The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 - 15th June, 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Can someone explain why sometimes you used n+1/2 and sometimes n/2 for the median. Which one do I use and where.

Anyone have tips on how to not make stupid mistakes. I am scared ill make a stupid mistake part a and carry it through to part f. ;(

I need to get at least 65 to make sure I have a solid A. I got 60/75 for C1 and 70/75 for C2
Guys, in the normal distribution questions, how are we supposed to know exactly what value of z to take when given probabilities?

For example, say I was given that the probability of getting less than a certain value X is 0.95. So I go to the table to find out what value of z will give a probability of 0.95, but the closest z values you can get are 1.64 and 1.65, which give probabilities of 0.9495 and 0.9505, respectively. I had no clue how I was supposed to choose between the two, so I just went with 1.65.

In the mark scheme, however, it specifically says that if I use 1.65, I lose a mark. This caused me to then lose another mark in the next part of the question.

So is there any way to know which one I should choose? In situations like this, do I just go with the lower z value?
Original post by Dohaeris
Guys, in the normal distribution questions, how are we supposed to know exactly what value of z to take when given probabilities?

For example, say I was given that the probability of getting less than a certain value X is 0.95. So I go to the table to find out what value of z will give a probability of 0.95, but the closest z values you can get are 1.64 and 1.65, which give probabilities of 0.9495 and 0.9505, respectively. I had no clue how I was supposed to choose between the two, so I just went with 1.65.

In the mark scheme, however, it specifically says that if I use 1.65, I lose a mark. This caused me to then lose another mark in the next part of the question.

So is there any way to know which one I should choose? In situations like this, do I just go with the lower z value?

You would have to choose 1.64 because 0.9495 rounds up to 0.950 (3dp) whereas if you round up 1.65 it goes to 0.951(3dp) so its better to look at it like that and choose 1.64 as the answer to use.
Original post by 4nonymous
You would have to choose 1.64 because 0.9495 rounds up to 0.950 (3dp) whereas if you round up 1.65 it goes to 0.951(3dp) so its better to look at it like that and choose 1.64 as the answer to use.

That makes sense. So if I wanted a value of z, I would choose whichever gave the closest probability to the one I wanted. And if they're equal, like 1.64 and 1.65, just round it. Thanks
Original post by Dohaeris
That makes sense. So if I wanted a value of z, I would choose whichever gave the closest probability to the one I wanted. And if they're equal, like 1.64 and 1.65, just round it. Thanks

Yes just keep rounding it till you get an answer which is closest to the one you need. In this case it is 1.64
Original post by mahmzo
Can someone explain why sometimes you used n+1/2 and sometimes n/2 for the median. Which one do I use and where.

Anyone have tips on how to not make stupid mistakes. I am scared ill make a stupid mistake part a and carry it through to part f. ;(

I need to get at least 65 to make sure I have a solid A. I got 60/75 for C1 and 70/75 for C2

That confuses me too, I hope this will help :smile:
20160607_162913 (1).jpg Also I think you get carry through marks so you can't be marked down for the same mistake twice which is good, I think they just re-calculate with the 'wrong' previous answer so don't worry. It's what my stats teacher does but correct me if I'm wrong.
does anyone know if we have to clear the memory from our graphical calculators before every exam or is just once enough for the whole exam period?
Original post by andy135
does anyone know if we have to clear the memory from our graphical calculators before every exam or is just once enough for the whole exam period?

Every exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 108
Original post by andy135

Graphical calculators are banned for this exam?
Original post by imran_
Graphical calculators are banned for this exam?

I'm doing AQA stats 1 where we're allowed graphical calculators but i couldn't find a thread for the aqa one :smile:
Original post by mahmzo

depends on the type of data, whether it is discrete etc. however in mark schemes you get the marks if you do it either way
Reply 112
https://1a388b28f5ce9318f837a64962fc3ceab9c61da8.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYU2s1SVY1VDN2Q0U/January%202006%20QP%20-%20S1%20Edexcel.pdf

hi for question 7c, I dont get why they did 1-0.9545
I would have thought it would be 1-0.0618 as >188 would be on the right side of the normal distribution sketch
Attachment not found
Hi, For both these questions from Jan 2011 8 b and c I don't understand where the -2.3623 came from or the -1.2816. How did they get this from 0.90 and 0.99 because in the stats tables they done match up? Thank you!
Original post by KloppOClock
depends on the type of data, whether it is discrete etc. however in mark schemes you get the marks if you do it either way

Exam solutions says do n+1/2 all the time.
Anyone else sitting the IAL paper?
Original post by mahmzo
Exam solutions says do n+1/2 all the time.

sure but in actuality it depends on the type of data, mark schemes will allow either way however.
Anyone know where I can get hold of good worked examples and questions for practicing Conditional Probabilities? e.g. P(AnB), P(AuB). This is the area that I seem to struggle with the most especially when trying to figure out what region of a venn diagram needs to be shaded for something more difficult e.g. P(AuB':wink:.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Philip-flop
Anyone know where I can get hold of good worked examples and questions for practicing Conditional Probabilities? e.g. P(AnB), P(AuB). This is the area that I seem to struggle with the most especially when trying to figure out what region of a venn diagram needs to be shaded for something more difficult e.g. P(AuB':wink:.

Look at exam solutions tutorials. He also has some practice questions which he explains how to do.
okay i literally remember nothing of this moduls, i have 7 days to learn it. Where do I start, questions by topic, just straight into past papers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending