The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Music 2015/2016 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lucyh222
My music teacher suggested that in section B a comparison question could come up to compare similarities and differences , do you know anything about this ? :smile:

No, my teacher hasn't said anything about that. I guess anything is possible but I doubt Edexcel will drop that on us with no form of a warning but who knows?:smile:
Does anyone know where to get the timings for all the Edexcel music past papers? I want to do them as revision but can't without knowing the timings for each extract!!
Original post by Rebecca-Joseph
No, my teacher hasn't said anything about that. I guess anything is possible but I doubt Edexcel will drop that on us with no form of a warning but who knows?:smile:

No it is always essay questions and they can't change it without a warning
Original post by Crabber25
Does anyone know where to get the timings for all the Edexcel music past papers? I want to do them as revision but can't without knowing the timings for each extract!!

If you type in on Google GCSE music edexcel audio files, the student room link will come up, click on that and all of the files from 2011-2014 are ready to download. As for the 2015 paper, somebody on this page posted them a few days ago so look back at the old chats and they'll be there to download.
Original post by rileypa

Oh yeah true *sigh of relief*
Original post by Rebecca-Joseph
If you type in on Google GCSE music edexcel audio files, the student room link will come up, click on that and all of the files from 2011-2014 are ready to download. As for the 2015 paper, somebody on this page posted them a few days ago so look back at the old chats and they'll be there to download.

Thank you so much!!
Original post by Crabber25
Thank you so much!!

No problem
I'm pretty sure Edexcel could easily drop in a comparison question without warning, I mean yes it's unfair but they can do what they like really.
Reply 128
Original post by lilmiss_lg
I'm pretty sure Edexcel could easily drop in a comparison question without warning, I mean yes it's unfair but they can do what they like really.

I will fail completely if they do! 😭😭😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 129
Original post by rileypa

Well it looks like they actually have given us some warning. In the spec it states: "Questions may concentrate on one or more set works and could ask for a comparison between two set works (within the same Area of Study or from two different Areas of Study)"

It's possible, but it seems a bit weird that they haven't done one of these comparison questions yet.
Reply 130
Original post by hh5
Well it looks like they actually have given us some warning. In the spec it states: "Questions may concentrate on one or more set works and could ask for a comparison between two set works (within the same Area of Study or from two different Areas of Study)"

It's possible, but it seems a bit weird that they haven't done one of these comparison questions yet.

Oh God you're right!! Please no, if they give us that I'm completely screwed. Who thinks it's likely??

Posted from TSR Mobile
quick question, if I get a C on the exam, and i got an A in performance and A* in composition what overall grade would I come out with?
Original post by Kxjzh
Oh God you're right!! Please no, if they give us that I'm completely screwed. Who thinks it's likely??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's quite possible that either Handel Or capercaillie will be an easy question, and then the other option will be a comparison. Think about it, there's only 2 pieces they haven't given as essays so one will come up with year, and one will come up next year. But you still near a second option, and it's pretty unlikely they will give a piece they've already given in the past, so it's most likely going to come up for us. But hopefully (let's all just pray to God) that Handel is our option so we dont have to pick the comparison question... 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 133
Original post by nicolxkub
I think it's quite possible that either Handel Or capercaillie will be an easy question, and then the other option will be a comparison. Think about it, there's only 2 pieces they haven't given as essays so one will come up with year, and one will come up next year. But you still near a second option, and it's pretty unlikely they will give a piece they've already given in the past, so it's most likely going to come up for us. But hopefully (let's all just pray to God) that Handel is our option so we dont have to pick the comparison question... 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really hope you're right! Don't need anything more to stress me out!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kxjzh
I really hope you're right! Don't need anything more to stress me out!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah same 😂 but really if you think about it, it would be quite logical to only give one of them as a comparison question, and the other an essay. Edexcel don't write papers to be unfair, so I really highly doubt both the options in section B will be a comparison, they don't want to catch students of guard. The question is, do we get Handel or capercaillie????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 135
Original post by nicolxkub
Yeah same 😂 but really if you think about it, it would be quite logical to only give one of them as a comparison question, and the other an essay. Edexcel don't write papers to be unfair, so I really highly doubt both the options in section B will be a comparison, they don't want to catch students of guard. The question is, do we get Handel or capercaillie????

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's more likely to be Capercaille and Handel a listening, just looking at the previous papers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kxjzh
I think it's more likely to be Capercaille and Handel a listening, just looking at the previous papers!

Posted from TSR Mobile

God knows 😕 I guess we'll just have to wait and see 😟

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah well Handel and Capercaillie are the only ones that have never come up! (I think...)

I think it's unlikely for them to put in a comparison because they've never done it, ever, and there's no material at all to suggest what it might be like. So it'd be a little harsh... But then again, they might, especially seeing that it's the first year that there are only two set works left that haven't come up before.

So I think it's likely that there'll be one traditional question on Handel or Capercaillie, and one on either another work or a comparison essay. That would make it not too predictable but not unfair either. Either way this is all speculation and I think it's safe to just revise Handel and Capercaillie especially hard just in case.

Anyone know if you're allowed an additional answer booklet/paper for section B? I usually go over....
Reply 138
Could anyone give an example of what this comparison question might be like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 139
Original post by damfal03
Yeah well Handel and Capercaillie are the only ones that have never come up! (I think...)

I think it's unlikely for them to put in a comparison because they've never done it, ever, and there's no material at all to suggest what it might be like. So it'd be a little harsh... But then again, they might, especially seeing that it's the first year that there are only two set works left that haven't come up before.

So I think it's likely that there'll be one traditional question on Handel or Capercaillie, and one on either another work or a comparison essay. That would make it not too predictable but not unfair either. Either way this is all speculation and I think it's safe to just revise Handel and Capercaillie especially hard just in case.

Anyone know if you're allowed an additional answer booklet/paper for section B? I usually go over....

Yes, you can get more paper :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending