The Student Room Group

Have I got an open range of Alevels??

Hello,
I'm going to college this year and the A-levels I chose are-
History
Economics
Psychology
I was debating if I should swap psychology with philosophy or is that not a respected A-level??
I was just wondering if they were a variety of courses as I am not sure on a university course I would like to do and want to keep open minded.
Thanks.
Sounds like they're a wide enough range, my only suggestion would be that if you're not sure on your uni course quite yet it might be beneficial to choose a course less humanities-based perhaps (no disrespect to humanities subjects, I take 2) because it will keep your options a little more open.

Facilitating subjects (sciences, history, geography, maths, English lit) are often suggested as good options to keep a large range of opportunities open. However, if you're sure you can't see yourself going into anything other than humanities/social sciences (e.g. politics, history, economics) then I don't see a problem with anything you're taking.

Sorry if that's a bit of a ramble, I'm p tired haha
Reply 2
Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx
Sounds like they're a wide enough range, my only suggestion would be that if you're not sure on your uni course quite yet it might be beneficial to choose a course less humanities-based perhaps (no disrespect to humanities subjects, I take 2) because it will keep your options a little more open.

Facilitating subjects (sciences, history, geography, maths, English lit) are often suggested as good options to keep a large range of opportunities open. However, if you're sure you can't see yourself going into anything other than humanities/social sciences (e.g. politics, history, economics) then I don't see a problem with anything you're taking.

Sorry if that's a bit of a ramble, I'm p tired haha

Thank you so much! That's really helped as I definitely want to go in to one of the fields that I will do at A-level!
Original post by miaofcourse
Thank you so much! That's really helped as I definitely want to go in to one of the fields that I will do at A-level!

If you want to do Econ at uni take maths
Reply 4
Original post by life.of.pablo
If you want to do Econ at uni take maths

I changed maths to psychology as I thought I may find A-level maths a bit too advanced for me as although I am an A/A*, I didn't really feel motivated to do a whole additional A-level on it but am more happier to do the maths in economics than an A-level. I don't know if that made sense?? Hahah, but I do realise for most/all universities you need maths for economics so I will probably head down a more history/history economics/ history political line.
Hello,
History
Economics
Psychology
I was debating if I should swap psychology with philosophy or is that not a respected A-level??
I was just wondering if they were a variety of courses as I am not sure on a university course I would like to do and want to keep open minded.
Thanks.

How come you're not doing 4?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,
History
Economics
Psychology
Thanks.

All I can say is that I hope you enjoy writing essays.
Reply 7
Original post by madmadmax321
How come you're not doing 4?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My college only allows 3 subjects
Reply 8
Hello,
History
Economics
Psychology
Thanks.

Swap psychology for Maths or Biology
My college only allows 3 subjects

That's silly, if you want to do economics at uni I think you'll have to take maths at a-level (you'll have to check this though on uni websites)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yua
Swap psychology for Maths or Biology

I changed maths to psychology originally as I said up a bit, that I didn't feel confident enough to complete the full A-level but I understand that it would be good to swap.
Original post by madmadmax321
That's silly, if you want to do economics at uni I think you'll have to take maths at a-level (you'll have to check this though on uni websites)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it is and universities say it preferred so basically I would need maths but I don't think I will go down the direct economics route at university anyway as I may go down history or psychology.
Yeah it is and universities say it preferred so basically I would need maths but I don't think I will go down the direct economics route at university anyway as I may go down history or psychology.

They should be fine A-levels then (unless applying for oxford/Cambridge as they want more facilitating subjects like English lit, geography etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile
@miaofcourse

Econs is fun I guess. history and psychology requires loads of memorization and information. I was in the same boat as you. Like a lost sheep on the M25 and then I saw this and it inspired me. I hope it inspires you too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Moeen_Nawazish

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/4398668/Teenager-gains-22-A-levels-in-12-months.html

[video="youtube;EbH_dWWIE1Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbH_dWWIE1Q[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest