The Student Room Group

Bath or Exeter University?

Course: MMath Mathematics (4 year)
Predicted: A*AB
Expecting: A*AA

Bath offer: A*AA
Exeter offer: AAA

Bath has a better reputation for mathematics, with a harder entrance grade and better rankings, but I loved the Exeter campus so much and thought Bath's was very average. I'm not familiar with either towns.
I guess Bath wins in night life (due to nearby Bristol) but Exeter campus had a really nice atmosphere.
UCAS deadline tomorrow so need to firm one of them tonight!
Any replies greatly appreciated. If you are a student, any accommodation recommendations? I'm going for self-catered and en suite, but which one is the best socially?

Thank you.
My older sister goes Exeter and she says it's not multi-cultural.Her room was quite big but she had some 'problems' with some students so self-catered accommodation could either go bad or good for you.

Pick any of the universities you find better- if you like the uni with the better atmosphere then pick Exeter. But the university with better ranking and reputation then pick Bath.
Original post by forestspirit

Bath has a better reputation for mathematics, with a harder entrance grade and better rankings, but I loved the Exeter campus so much and thought Bath's was very average. I'm not familiar with either towns.
I guess Bath wins in night life (due to nearby Bristol) but Exeter campus had a really nice atmosphere.
Any replies greatly appreciated. If you are a student, any accommodation recommendations? I'm going for self-catered and en suite, but which one is the best socially?

Thank you.

As a student who's just finished their second year at Bath, I'd recommend it :tongue: I don't know a huge amount about Exeter, so I'll just give you some key points about Bath.

Bath has a placement year option as well as a good reputation with employers of placement students, as well as a lot of support available for interviews, applications etc. Whether you want to do one as well as a masters is your choice - you might find that you want to switch to a BSc anyway, but :dontknow: you can switch courses after the first year anyway, and the placement year is supposedly invaluable - I guess I'll find out but I can see that :tongue:

I lived in Eastwood, the cheapest accommodation and it was fine to be honest. It really doesn't matter which is the best socially, anything apart from the accommodation in the city rather than on campus and the designated quiet accommodation and you'll be fine. If you're the type, you'll have those initial freshers week introductions (where you get introduced to and party with your neighborus if you wish) and then it's pretty much up to you and whatever connections you have to party wherever you want.

Uni is pretty good, the campus itself is lovely and has a shop, post office, few eateries and bars, a lake that people sit by when it's warm enough. Level of sport here is pretty high, but there's something for everyone.

Course is alright. Not all of it is interesting or fun but that's to be expected. A lot of interesting options in the third year in particular.
Reply 3

Thank you.

I chose Exeter after visiting Bath, and have never regretted it for one second.
Original post by SeanFM
As a student who's just finished their second year at Bath, I'd recommend it :tongue: I don't know a huge amount about Exeter, so I'll just give you some key points about Bath.

Bath has a placement year option as well as a good reputation with employers of placement students, as well as a lot of support available for interviews, applications etc. Whether you want to do one as well as a masters is your choice - you might find that you want to switch to a BSc anyway, but :dontknow: you can switch courses after the first year anyway, and the placement year is supposedly invaluable - I guess I'll find out but I can see that :tongue:

I lived in Eastwood, the cheapest accommodation and it was fine to be honest. It really doesn't matter which is the best socially, anything apart from the accommodation in the city rather than on campus and the designated quiet accommodation and you'll be fine. If you're the type, you'll have those initial freshers week introductions (where you get introduced to and party with your neighborus if you wish) and then it's pretty much up to you and whatever connections you have to party wherever you want.

Uni is pretty good, the campus itself is lovely and has a shop, post office, few eateries and bars, a lake that people sit by when it's warm enough. Level of sport here is pretty high, but there's something for everyone.

Course is alright. Not all of it is interesting or fun but that's to be expected. A lot of interesting options in the third year in particular.

Thank you, I've firmed Bath and put Exeter as my insurance choice. I was wondering if you know how to apply for accommodation? Will I receive an email later on? There are no links on the website for online applications.
Thanks
Thank you, I've firmed Bath and put Exeter as my insurance choice. I was wondering if you know how to apply for accommodation? Will I receive an email later on? There are no links on the website for online applications.
Thanks

http://www.bath.ac.uk/services/register-and-apply-for-student-accommodation/

They've changed the website this year it seems, to make it look a lot less friendly/easy to navigate. How strange.
Original post by SeanFM
http://www.bath.ac.uk/services/register-and-apply-for-student-accommodation/

They've changed the website this year it seems, to make it look a lot less friendly/easy to navigate. How strange.

Thank you ! Seeing as it's first come first serve I'm just hoping I'll be able to find somewhere on campus.
Thank you ! Seeing as it's first come first serve I'm just hoping I'll be able to find somewhere on campus.

If Eastwood is there, I would recommend it. If you don't get anything, don't worry. I had nothing except the city accommodation when I got there, but in summer people missed their offers/didn't go or whatever and they offered me a choice of on campus accommodation, and I picked Eastwood.
Original post by SeanFM
If Eastwood is there, I would recommend it. If you don't get anything, don't worry. I had nothing except the city accommodation when I got there, but in summer people missed their offers/didn't go or whatever and they offered me a choice of on campus accommodation, and I picked Eastwood.

Okay cool that's reassuring.
Okay cool that's reassuring.

:hat2:

Have a look at this thread if you want.
Original post by SeanFM

Hi,
I applied for Eastwood and Westwood on the application, and after getting in to Bath have just received my accommodation offer. It's off campus (carpenter house), just checked and buses will cost be over £200 for the year :/ . I called up and asked about possibly changing to campus accommodation and they said it can't be done. However, they said there is something in mid October called room transfer, is that what you were talking about? How would I go about doing this?
Thanks
Hi,
I applied for Eastwood and Westwood on the application, and after getting in to Bath have just received my accommodation offer. It's off campus (carpenter house), just checked and buses will cost be over £200 for the year :/ . I called up and asked about possibly changing to campus accommodation and they said it can't be done. However, they said there is something in mid October called room transfer, is that what you were talking about? How would I go about doing this?
Thanks

Not quite - I was referring to having campus accommodation as the only option in June/July, then meeting the offer on results day and being offered a place on campus.

I've actually never heard of that but I do know of someone in my flat who moved to another accommodation in week 2 or something and that room was empty for the rest of the year.

I would just say let the accommodation people know that if there is a vacancy that pops up on campus then you'd like to be put on the list for it or something like that.

Quick Reply

Latest