The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by david0906
Do tricky polar coordinate sketches (eg r^2=a^2 cos(2theta)) ever come up? - I've not seen any in past papers, and haven't learnt them... yet

I know what you mean, I've never seen them come up and they are the hardest thing as there is NO practice in them!

Original post by kkboyk
I'm a little bit worried since my grades are fluctuating a lot (from Cs to A*s), purely because of silly mistakes :/

Same here, some day get an A, another a C. Really stupid.
Original post by Anon-
yeah I feel you, same here. really hoping for a straightforward paper tomorrow.

QUOTE=themechguy;65544835]ISame here, some day get an A, another a C. Really stupid.

I'm hoping it'll be like June 2014-15, with no hard polar curve questions since they contained quite a lot of good straight forward questions.
Original post by kkboyk
QUOTE=themechguy;65544835]ISame here, some day get an A, another a C. Really stupid.

I'm hoping it'll be like June 2014-15, with no hard polar curve questions since they contained quite a lot of good straight forward questions.

Hoping I got the 100UMS in the M3 so I can afford to get 79UMS in the FP2 for A* lol..
Where is the mod(z)=3 coming from?
Original post by themechguy
I know what you mean, I've never seen them come up and they are the hardest thing as there is NO practice in them!

The book is your best friend then...
Original post by paradoxequation
Where is the mod(z)=3 coming from?

Typo on solutionbank

Ahh, thank you!
Original post by themechguy

Same here, some day get an A, another a C. Really stupid.

Try pre09 papers
Reply 1268
Can we use a pencil and a compass when you have to sketch curves/circles?
Original post by wr123
Can anyone show a way to get from the top to the bottom? I honestly can't understand the (d^2y/dx^2)(dt/dx) part..

Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 18.03.54.png

Differentiate dy/dx wrt(x) using product rule on the bit in the bracket => d2y/dx2 = -x^-2(dy/dt) + x^-1 (d2y/dt2) dt/dx.

Then, given dy/dx = 1/x (dy/dt), 1/x must equal dt/dx, so replace dt/dx with 1/x => d2y/dx2 = -x^-2(dy/dt) + x^-1(d2y/dt2)(1/x).

Simplify the x^-1 & (1/x) => d2y/dx2 = -x^-2(dy/dt) + x^-2(d2y/dt2).

Sorry the formatting is useless in plain text, I could write it out later, but it'll be after the exam - and my handwriting a rubbish anyway so probably won't be any easier. Hope you can follow it as it is - if not just ask :smile:
Could they ask us to translate a half line like arg(z-4)=pi/6?

If so how would you go about doing this. Never seen it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Student403
Try pre09 papers

Haha no time now

Original post by P____P
The book is your best friend then...

The book gives very limited examples and doesnt explain why you pick the values of theta like they do?
Whoever else is in London must've heard the thunderstorms. That is a taster of what is to come tomorrow.
Hoping for a maddeningly hard paper this year.
Original post by Patrick Gekko
Could they ask us to translate a half line like arg(z-4)=pi/6?

If so how would you go about doing this. Never seen it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you can just find the equation of the line. probably depends on the question what the fastest/nicest way is
Original post by Rkai01
Whoever else is in London must've heard the thunderstorms. That is a taster of what is to come tomorrow.

Jeez, that was proper movie style lightening. I have never experienced it like that before... our roof sprung a leak...
Can't sleep, going to be a zombie in this exam now. Why is it so hot :frown:
My Question 1: when the question ask to sketch the curve (and given equation) in which coordinate system we should do that? Polar or Cartesian? (E.g. Edexcel Text book 7c (pg 135))?
My question 2 : what happening with weather?!?
How you know? Have you seen the paper? If yes, thanks
Original post by Armpits
Exam will contain proof of Maclaurin series
Reply 1279
Original post by Pushkin-simonov
How you know? Have you seen the paper? If yes, thanks

:lolwut:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending