The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MK2015
I personally think that the 40 mark essay for tectonics will be about plate tectonics theory. It seems pretty cyclical since the last four papers have been; earthquake factors, volcano factors, earthquake mitigation and volcano mitigation. So, unless they choose to repeat one, it should be plate tectonics theory, which was five papers ago.

Also, since this is the last paper of this syllabus, I would suspect that ending it with the theory question seems logical, but I wouldn't be surprised if they put a twist on it and try to include the case studies. They haven't done that before, and so it would definitely be a 'mega question' of sorts. I think the suggestion that plate tectonics theory helps the understanding of preparing for volcanic and seismic events seems logical. I seriously doubt they would limit it to just one.

Just my gut instinct though. If anyone else has any last minute suggestions, it would be very much appreciated!

That theory question was:

"Evaluate how plate tectonics theory helps our understanding of the distribution of seismicand volcanic events."

So idk.. I'm hoping it is.. the involvement of a case study would be interesting, though. Explaining the theory and linking it to a case study.. if that's even possible?
I'm really worried the conflict essay may be on poverty??? My teacher rushed through it in class and I'm struggling with this essay. 'Analyse the causes of poverty in the world and evaluate attempts to address it on aglobal scale' can someone please help? How would I get top marks in something like this? Its very broad :/
We were only taught one case study for each of the 4 urban processes in world cities ( urbanisation, suburbanisation etc etc ), but some people are implying we are meant to know two for each. Can anyone clear this up please?
Original post by Pterofyre
That theory question was:

"Evaluate how plate tectonics theory helps our understanding of the distribution of seismicand volcanic events."

So idk.. I'm hoping it is.. the involvement of a case study would be interesting, though. Explaining the theory and linking it to a case study.. if that's even possible?

how would it do that? like, "how would a seismic hazard you have studied prove the plate tectonic theory?"
Original post by Pterofyre
Ha definitely! I'd get it over and done with but I'm worried I'll run out of time if I rush straight into it.

I'm really worrying about the exam, though. I've been doing my A-Levels for 5 years (took me 4 to accept I can't do maths lol), so I'm doing the Geography A-Level in a year (the A2 section on my own) so I've got a lot riding on this paper.. just extremely concerned I'm gonna fck something up.

I think as long as you plan it along the lines of:

Intro:
para 1:
K, C/S, CU, Syn
para 2:
K, C/S, CU, Syn
Conclusion

Should be fairly fine. My AS teacher drummed it into me, to get the Level 4 you need to include and develop on those. Always link it back to the question and always mention key terms involved in the question (to support the linking)

However trying to link everything together whilst writing the essay compared with what I've just typed is obviously extremely difficult! lol.

That being said, if anything to do with tropical biome and changing features come up for the Ecosystems essay I'll definitely be doing that. Other than that, I think I'll be doing the Tectonic essay (praying that the theory comes up again, it last came up in June 2012..)

Everyone seems to be hoping the theory comes up because it's pretty straight forward. Personally, I'd like an earthquake question to come up (I want to use these bloody case studies!) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thezoolander
We were only taught one case study for each of the 4 urban processes in world cities ( urbanisation, suburbanisation etc etc ), but some people are implying we are meant to know two for each. Can anyone clear this up please?

Nope, just one will suffice.

Mine -
Counter urbanisation - st Ives, Cambridge
Sub urbanisation - LA
reurbanisation - London docklands

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1346
How would you answer an urbanisation 40 marker? ... I only got taught one case study on each process
Reply 1347
Original post by Sacred Ground
Nope, just one will suffice.

Mine -
Counter urbanisation - st Ives, Cambridge
Sub urbanisation - LA
reurbanisation - London docklands

Posted from TSR Mobile

How would you plan a 40 marker on urban processes?
How would people answer this: "In what way does seismic activity vary in relation to the type of plate margin along which it occurs" (10 marks)
Original post by thezoolander

Our teacher explained it as there isn't must significant suburbanisation, reurbanisation and counter-urbanisation happening in developing countries to do case studies on.
So my urbanisation case study is in a developing country but the rest are all in the UK
Original post by TJ_gym
What is the best MEDC earthquake to compare to Haiti Earthquake? I want a case study has clear comparisons between a developed country and less developed... I have Japan 2011 currently, however it doesn't show very effective comparisons..

I always do Kobe 1995. There are both clear comparisons (both subduction, geology, population density too) and contrasts (economic obviously, hence no planning and poor response versus lots of planning and effective response.) Kobe was 7.2 Richter and Haiti was 7.0, yet the damage of Haiti was far greater - very helpful comparison for a 'physical versus human factors' essay.

IMO Japan 2011 goes better with the Asian tsunami of 2004. Both were also very similar in terms of physical factors yet had very different outcomes.
Original post by SJJ97
What would you include in causes and effects of urbanisation processes?

Begin by saying where all the 4 processes are happening.
Then move onto economic and social causes of each process.
Then I have a socio-environmental impact of traffic for all 4
Then social impacts for urbanisation and re-urbanisation.
Then economic impacts for counter and sub.
Then positive economic impacts for all 4.
Followed by a conclusion :smile:
Original post by Sean Barlow
How would people answer this: "In what way does seismic activity vary in relation to the type of plate margin along which it occurs" (10 marks)

could they even ask something like this?
WORLD CITIES ESSAY PEOPLE
do u think there is any chance that regeneration will come up? I haven't looked at it that much but I'm thinking it wont come up? what does everyone think I'm freaking out
Reply 1354
What do you the letter stand for K, C/S, CU, Syn ??
Looks like a good way of setting paragraphs out!
Reply 1355
Original post by rhiannon_
Begin by saying where all the 4 processes are happening.
Then move onto economic and social causes of each process.
Then I have a socio-environmental impact of traffic for all 4
Then social impacts for urbanisation and re-urbanisation.
Then economic impacts for counter and sub.
Then positive economic impacts for all 4.
Followed by a conclusion :smile:

Oh okay! Have you got a sample essay! Somthing k can read and get my head around haha
Original post by LGILCH
What do you the letter stand for K, C/S, CU, Syn ??
Looks like a good way of setting paragraphs out!

Knowledge, case study, critical understanding and synopticity

It's how they'll mark you against these
Reply 1357
Original post by tcameron
Our teacher explained it as there isn't must significant suburbanisation, reurbanisation and counter-urbanisation happening in developing countries to do case studies on.
So my urbanisation case study is in a developing country but the rest are all in the UK

Same... But how would you do a 40 marker on it? 😳😩
Reply 1358
Original post by rhiannon_
Hi,
My predictions are
Tectonics 7/8/10- Earthquakes case studies comparing nature and impacts. Causes and characteristics of earthquakes.
Conflict 7/8/10- causes and consequences of separatism OR multicultural societies
World Cities 40marker- Retail or causes and effects of urbanisation processes.

why not sustainability for world cities??
Original post by SJJ97
Same... But how would you do a 40 marker on it? 😳😩

Oh I don't do world cities 40 markers as I already do two physical topics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending