The Student Room Group

My boyfriend isn't in love with me

My boyfriend of 2 years told me he wasn't in love with me which really hurt because I feel like I'm in love with him (we are 17 so is it even possible to feel true love?) It came as a shock because we have a lovely relationship. He didn't say it in a horrible way, he told me he loves me but he said he doesn't feel like he can fall in love with anyone? I respect his honesty but I am so confused it's tearing me apart, I've tried to bring it up again but I think he felt really upset and guilty that he said that to me. I don't understand what this means and I don't know what to do? Will he ever fall in love with me? I really want to make it work because he means the world to me but I know I can't make someone fall in love with me.

Scroll to see replies

he said the truth it is up to u what to do, personally i think his in there for something but ur choice imo he SLIPPED up
What does falling in love even mean? It's just a label. You said you have a lovely relationship, so why are you worrying? Some people are just of that ilk. I struggle to show my emotions and I only tell my pets I love them, not humans. If he is being genuine with his words, and otherwise the relationship is fine, then I don't think it's a big deal. But that's just me, I'm matter of fact.
Reply 3
You're 17 FFS, you don't even know how to spell love. So he doesn't love you after 2 years - BIG DEAL. You have the rest of your life ahead of you - move on and find someone else if it bothers you that much. If not, stay with him and STFU. You do realise it takes people a long time to fall in love, and maybe 2 years just isn't long enough for him. You should be nurturing your relationship with him, not complaining cos he's not on the same page as you. Grow up.
Reply 4
Original post by sarkrista112
What does falling in love even mean? It's just a label. You said you have a lovely relationship, so why are you worrying? Some people are just of that ilk. I struggle to show my emotions and I only tell my pets I love them, not humans. If he is being genuine with his words, and otherwise the relationship is fine, then I don't think it's a big deal. But that's just me, I'm matter of fact.

Thank you for the reassurance, I was worried more that he wasn't happy or it was his way of saying he doesn't see me as long term. I suppose I don't fully understand love, as I said I'm only 17.
Well you're still young so he may change his mind!
But if he said that then he probably means it I'm afraid!
If he doesn't love you after 2 years then something's not right.
I'd try and confront him again and talk about it but I'm thinking that he wants out I'm afraid.
Sorry.
At least he has rold you how it is. If you wnat more than friendship, then look elsewhere.
Reply 7
Original post by asif007
You're 17 FFS, you don't even know how to spell love. So he doesn't love you after 2 years - BIG DEAL. You have the rest of your life ahead of you - move on and find someone else if it bothers you that much. If not, stay with him and STFU. You do realise it takes people a long time to fall in love, and maybe 2 years just isn't long enough for him. You should be nurturing your relationship with him, not complaining cos he's not on the same page as you. Grow up.

Perhaps I don't understand love but that doesn't limit my capability to feel it. I haven't experienced this feeling before and I merely wanted to know if this was normal for a partner to say this and I shouldn't be damned for caring about my relationship. Of course it bothers me but I won't give up on him unless I know that it cannot be and if that's so it's unfortunate, but christ have some empathy. I nurture every moment I spend with him, do not make accusations. It was not a complaint it was a reach out for advice.
Reply 8
Original post by FireFreezer77
Well you're still young so he may change his mind!
But if he said that then he probably means it I'm afraid!
If he doesn't love you after 2 years then something's not right.
I'd try and confront him again and talk about it but I'm thinking that he wants out I'm afraid.
Sorry.

This is what I feared the most but I can't suffocate him or let him stay with me out of sympathy. He did say that he loves me though, and he wants to be with me which is why I am confused? I have tried to talk about it but I don't know how, I'm too afraid of the outcome, how should I approach it?
Maybe he's just acting like he doesn't care because he knows it's driving you crazy and makes you want him more?

It's something I do all the time, when guys learn this trick they really like to abuse it.

edit: p.s: you can do the same thing to him and watch as he gives you more affection
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
This is what I feared the most but I can't suffocate him or let him stay with me out of sympathy. He did say that he loves me though, and he wants to be with me which is why I am confused? I have tried to talk about it but I don't know how, I'm too afraid of the outcome, how should I approach it?

Yeah i dont blame you.
No that wouldnt be a good thing to do.
Yeah thats confusing me too, hes contradicted himself!
Maybe just spend a day together and casually bring it up at somepoint?
Idk ive never been in a relationship before.
Original post by sarkrista112

lol, cool story bro
Original post by FireFreezer77
Yeah i dont blame you.
No that wouldnt be a good thing to do.
Yeah thats confusing me too, hes contradicted himself!
Maybe just spend a day together and casually bring it up at somepoint?
Idk ive never been in a relationship before.

Thank you, yeah I'm just going to have to be brave. I wish he could see what he means to me.
Perhaps I don't understand love but that doesn't limit my capability to feel it. I haven't experienced this feeling before and I merely wanted to know if this was normal for a partner to say this and I shouldn't be damned for caring about my relationship. Of course it bothers me but I won't give up on him unless I know that it cannot be and if that's so it's unfortunate, but christ have some empathy. I nurture every moment I spend with him, do not make accusations. It was not a complaint it was a reach out for advice.

Every day of the week people find out they are on different pages in their relationships. But people actually have some patience with each other instead of worrying "why doesn't my boyfriend love me?". The fact that he hasn't said so means nothing. Some people just aren't vocal about how they feel about another person. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.
You can't expect him to "fall in love" with you. You both have a lot of developing and learning to do.

Maybe one day, when the time is right, he will fall in love with you. It's not worth stressing yourself over at the age of 17.

All this will ruin your priorities, if you don't get your act together.

Posted from TSR Mobile
youre 17, go to bed.
Reply 16
As many other users have said.

17. You're very unlikely to be with the man you're going to be with for the rest of your life at this age... just have fun and don't take relationships too seriously.

Generally, guys at this age aren't serious about 'relationships' (and why should they? You're in school doing A-levels).
Original post by eden3
As many other users have said.

17. You're very unlikely to be with the man you're going to be with for the rest of your life at this age... just have fun and don't take relationships too seriously.

Generally, guys at this age aren't serious about 'relationships' (and why should they? You're in school doing A-levels).

here an example of what not to listen to.

My boyfriend of 2 years told me he wasn't in love with me which really hurt because I feel like I'm in love with him (we are 17 so is it even possible to feel true love?) It came as a shock because we have a lovely relationship. He didn't say it in a horrible way, he told me he loves me but he said he doesn't feel like he can fall in love with anyone? I respect his honesty but I am so confused it's tearing me apart, I've tried to bring it up again but I think he felt really upset and guilty that he said that to me. I don't understand what this means and I don't know what to do? Will he ever fall in love with me? I really want to make it work because he means the world to me but I know I can't make someone fall in love with me.
Reply 18
Original post by ckfeister
here an example of what not to listen to.

^^ Here is an example of an arrogant, insulted 17 year old.
Original post by eden3
^^ Here is an example of an arrogant, insulted 17 year old.

^^ Here an example of an aargorant, insulted person who is single/didn't work out so she thinks every relationship under the age of 18 won't work.

I'm 18 :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending