The Student Room Group

Volunteering Reference

Hi All, I have a question in regards to job references.

I want to apply for a job at a supermarket. However, on the application form it states that you need two references. I have a tutor who I have already asked and she has agreed to be a reference for me. I am a bit stuck for a second reference.

I have been working at a retail charity shop for three weeks. I work there once a week. I do it just to get some job experience. Do you think it is a bit soon to ask for a reference from them? Or, do you think should wait a bit longer? Is there a good way or a bad way to ask for a reference? Interested to hear your thoughts.

Take Care
Normally when they ask for two its one personal and one work.
Academic falls somewhere inbetween. I would tend to think its more personal.

Is there any reason why you cant just ring up HR at the supermarket and check what they will find acceptable. they will need to be flexible as they will be used to students.

If you get on with the charity shop manager, then just mention you are looking for a job and at what stage can you ask them for a reference. Different charities have different time periods. Just be polite and see what they say.
Original post by questmark
Hi All, I have a question in regards to job references.

I want to apply for a job at a supermarket. However, on the application form it states that you need two references. I have a tutor who I have already asked and she has agreed to be a reference for me. I am a bit stuck for a second reference.

I have been working at a retail charity shop for three weeks. I work there once a week. I do it just to get some job experience. Do you think it is a bit soon to ask for a reference from them? Or, do you think should wait a bit longer? Is there a good way or a bad way to ask for a reference? Interested to hear your thoughts.

Take Care

I'm sure you had to work somewhere for at least 10 days before you could ask for a reference. As your voluntary work is relevant to your paid work, it would be ideal.

"I'm considering applying for a second job, would you be able to provide a reference for me?"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending