The Student Room Group

M1 - Force on pulley

I've seen this question come up a few times on past papers and on Arsey's model answers he uses the formula 2TCos((90 - alpha)/2) where alpha is the angle between the horizontal and the inclined plane.

The formula works but I don't really understand where its come from? Can someone please explain this for me? (I don't like using formulas that I don't understand). I have attached the 2015 question as an example. (Tension is 6.53N, acceleration is 3.27 ms-2).

Also, is there a way to work out the force from 'first principles' (for want of a better word) just in case they ask a question where the formula can't directly be used? ; ie work it out using a vector triangle, cosine rule etc?

Thanks in advance.
Hi. This video should help you with calculating the force acting on the pulley-:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDF7Wjvn51Y
Reply 2
Original post by TheRandomGenius
I've seen this question come up a few times on past papers and on Arsey's model answers he uses the formula 2TCos((90 - alpha)/2) where alpha is the angle between the horizontal and the inclined plane.

The formula works but I don't really understand where its come from? Can someone please explain this for me? (I don't like using formulas that I don't understand). I have attached the 2015 question as an example. (Tension is 6.53N, acceleration is 3.27 ms-2).

Also, is there a way to work out the force from 'first principles' (for want of a better word) just in case they ask a question where the formula can't directly be used? ; ie work it out using a vector triangle, cosine rule etc?

Thanks in advance.

Watch this.
Original post by Zacken
Watch this.

Thanks - got it now.
Reply 4
Original post by TheRandomGenius
Thanks - got it now.

No worries.

Quick Reply

Latest