The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by metrize
You can choose what direction you want to call positive

But the question tells you they're moving in opposite directions! So it doesn't make sense for you to label them as both positive!!

Also why have you used -33/mu ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 841
Need help on 8d june 2005 please, don't understand where the mark scheme got "Distance travelled by 2nd player = 13.8 6 = 6.8"
https://ce0f1d00673c9b9787bbeaa1aa089c01a93530c8.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYczJQc2YxN0hpWjA/Edexcel-Set-2/Ch.6%20Vectors.pdf
Original post by djmans
can someone tell me what r is ?

R is the final position vector, R0 is the initial position vector :smile:
Original post by djmans
can someone tell me what r is ?

current location depending on t
Original post by Don Joiner
But the question tells you they're moving in opposite directions! So it doesn't make sense for you to label them as both positive!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

look at my workings out that i posted before.
Original post by KloppOClock
as i said before, if you use an aproxamation such as g in your answer, you have to round.

In jan 2011 you were doing vectors which is fine.

in june 2011 you assumed that gravity equals 9.8 so you must round to 2 or 3 sf.
it says this on the front of the exam paper

Ohhhh, got ya now, thanks! :biggrin: This exam's more pernickety than I thought, oh god

Posted from TSR Mobile

P keep moving in the same direction, just watch examsolutions video if you dont understand its hard to explain in text.

Impule acts in opposite direction of motion
Original post by Kamara7
That's what I thought but :dontknow:

sdfjn.png
um hi, i have a question from a pulley section of the paper... https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZiqBksUHNYNElKeXlHRkVGMUk/view - it is question 5b and the markscheme says the distance is times by 2 so the total distance is 0.6 but i dont understand why it is.

markscheme: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZiqBksUHNYWTJndDFMWVV4ckU/view
What do you do when one vector is North-west or South-East etc of another vector?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you do when one vector is North-west or South-East etc of another vector?

Posted from TSR Mobile

when northwest vector is -i + j

so get the i components equal to -m
get the j components equal to m
and solve
when northwest vector is -i + j

so get the i components equal to -m
get the j components equal to m
and solve

You know for that question you answered just know to do with being parallel to vector i? Did you get t = 3?
sdfjn.png

Interesting...

2016-06-07 (5).png

Maybe they recently included that because they didn't put that in the papers I was using
Original post by Kamara7
Interesting...

2016-06-07 (5).png

Maybe they recently included that because they didn't put that in the papers I was using

2014+ , altho this has always been the case since 2001
Original post by Don Pedro K.
You know for that question you answered just know to do with being parallel to vector i? Did you get t = 3?

which question was this again?
which question was this again?

the one where the guy forgot the say which vector it was parallel to in the OP.
2014+ , altho this has always been the case since 2001

And I literally find this out the day before the exam :lol: I probably would've lost a lot of unnecessary marks in the exam tomorrow if I didn't know this, I'll thank you again :adore: :biggrin: I hope there aren't any more of these subtleties I don't know about...
Original post by Don Pedro K.
the one where the guy forgot the say which vector it was parallel to in the OP.

A particle p moves with constant acceleration (-3i+j). At time t seconds, its velocity is v. When t = 0, v = 5i-3j. Find the value of t when P is moving parallel to the vector i.

V = (5-3t)i + (t-3)j

Parallel to i when j=0

t-3 = 0

t = 3
Original post by Kamara7
And I literally find this out the day before the exam :lol: I probably would've lost a lot of unnecessary marks in the exam tomorrow if I didn't know this, I'll thank you again :adore: :biggrin: I hope there aren't any more of these subtleties I don't know about...

triple check if the question is asking for acceleration or deceleration, velocity or speed.

also if asking for direction of particle after colission, i dont 100% think you can say direction changed, i think you have to say something like its going the original direction of say b
A particle p moves with constant acceleration (-3i+j). At time t seconds, its velocity is v. When t = 0, v = 5i-3j. Find the value of t when P is moving parallel to the vector i.

V = (5-3t)i + (t-3)j

Parallel to i when j=0

t-3 = 0

t = 3

Okay good I got that too :smile: Man, I've been doing M1 questions since like 9 this morning... THIS BETTER PAY OFF TOMORROW

Quick Reply

Latest