The Student Room Group

AQA english language exam 7/6/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by surina16
Lol I didn't do the Dear Sir/Madam bit either because even though I knew it was a letter, I got confused because I thought I would have to do a letter intro and all that (like explaining it was my entry for the newspaper) and just thought it would all get messy :biggrin:

Strangely enough, I think I did better in questions 2, 3 and 4 than the other questions which seems to be the opposite of what everyone else felt :s-smilie: :lol:

Question 2 Was Ok, Question 3 was "meh" but Question 4!

Original post by booklover13
Yeah, I think so, by around 1 or 2 marks... I heard that this year, the grade boundaries are going to be around 40 for a C and 45 for a B. I'm not really sure about the A and A*..

But do you know the grade boundaries for the Language and Literature coursework this year??

Nah sorry they aren't out yet either, most likely will go up by a mark or two but you can never be to sure (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bulletzone
I'm no examiner, but they would never ask you to write 2 articles of the same format. They're testing your language skills.

I meant the newspaper article itself, not writing an actual article aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
You will lose marks for saying the sailor was a woman! It was a reading task and the extract overview using the word "his boat":frown:
Sorry for a second post in here, but did anyone write about sentence structure for the comparison of the sources?, I wrote that source 3 uses a lot of varying sentence structures, such as short sentences for effect, where as source 1 uses longer sentences to inform the reader?
I'm pretty sure I've messed up since we were asked to compare language not sentence structures..
2 questions.

1. You see for question 5, it asked about writing a letter to 'blahblah' about what experience of reaching my limits and how it had affected me. I pretty much described a moment where i felt like i reached my limits etc.. But what does it mean by affected? Also did the letter have to have 'Dear/Sir etc..' and if so would i loose marks for not putting that in?

2. For question 6, a friend is asking wether you had a choice to agree or disagree with statement.
plz help I think I mucked up question 6 by persuading not arguing will I get marks for language techniques?
IN question 5 I put Dear Daily Mail as it asked to write to a newpaper will i lose marks for that?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fayecrystalsmith
Did anyone else write that the Bear Grylls article was humorous?
I really think I've screwed up. For the headline I wrote that "Grylls grilled" is a play on words? and I wrote that its humorous, like the issue the article is referring to.
Then I said that the sub heading was a long sentence, and was sort of unnecessary -.-, therefore being effective as it links in with the whole unnecessary long winded issue the article is referring to.

Yeah i said it was humorous and that they are play on words too! And in the subtitle, there was a pun of "hot water".
Original post by Mahrez
57 a*
52 a
47 b
42 c

This is not true! The grade boundaries change according to each exam. So of course this could be right, but it has absolutely no link to this exam as the grade boundaries are set according to how people did in the exam
I feel like I've messed up.

For question one a I wrote about how as the title referenced "forgotten", it also links in with the aging population (and their health ailments) whilst suggesting that this could lead to the complete void of sea side towns as it becomes a distant memory.

For question three I wrote about how the tide was presented differently in source 2 and three as it was a "beauty" whereas in source 2, it was monstrous.

By question 6 I hadn't improved as I said something like travelling offer some people the opportunity for social and moral growth as they are able to learn that other places are disadvantaged.

Have I messed up? (I did write a little more but if I wrote it on here it would be the length of a Torah scroll lmao)
(edited 7 years ago)
For question 2, I put the amount of time allowed to go on the slide which was 2 hours links to the picture because the slide is tiny compared to the rest of the pic :colondollar: do you think I'd be aleight with that or not?? Lol
Original post by thatnerdygirl001
For question 2, I put the amount of time allowed to go on the slide which was 2 hours links to the picture because the slide is tiny compared to the rest of the pic :colondollar: do you think I'd be aleight with that or not?? Lol

The good thing about English is that you can pretty much write anything as long as you have justified what you've said with relevant quotations. I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 293
I analysed the sub-heading in Question 4 too! When it says "text" doesn't that mean it refers to the whole thing? If mot, then the "text" wasn't that great for finding anything worth comparing! However, I feel as though it will be acceptable because the examiners are obligated to mark what they see. "Text" can be considered vague...

Though I did feel Question 4 was a shambles because I analysed 'lists' in Source 2 and the way it was paired for "crocodiles and venomous snakes" to show how he is not afraid of much and so the audience would feel more relaxed? Idk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Q1 - Easy
Q2 - Easy
Q3 - Easy
Q4 - Very Easy
Q5 - Easy
Q6 - Very Easy

I think the grade boundaries for A* will rise again this year.
wait I didn't talk about the sub headline for Q2...so I basically failed ???
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Appazap
wait I didn't talk about the sub headline
You dont have to
For question 6 did anyone talk about air travel. And how it is so called become cheap theough budget airlines and the accessbility

Also about the saftey for planes is increasibg with new laws etc
Original post by Antediluvian
Q1 - Easy
Q2 - Easy
Q3 - Easy
Q4 - Very Easy
Q5 - Easy
Q6 - Very Easy

I think the grade boundaries for A* will rise again this year.

For q4 did u analyse words which stood out
Original post by Qertydhbwj
For q4 did u analyse words which stood out

I analysed words which had a lot of meaning behind them.

Quick Reply

Latest