The Student Room Group

OCR FSMQ Additional Maths 6th June 2016 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

In question 11 part ii, my answer was slightly wrong- as it included -20,000t and not 24,000t. Based on this value, my working for the other parts were correct. Will I get marks for those questions? To lose 9 marks because of one simple error would be extremely annoying- especially when if I get those marks I should be able to reach an A!!
Original post by 11owolea
In question 11 part ii, my answer was slightly wrong- as it included -20,000t and not 24,000t. Based on this value, my working for the other parts were correct. Will I get marks for those questions? To lose 9 marks because of one simple error would be extremely annoying- especially when if I get those marks I should be able to reach an A!!

Yeah definitely. From all the mark schemes, say for example there are 5 steps for 5 marks and you make the mistake on the third step, usually what happens is you would drop the mark for the mistake and the answer mark, however you would get the other 3 marks. but obviously this depends on whether the answer to the fourth step is correct based on the third.
Original post by kennethdcharles
Yeah definitely. From all the mark schemes, say for example there are 5 steps for 5 marks and you make the mistake on the third step, usually what happens is you would drop the mark for the mistake and the answer mark, however you would get the other 3 marks. but obviously this depends on whether the answer to the fourth step is correct based on the third.

Yeah, I checked my working based on the wrong answer and it was correct- should save me 7 marks!
would an A be possible with 55 marks? lol
Original post by TrumpIsFancy
would an A be possible with 55 marks? lol

That's pushing it a lot, but it's not completely impossible.
Original post by marioman
That's pushing it a lot, but it's not completely impossible.

:frown:(( btw idk why but i did the past papers and got over 75 in them and on this i doubt i got 60 marks. in 2011 it was 62 for an A and it was extremely easy compared to this.
Here's my unofficial mark scheme for the OCR Add Maths 2016 exam. Let me know if you spot any errors or, more likely, omissions. It's late, I'm tired and I've not had time to check it over thoroughly!

Edit: I've noticed one small error: In Q.3, the x = 233.1° answer is in the third quadrant, not the first. Comes from copying and pasting from the line above and changng the values!

On student questions about follow-through (f/t) errors: Generally you can collect M1 marks even if you slip-up earlier in your workings. A1s are for accuracy so you can't get those, and B1s tend to be similar for intermediate values. So, for example, the first mark in Q.1 is a B1 because you can't expect to get a mark for expanding a bracket wrongly!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reesharr
Here's my unofficial mark scheme for the OCR Add Maths 2016 exam. Let me know if you spot any errors or, more likely, omissions. It's late, I'm tired and I've not had time to check it over thoroughly!

thanks dude the mark scheme is great and detailed :smile:
Do you guys think I'll pass with roughly 45 marks

On student questions about follow-through (f/t) errors: Generally you can collect M1 marks even if you slip-up earlier in your workings. A1s are for accuracy so you can't get those, and B1s tend to be similar for intermediate values. So, for example, the first mark in Q.1 is a B1 because you can't expect to get a mark for expanding a bracket wrongly!

Ok thanks! So for Q5 if I used the right bounds for sides a and b but then used 19.5 instead of 20.5 for for c and then worked out the angle correctly with those values would that just be M1 then? In my school they are pretty generous and sometimes even give M1A1.
Original post by elliebaxterx
Do you guys think I'll pass with roughly 45 marks

You will definitely pass! That will probably be a B or a C depending on grade boundaries (probably scraping a B imo because I think the boundaries will be low).
I'm a bit surprised about references to the grade boundary for an A being "around 70." I've attached a list of historic grade boundaries for OCR Additional Maths and the grade boundary varies between 61 and 72 marks, with the latter a real exception, as shown in the attached PDF.

For grade A the marks from 2010 to 2015 have been respectively: 61, 62, 64, 72, 67, 68, with a mean of 65.7

So for this paper I would hazard a guess that the A grade boundary will be at the lower end of that range eg, around 61-62.

For a grade B, the corresponding marks have been 52, 53, 55, 62, 58, 59.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by verbs36
Ok thanks! So for Q5 if I used the right bounds for sides a and b but then used 19.5 instead of 20.5 for for c and then worked out the angle correctly with those values would that just be M1 then? In my school they are pretty generous and sometimes even give M1A1.

I can't comment for OCR.

One of my colleagues is an Edexcel A-level maths examiner and he says they're required to do their level best to award marks if it's possible. So if a student crosses out work which was actually right, they'll still get the marks, although that becomes a grey area if you've replaced it by a different wrong way.

I find it really difficult to believe what my colleague says that you can still get marks if you put down two different ways of working through a problem, one of which is wrong - but then I'm not an examiner - too much work!

Thanks so much for this, really eased my mind. I find that if an exam is a bit mixed, I only remember the questions which went badly, giving me a really distorted view of how I did overall. This put it in perspective for me, so thank you!
On all of the other papers i was getting 98 and now im praying for a b this is fuking ********, ocr can literally eat **** for all i care
Original post by mathooo
On all of the other papers i was getting 98 and now im praying for a b this is fuking ********, ocr can literally eat **** for all i care

You have to view Add Maths rather differently to GCSEs, assuming that's the comparison you're making. You're essentially doing an AS sampler paper. In fact some questions are more difficult than their equivalent in Edexcel C2.

So "just" getting a C shows you have an understanding of maths above that needed for GCSE Higher Maths and will stand you in good stead. Not least, you should find C1 a breeze!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a bit surprised about references to the grade boundary for an A being "around 70." I've attached a list of historic grade boundaries for OCR Additional Maths and the grade boundary varies between 61 and 72 marks, with the latter a real exception, as shown in the attached PDF.

For grade A from 2010 to 2016 the marks from 2010 to 2015 have been respectively: 61, 62, 64, 72, 67, 68, with a mean of 65.7

So for this paper I would hazard a guess that the A grade boundary will be at the lower end of that range eg, around 61-62.

For a grade B, the corresponding marks have been 52, 53, 55, 62, 58, 59.

Wouldn't a high 50 be more likely (57-59)? Seeing as the 2011 (62 for A) paper was, in my mind, a fairly straightforward and easy paper - the questions "fit the mould" that OCR has developed over the years. Whereas this paper seemed foreign and completely different; an anomaly.
Original post by DontSweatIt
Wouldn't a high 50 be more likely (57-59)? Seeing as the 2011 (62 for A) paper was, in my mind, a fairly straightforward and easy paper - the questions "fit the mould" that OCR has developed over the years. Whereas this paper seemed foreign and completely different; an anomaly.

Very difficult to say. There's been a growing trend at A-level towards questions involving greater degrees of problem-solving, and this may have filtered down to Add Maths. It's certainly a feature of the new maths GCSE - and even the old GCSE, viz the sweets problem last year.

The techniques needed to complete the Add Maths paper were fairly standard. What changed was the way in which questions were posed eg, the roof question only involved 3 linked right-angled triangles but visualising the problem in the first place was quite difficult. The same could be said of the buns/loaves problem.

What is unclear is the degree to which Add Maths examinees across the country are being taught to problem-solve. If the number is small then the grade boundaries are likely to drop significantly; if it is large, then they won't.

Despite periodic complaints from my A-level students I feed them a varied diet of problems across all Boards which they say "...are more difficult than questions that have appeared on past papers." But it does develop resilience in the face of unexpected questions. It also prepares students for the sort of questions you may be asked at Russell Group unis et al. So I put up with the complaints! ;-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edit: I've noticed one small error: In Q.3, the x = 233.1° answer is in the third quadrant, not the first. Comes from copying and pasting from the line above and changng the values!

Thank you immensely! I'll link this one to the OP.
Original post by mathooo

I am so glad someone else found this exam so difficult omg it was horrific

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending