with but I'm worried I'll run out of time if I rush straight into it.

I'm really worrying about the exam, though. I've been doing my A-Levels for 5 years (took me 4 to accept I can't do maths lol), so I'm doing the Geography A-Level in a year (the A2 section on my own) so I've got a lot riding on this paper.. just extremely concerned I'm gonna fck something up.

I think as long as you plan it along the lines of:

Intro:
para 1:
K, C/S, CU, Syn
para 2:
K, C/S, CU, Syn
Conclusion

Should be fairly fine. My AS teacher drummed it into me, to get the Level 4 you need to include and develop on those. Always link it back to the question and always mention key terms involved in the question (to support the linking)

However trying to link everything together whilst writing the essay compared with what I've just typed is obviously extremely difficult! lol.

That being said, if anything to do with tropical biome and changing features come up for the Ecosystems essay I'll definitely be doing that. Other than that, I think I'll be doing the Tectonic essay (praying that the theory comes up again, it last came up in June 2012..)
Reply 1314
Does anyone have the exam papers pre- Jan 2013? The AQA website's past papers don't go back very far :frown:
Original post by TJ_gym
What is the best MEDC earthquake to compare to Haiti Earthquake? I want a case study has clear comparisons between a developed country and less developed... I have Japan 2011 currently, however it doesn't show very effective comparisons..
Christchurch Earthquake February 2011 - very good for comparing the response of the New Zealand emergency services with the Haitian response
Hi,
My predictions are
Tectonics 7/8/10- Earthquakes case studies comparing nature and impacts. Causes and characteristics of earthquakes.
Conflict 7/8/10- causes and consequences of separatism OR multicultural societies
World Cities 40marker- Retail or causes and effects of urbanisation processes.

But fracking can cause earthquakes due to faults e.g strike slip . It doesn't have to be at a plate margin.
For ecosystems? For a form of succession do we just need to know the different stages of, say, a hydrosere succession or a specific example such as Sweetmere, Shropshire?
No, they're secondary hazards of earthquakes
But they are tectonic hazards

So if it said ' seismic event' you can't use tsunamis e.g You can't use the Tohuku earthquake in 2011?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending