The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pushkin-simonov
How you know? Have you seen the paper? If yes, thanks

How do we prove it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Good luck all. I doubt this exam is going to be too hard.
Original post by Craig1998
Good luck all. I doubt this exam is going to be too hard.

Famous last words...
Reply 1283
Original post by Chirstos Ioannou
How do we prove it?

Don't worry about that troll.

The only things we need to prove in Maclaurin/Taylor series are the functions in the formula book (so cosine, sine, exponentials, etc.) with the exception of arctan (which, while technically you can differentiate arctan using C3 knowledge, it doesn't appear until FP3 and will not appear in FP2).

To prove, it's just the same process you've always been doing (find high-order derivatives and evaluate them).

You need not know where the Taylor/Maclaurin formula comes from.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by oinkk
Don't worry about that troll.

The only things we need to prove in Maclaurin/Taylor series are the functions in the formula book (so cosine, sine, exponentials, etc.) with the exception of arctan (which, while technically you can differentiate arctan using C3 knowledge, it doesn't appear until FP3 and will not appear in FP2).

To prove, it's just the same process you've always been doing (find high-order derivatives and evaluate them).

You need not know where the Taylor/Maclaurin formula comes from.

What about example 3 page 108?
How did you all find the image of z? Sweat there's never been an inverse matrix complex no. question before...
What do you mean exactly by finding the derivatives and evaluating them? @oinkk
Reply 1287
Original post by JamieOH
What do you mean exactly by finding the derivatives and evaluating them? @oinkk

Differentiating sine to give cosine, then -sine, etc. Then by evaluating I mean to plug 0 into them in order to put those values into the formula 😊
Reply 1288
Original post by Seytonic
What about example 3 page 108?

Yeah. That's what I mean by proving it for certain functions that we can differentiate. You could be asked to prove the Maclaurin series for e^x. It won't be worth many marks given that it's in the formula book.
Someone help please! How do you do part b? How do you know which region to shade after the transformation?
Original post by paradoxequation
Someone help please! How do you do part b? How do you know which region to shade after the transformation?

Two ways
Simply pick a z point and find its image under w. If it lies in the circle, then the region is inside the circle, otherwise it's outside.
Or, and this should help you understand it better, you can look back through your workings for the previous question and mentally replace the = with the appropriate inequalities and see what inequality you are left with at the end, it should tell you that points are either inside or outside the circle
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Two ways
Simply pick a z point and find its image under w. If it lies in the circle, then the region is inside the circle, otherwise it's outside.
Or, and this should help you understand it better, you can look back through your workings for the previous question and mentally replace the = with the appropriate inequalities and see what inequality you are left with at the end, it should tell you that points are either inside or outside the circle

Thank you!
Good luck everyone :smile:
Original post by VMaurice04
Good luck everyone :smile:

Thanks and same to you :smile:
Anybody done the IAL paper?
Original post by Zacken
Anybody done the IAL paper?

Hope it went well.
75 or 74?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Hope it went well.
75 or 74?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Eh, plugged the wrong value into a McLaurin series. Probably 72 or 71.
Original post by Zacken
Eh, plugged the wrong value into a McLaurin series. Probably 72 or 71.

Haha! I did that last year LOL!
I got 73/75 I had one wrong ter in my maclaurin and a wring differential in the part before(correct but then factored it with wrong numbers leading the the 3/4th derivitive being wrong hence the 4 th term was wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Haha! I did that last year LOL!
I got 73/75 I had one wrong ter in my maclaurin and a wring differential in the part before(correct but then factored it with wrong numbers leading the the 3/4th derivitive being wrong hence the 4 th term was wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh, got my A*A* in M/FM already so don't care at all :rofl:
Reply 1299
anyone doing IAL ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending