The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Good luck everyone :smile::banana:
Original post by KloppOClock

You too! I'm just going over vectors for 20 minutes on ExamSolutions then I'm sleeping. How many hours sleep are you going to give yourself?
Original post by jtlmao
Force on bottom block will be equal to the weight of the top block and bottom block combined

Which force? If you mean the reaction from the floor of the lift, they are only equal if there is no acceleration.

Hey on that Mr. Barton thing you just linked, how come the weight of the lift is 600g + N when N is acting upwards?
Original post by particlestudent
You too! I'm just going over vectors for 20 minutes on ExamSolutions then I'm sleeping. How many hours sleep are you going to give yourself?

6 probably, gonna wake up early and do last minute panic revision :biggrin:
Original post by HopelessMedic
Could anyone explain what you do when one vector is, for example south west of another? I know its something to do with knowing they make an isosceles triangle but still a bit confused on the method. Thanks in advance

I believe what happens here is because south west is a direction which would have a bearing of 225, and tan 225=1, and tan^-1(i components/j components)=225, i components/j components = 1, so then you just make the components equal one another and solve for the unknown value (if that makes sense?) :smile:
Original post by Don Pedro K.
Hey on that Mr. Barton thing you just linked, how come the weight of the lift is 600g + N when N is acting upwards?

it literally says in the paragraph lol

"don’t forget Newton’s third law therewill be some ‘equal and opposite’ pairs of forces"

"If the normal reaction on the man is N newtons then this means that the liftfloor is pushing up on the man with a force of N newtons and therefore theman must be pushing down on the lift floor with an equal sized force of Nnewtons."
Original post by Brackno
I believe what happens here is because south west is a direction which would have a bearing of 225, and tan 225=1, and tan^-1(i components/j components)=225, i components/j components = 1, so then you just make the components equal one another and solve for the unknown value (if that makes sense?) :smile:

Actually j and i components the other way around sorry!
it literally says in the paragraph lol

"don’t forget Newton’s third law therewill be some ‘equal and opposite’ pairs of forces"

"If the normal reaction on the man is N newtons then this means that the liftfloor is pushing up on the man with a force of N newtons and therefore theman must be pushing down on the lift floor with an equal sized force of Nnewtons."

ahhh yeah okay haha xD I've never seen anything like that before o.O Hoping lifts don't come up tbh haha
Would someone be able to teach me M1? Like I need to know the topics we will be asked about and how to answer the questions etc.
Reply 910
Good luck everyone. It will go well.
Original post by rohanmcdermott
Would someone be able to teach me M1? Like I need to know the topics we will be asked about and how to answer the questions etc.

when do you need to know it by?
What are the different assumptions you can make?
when do you need to know it by?

9AM

bit late
9AM

just go to exam solutions
6 probably, gonna wake up early and do last minute panic revision :biggrin:

6 should be okay :biggrin:

I honestly don't think it'll go too bad, I just hope a question with two boxes on top of each other in a lift doesn't come up...
Original post by hamzahussain97
[url="http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=A-Level&Qualification-Subject=Mathematics%20(2008)&Status=Pearson-UK:Status%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK[excludedFace]s-smilie[/excludedFace]pecification-Code%2F9371&Exam-Series=June-2015#step4"]http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=A-Level&Qualification-Subject=Mathematics%20(2008)&Status=Pearson-UK:s-smilie:tatus%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK:s-smilie:pecification-Code%2F9371&Exam-Series=June-2015#step4

I feel so stupid! Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending