The Student Room Group

Other than religious, what reason is there to ban homosexuality?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by audrey_lh
Follows the typical model...?
No offence to homosexuals but I don't think the way they enjoy sexual relations is exactly 'typical', in that they use different body parts to do it...
Also you can't argue that incest disrupts relationships around or within the couple as you could say the same for homosexuality- it's just a matter of opinion. Arguing the dysfunctional nature of incest is also prejudiced, as one could also argue that homosexuality encompasses an aspect of abnormality in it as well.
By the way I do not in any way promote or support incest nor homosexuality. Just commenting on small details that I found not too accurate.

There is no way you could say the same about homosexual relationships when it comes to the family.
Now that's extremely offensive and inappropriate is it not?
Saying your own perspective on something is fine and a right you carry as a human being but refusing to acknowledge that others could believe in a God is violating their rights to have a religious belief and to be honest, pretty childish.

You have your rights to whatever religious beliefs you wish. You do not have the right to restrict other people's rights based on your religious beliefs. The rights of the many, here, trump the right of the one.
Original post by FredOrJohn
It is the main logical reason for marriage, to create a loving and lasting space in order to bring up children in a stable and long lasting environment.

Its not the only reason why people marry but I suspect its the main one. I guess another reason would be to create a legal framework for property rights etc.

Oh give it a rest, not everything is a science or math project - logic doesn't even come into it. People get married because they love and are committed to eachother. Children come secondary to that.

No offence to homosexuals but I don't think the way they enjoy sexual relations is exactly 'typical', in that they use different body parts to do it...

Statistically, there are more heterosexual people having anal sex than homosexual people.

@ivybridge, got any sources on this one?
Original post by Mactotaur
Statistically, there are more heterosexual people having anal sex than homosexual people.

@ivybridge, got any sources on this one?

Well, for a start it's just common sense.

For two, search google - there's a lot on this.
Original post by ivybridge
Well, for a start it's just common sense.

For two, search google - there's a lot on this.

It's getting late. I'd hoped you'd get the sources this time around!
There is no way you could say the same about homosexual relationships when it comes to the family.

Well the whole point of homosexuality is that it's between two people of the same gender and incest is between two people in the same family so I don't think that's a valid point... it's just a point against the inherent nature of incest I'd think
Original post by ForgetMe
( I wouldn't mind sucking your blood though :sexface: )

I offer my veins up to you :colondollar:
It's getting late. I'd hoped you'd get the sources this time around!

Sadly, I don't care enough. If they care, they can search for them themselves. This is a dull and circular debate.
Well the whole point of homosexuality is that it's between two people of the same gender and incest is between two people in the same family so I don't think that's a valid point... it's just a point against the inherent nature of incest I'd think

How can you not see that huge difference? Especially in relation to family dynamics. :rofl:
Sadly, I don't care enough. If they care, they can search for them themselves. This is a dull and circular debate.

So why do you and I keep coming back to these threads?
So why do you and I keep coming back to these threads?

Because more often than not, things said kind of get to me.
You have your rights to whatever religious beliefs you wish. You do not have the right to restrict other people's rights based on your religious beliefs. The rights of the many, here, trump the right of the one.

But the whole point of human rights is that every individual has the right to express their own beliefs and if you project your own belief in atheism onto those who are theists, and force it onto them just because it's the majority belief, that goes against the whole multicultural society we live in today.
But the whole point of human rights is that every individual has the right to express their own beliefs and if you project your own belief in atheism onto those who are theists, and force it onto them just because it's the majority belief, that goes against the whole multicultural society we live in today.

You can believe whatever you want. That's your right.

As soon as your beliefs start influencing your actions to the point where you infringe on other people's rights, you lose your "but that's my belief!" defence.

And so why are you saying this in counter to his point? It said precisely this.
How can you not see that huge difference? Especially in relation to family dynamics. :rofl:

Well there's the same huge difference in having sex with the opposite sex and doing it with the same sex isn't there...?
In that way claiming homosexuality is so much more natural and better than incest is an invalid point...
The way you're using the whole family dynamics point to invalidate incest is like the way some people use the fact that two people of the same gender are having sex is unnatural to invalidate homosexuality- it's just a matter of perspective and opinion.
Well there's the same huge difference in having sex with the opposite sex and doing it with the same sex isn't there...?
In that way claiming homosexuality is so much more natural and better than incest is an invalid point...
The way you're using the whole family dynamics point to invalidate incest is like the way some people use the fact that two people of the same gender are having sex is unnatural to invalidate homosexuality- it's just a matter of perspective and opinion.

Not at all. You're trying to say two men ****ing is the same as a daughter and father ****ing. How you draw that conclusion is unknown to me.
Not at all. You're trying to say two men ****ing is the same as a daughter and father ****ing. How you draw that conclusion is unknown to me.

To be fair, incest could be brother and sister - which, if they're both old enough to consent, is not something I see as particularly wrong.

Though I doubt they meant it in that way.
To be fair, incest could be brother and sister - which, if they're both old enough to consent, is not something I see as particularly wrong.

Though I doubt they meant it in that way.

And the point changes because? Daughter-father, mother-som, daughter-son, brother-sister; it doesn't matter.

That is what they said. I don't care what they meant. They should learn to articulate their ideas better, then.
Original post by RasputinReborn
These delusional, religious half-whits are very counter-productive in what they try to do. They force homosexuals to live a heterosexual life causing them to have offspring, which inherit their homosexual parent's mentality, and then they themselves become homosexuals. Interestingly, it's been suggested that the average intelligence of some places has been going down since less homosexual individuals are having children and living life in their own way.

You know homosexuality isn't necessarily hereditary? If a gay man has a child, they won't necessarily be gay as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending