The Student Room Group

Wednesday 8th June - OCR GCSE Computing Exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lucyg2000
Thanks so much! Do you have the exam tomorrow as well?

no problem! Yeah, absolutely dreading it because of how little revision I've actually done :redface:
I hope it is a hard paper so the grade boundaries are lower. For some reason, I find these papers easier
What'd pes a database Managment system do? And what is a relational database? I have so failed this exam :'(
Original post by PrinceKian
What'd pes a database Managment system do? And what is a relational database? I have so failed this exam :'(

I think it separates data from the applications. And a relational database is a database connected to another database using primary/foreign keys
Original post by lucyg2000
I think it separates data from the applications. And a relational database is a database connected to another database using primary/foreign keys

Is that all a DBMS does?
Reply 165
Original post by PrinceKian

A DBMS allows you to control the data in your database. SO it allows you to create forms, queries, reports, tables.
A relational database is one which is linked through a primary key through individual tables.
Assemblers, Compliers, Interpereters, Machine Language, Assembly Language.

Only part of the spec I'm confused about, I'd really appreciate some help :smile:
Reply 167
Original post by mrjosephbrown

Only part of the spec I'm confused about, I'd really appreciate some help :smile:

Assemblers translate assembly code into machine code. Compilers and interpreters translate high level code into machine code.
Original post by surina16
no problem! Yeah, absolutely dreading it because of how little revision I've actually done :redface:

naah, im sure you'll do well, considering you made the thread in March. i imagine that you'd have done substantial revision
Original post by Undec
A DBMS allows you to control the data in your database. SO it allows you to create forms, queries, reports, tables.
A relational database is one which is linked through a primary key through individual tables.

What are forms; reports; queries and tables? (In terms of a DBMS)
Original post by zainn.hh
naah, im sure you'll do well, considering you made the thread in March. i imagine that you'd have done substantial revision

nah mate, made the thread in march to motivate everyone else but the revision started today smh :lol:
Thanks though - hope you do well tomorrow :smile:
Original post by mrjosephbrown

machine code is the binary code that the computer actually uses (so it is like 00001001 10001000 etc instead of actual words)
assembly language is a low-level language that uses mnemonics like ADD and stuff but it's still really hard to use (I think it's what you use in LMC, but I didn't do that assessment so idk)
assemblers convert assembly language into machine code
compilers and interpreters are two types of translators. They translate high-level code into machine code. A compiler converts all of the code before the code is run, but an interpreter converts one line of code, runs it and then moves on to the next one. So from that you can see that each has its own advantages and disadvantages.

hope that helps a bit?
nah mate, made the thread in march to motivate everyone else but the revision started today smh :lol:
Thanks though - hope you do well tomorrow :smile:

stop lying to yourself. You know you'll do well :biggrin:
Original post by zainn.hh
stop lying to yourself. You know you'll do well :biggrin:

yeah definitely - I couldn't even understand the algorithm question on the 2015 paper whilst looking at the mark scheme :rofl:
machine code is the binary code that the computer actually uses (so it is like 00001001 10001000 etc instead of actual words)
assembly language is a low-level language that uses mnemonics like ADD and stuff but it's still really hard to use (I think it's what you use in LMC, but I didn't do that assessment so idk)
assemblers convert assembly language into machine code
compilers and interpreters are two types of translators. They translate high-level code into machine code. A compiler converts all of the code before the code is run, but an interpreter converts one line of code, runs it and then moves on to the next one. So from that you can see that each has its own advantages and disadvantages.

hope that helps a bit?

Thanks so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by farzana_2000
I have my exam tmrw and i literally dont know can i please have the computing notes i do ocr and i reallllllyyyy need it to

thanks

GCSE Computing
What do you have to know about sound and images because all I understand is colour depth and sampling depth and how analog data needs to turn into digital data for the computer to process it.
Was I the only one unrealistically thinking some computer science nerd that has elite hacks would of leaked the paper? ;D If only lmao
Original post by NoodleGCSEFOOD
Was I the only one unrealistically thinking some computer science nerd that has elite hacks would of leaked the paper? ;D If only lmao

everyone wishes that :biggrin:
yeah definitely - I couldn't even understand the algorithm question on the 2015 paper whilst looking at the mark scheme :rofl:

tbh, I found that quite difficult, but it got better with revision, which im sure you've done plenty of :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending