The Student Room Group

AQA AS BIO Unit 2 OLD SPEC RESIT Tue 7th June (pm) 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by g123456789
Was it though? thought it was more like antibiotic food increases resistance, antibiotic food is much more expensive so not viable for farmers trying to make profits etc.

other techniques used such as selective breeding as one of the points
Original post by kimmm123
I think Haemoglobin one was 141 amino acids so 141 x 3 =423

Yeah it was, even googled it now and it said 141 amino acids.
human faeces= more likely to cause disease to scientists/cholera making scientists ill/kill scientists, compare chicken faeces to human faeces, last question could be also converse, how antibiotics enable a selective advantage to resistant bacteria??
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 463
Original post by WhoDaresWins
I'm pretty sure the alpha haemoglobin question was 141*3 = 423, it said 144 in the beta.

Yep thanks for correction :smile:
Reply 464
Original post by jamessmith15
other techniques used such as selective breeding as one of the points

Thanks im putting this in mark scheme :smile:
Original post by Suits101
Did anyone put for the plant one about the temporary whatever:

Collect a thin layer of cells so light can pass through

yeah i did!
Did anyone put for the plant one about the temporary whatever:

Collect a thin layer of cells so light can pass through

Yeah i put something along the lines of having a thin layer of the leaf and staining it??? Anyone know if this was right?
Original post by Ordo
Thanks im putting this in mark scheme :smile:

The paper had 9 questions, I can only count 8 at the moment, do you know the missing one?

Classification
Plants
Hb
Bacteria resistance
Mes-something artery
Insects
Species diversity
Genetic diversity
Original post by lahigueraxxx
It was all fine until that question on the mesenteric artery.... after that I was just lost

Omg same i was just like wtf is this?!
The paper had 9 questions, I can only count 8 at the moment, do you know the missing one?

Classification
Plants
Hb
Bacteria resistance
Mes-something artery
Insects
Species diversity
Genetic diversity

Cell Cycle :smile:
Original post by CTLevers
Cell Cycle :smile:

Thanks! :smile:
Did anyone know what other conclusions scientists could make for that artery question? I had no idea.
Reply 472

Classification
Plants
Hb
Bacteria resistance
Mes-something artery
Insects
Species diversity
Genetic diversity

I think I got all the topics but some questions are missing. Hopefully I go over unit 2 paper with my teachers tomorrow and then sort out to make proper MS. :smile:
Original post by g123456789
Was it though? thought it was more like antibiotic food increases resistance, antibiotic food is much more expensive so not viable for farmers trying to make profits etc.

Your right soz, since antibiotics not used,food is more expensive
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by philo-jitsu
The mean number of cholorplasts....i wrote out to work out the amount in a whole leaf....then i reread the question and crossed it out because it says the mean number of chloroplasts in a palisade cell of a leaf....which i would assume means per cell...not per leaf...surely it means per cell not leaf!?!?!

Otherwise you would have to workout the average chloroplasts per micrometer....and then find the average chloroplasts per micro for each leaf....then alply to volume of a leaf....seems like alot for 3 marks....but the alternative seems like too little for three....damn i dont know now!!

I am pretty sure they asked us to estimate the number of chloroplasts in the mesophyll cells in a leaf, not a cell.

Original post by Gianni.G
Some people are saying they drew 2 circles for the genus and one in each for the species. But didnt the Q ask for the tiger only? so it would have only been two cicles in total for the genus and species?

Nope. They definitely asked us to draw circles for both the tiger and the clouded leopard.
Original post by fanta0904
omg what about the question about seeing if the 2 types of bacteria, one from the farmer and one from another thing, were the same by using DNA???

I talked about DNA hybridisation and compare the separation temperature of the mixed one to that of a normal bacterium. Any significant deviations from the normal one(doesn't matter which one you use I suppose, if they were indeed identical that is) would mean that they are not identical bacteria.
Original post by Anialookhan
Do you have the answer for 9c
The scientists followed strick safety guidelines when collecting samples of faeces. Apart from the risk of contamination from e.coli this was especially important when collecting
Explain why

I just put there may be other dangerous bacteria present in the faeces.
Original post by CourtlyCanter
I talked about DNA hybridisation and compare the separation temperature of the mixed one to that of a normal bacterium. Any significant deviations from the normal one(doesn't matter which one you use I suppose, if they were indeed identical that is) would mean that they are not identical bacteria.

What did you put for the species diversity one?

The one about making conclusions and then the one about what additional steps should be made?

I said that no definite conclusion can be made because both conclusions contradict each other.

For addition steps, I said repeat the investigation by another group to identify and reduce the effect of anomalies, share findings and use statistical tests to see if results are significant/due to chance?
What did you guys do for the first circle questions? I put 2 pairs of separate circles as the genus and species was different- so 4 circles in total ?
Original post by student277
What did you guys do for the first circle questions? I put 2 pairs of separate circles as the genus and species was different- so 4 circles in total ?

2 non overlapping circles inside the smallest circle on the diagram to represent the genus and then another circle drawn in each of those circles to represent the species - so yes 4 in total :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending