The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 26, 2016 and Depth - June 7, 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Desouza123
We don't have to know the Chi-Squared test. It's not on the spec.

It is on the spec. And it was on the paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Internets
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/171693-specification-accredited-as-level-gce-biology-a-h020.pdf <= Is this the right spec?
On page 48 is says 'Learners may be tested on theirability to select and use:• the chi squared test to test(χ2) the significance of thedifference between observedand expected results the Student’s t-test• the Spearman’s rankcorrelation coefficient'

I'm a bit confused because we haven't even touched this formula for the whole year, so maybe it isn't required anymore.

IT CAME UP ANYWAY! And I loved the question so yay :smile:
Original post by adeninesbff
IT CAME UP ANYWAY! And I loved the question so yay :smile:

Agreed. We were worried that we would get a big question with loads of data and not be told which test we had to do, so it was a relief to see OCR essentially showing us how to do it with the example rows.
markscheme?
Guys i know its petty but im strressing out over this 1 marker but if i out speciation for the answer where it said how do they become resistant is that still valid
Original post by creative_lad28
Guys i know its petty but im strressing out over this 1 marker but if i out speciation for the answer where it said how do they become resistant is that still valid

I don't think that will be accepted. But chill its only 1 mark :^_^:
Anyone also doing the chemistry? Please add to the predictions thread I made http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4149293
Original post by MsDanderson
It is on the spec. And it was on the paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah well it was only in the maths section and not in the actual content part. That part of the spec only stated simpsons diversity index, SD, T test and Spearmans rank......
Reply 1548
Original post by Tarlius
Also please answer guys, and please don't take the piss because I find biology so hard, I'll be dropping it and keep maths physics and art but I just cant stand it so.. I think on the first paper I may have gotten around 30 marks give or take 2, and about 40 give or take two on this one? Is that worthy of just any grade asides a U do you think?

Many thanks

When they last introduced a new spec (2008/2009), it was 66% for an A in the F212 paper (meant to be harder). Im sure your looking at a D. Good luck mate
Original post by IXxi HIIDA ixXI
I got like 3200% tf

DIdn't the question say to compare 1993 percentage of deaths caused by MRSA with the peak deaths caused by MRSA which was i think in 2006 or 2007. so then didn't you have to work out the percentage of deaths in 1993 caused by MRSA which was 12% and then in the peak year which was 78% and then take away 78% from 12% to work out the difference in percentage?
Hi,,,
What did you choose for the first question the two diagram about expiation... I have chose b, but I wrote capital B. Do think I will get mark.

Thanks
Original post by mariahk98
DIdn't the question say to compare 1993 percentage of deaths caused by MRSA with the peak deaths caused by MRSA which was i think in 2006 or 2007. so then didn't you have to work out the percentage of deaths in 1993 caused by MRSA which was 12% and then in the peak year which was 78% and then take away 78% from 12% to work out the difference in percentage?

I think it said percentage increase of number of death certificates recorded as MRSA... So literally how many times 51 increases to 3000-ish number as a percentage

Posted from TSR Mobile
oi boyz did u hv to mention lock n key on that enzyme ting blud
Original post by FrustratedHorse
Bro,I know exactly where you're coming from and I did the same thing in the exam using the exact same justification. Afterwards however, my friend kicked some sense into me- there were 4 categories/data sets (Prophase, anaphase, metaphase and telophase) unlike the 2 data sets used in the example in the text book. So in this situation, I think it should be something like (N1-1)+(N2-1)+(N3-1)+(N4-1). This is the same as 4(2-1) which is equal to 4. So tbh, as far as I understand, there were only 4 degrees of freedom in the exam so I got that question wrong.

Either way,I talked with my teacher and she said that so long as I compare my value at 0.05 significance level, I should end up with at least 1 mark. Well, hopefully it works that way :smile:.Imo, this exam was pretty difficult and considering not every school is taking these AS breadth and depth exams (because they intend to just do the real A2's), I don't mind so long as I get a B (or above) overall so that I can have strong ground to beg my biology teacher to predict me an A for A2.Dw guys, it's time to make like a student and pray for low grade boundaries :crossedf::crossedf:

Oh gosh, I was banking on that question for marks. Dang it 😭, at least I know I got at least 1 mark...

Haha, true, I really hope the comments that breadth was "easy" is proven to be false because that will just push up the grade boundaries overall.
Original post by 4nonymous
Didn't you also have to say that you can only breathe through your mouth and not nose

i dont think so.. i know that its part of the instructions to use the spirometer but the question asked for the instructions for getting the vital capacity. however it could be part of the mark scheme
Does any one have a unofficial markscheme for both the papers??
Original post by ronnydandam
do u want a medal bro

12647292_921038664677593_6193793641762164249_n.jpgyes please
Does anyone how the breadth practice paper!!! Urgent
Original post by kaykaayy
For the vital capacity question where you had to instruct how the person should breathe into the spirometer...
The OCR Textbook gives the wrong definition (& so the wrong instructions)?? Do you think we'd still be let off? It literally gives the opposite I've just searched it online and everywhere else says the opposite. image.jpg

that is the right definition.
Original post by Yukio.X
that is the right definition.

Is this not the exact opposite? image.png OCR one talks about volume being breathed IN, the actual definition is the volume being exhaled out...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending