The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Clovers
In momentum when two particles collide is the direction of motion of both of them always reversed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it'll usually specify in the question.
Original post by amelienine
doesn't matter i think, but i usually leave them as i and j as the final answer

ahh ok, it's just that I find it hard to work in the i + j form...I might just do all the working in the other form and then convert it in the end.

Thanks
Original post by Clovers
In momentum when two particles collide is the direction of motion of both of them always reversed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

no they could join together, or one could change direction
When doing momentum/impulse questions, if you're told the two initial speeds and one speed after the collision, does it matter whether you put v or -v for the final speed you're trying to find?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Joiner
When doing momentum/impulse questions, if you're told the two initial speeds and one speed after the collision, does it matter whether you put v or -v for the final speed you're trying to find?

Posted from TSR Mobile

turn your speeds into velocities, then solve for V. If V is positive you will get a positive result, etc
Original post by KloppOClock
if you write both would you get the mark? do they only mark the correct work?

I'm not sure :s I wouldn't risk it tbh!
Original post by Don Joiner

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, as long as you set one direction as positive then the sign of your answer will tell you what direction the particle moves after the collision. So stick with using only v, never -v.
So do we need to know how to use unit vectors or not?
How do you solve this question:
A particle p moves with constant acceleration (-3i+j). At time t seconds, its velocity is v. When t = 0, v = 5i-3j. Find the value of t when P is moving parallel to the vector i.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fpmaniac
How do you solve this question:
A particle p moves with constant acceleration (-3i+j). At time t seconds, its velocity is v. When t = 0, v = 5i-3j. Find the value of t when P is moving parallel to the vector.

parallel to which vector?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZiqBksUHNYbDBBREF2ek9oUVk/view?pref=2&pli=1
Question 3, if I find W first then use it to calculate R, will I still get full marks, because the mark scheme says not.
If I give my final answer correctly to 3 s.f. but the mark scheme only shows the answer as a fraction, will I get the answer mark? I'm really confused as they advise to give answers to 2/3 s.f. :s-smilie:
Original post by Not_a_horse
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZiqBksUHNYbDBBREF2ek9oUVk/view?pref=2&pli=1
Question 3, if I find W first then use it to calculate R, will I still get full marks, because the mark scheme says not.

If the mark scheme says you won't, then I'm afraid that means you won't get the marks :s! I think it is because the first part specifically states "show that blah blah blah".
Original post by Kamara7
If I give my final answer correctly to 3 s.f. but the mark scheme only shows the answer as a fraction, will I get the answer mark? I'm really confused as they advise to give answers to 2/3 s.f. :s-smilie:

if it says awrt then yes, if not, probably not.

Did you use an aproximation in your method such as g?

also if you wrote the answer as a fraction before you rounded it they should mark it correct and ignore subsequent working i think
Original post by Kamara7

Question paper?
parallel to which vector?

oops. meant to say vector i.
Original post by fpmaniac
oops. meant to say vector i.

when its parallel to i, the sum of the J components will be 0.

look at how you work out its current position r=r0+vt

then set the J component of the right hand side of that equation to 0, solve for t
Can anyone do this momentum/impulse question?

The mark scheme shows:

33/5mu = 2m(-v--4u)

I don't get how they've got both the 4u and the v as negative since the question States P is moving due east?

I can't make sense of it

Posted from TSR Mobile
when its parallel to i, the sum of the J components will be 0.

look at how you work out its current position r=r0+vt

then set the J component of the right hand side of that equation to 0, solve for t

I dont understand what you do sorry. What do you o with the v
Reply 799
Can anyone help me with this question on vectors

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending