The Student Room Group

Weapon Systems Operator in the RAF

So i'm 17 and was looking into becoming a Weapon Systems Operator in maybe the next year or so probably after my A-Levels. I have a few questions.
1)I have flat feet, will this prevent me in anyway? (probably a silly question)
2)I've looked at the fitness requirements but i want to know from possible experience just how fit you have to be in order to pass selection?
3) On the RAF website it states that the minimum service is ''Usually'' 12 years. Does this mean that it's 12 years for definite unless you suffer an injury or something?
4) Finally,what sort of jobs after military life can you come from this role.

I've tried researching these questions but not a lot seems to come up.
Thanks
Reply 1
I can't answer #4, but for the others:

1. Flat feet are no longer a prohibiting medical issue, so no worries there.

2. Fitness will be part of your life in the forces. Aim to have a good rounded fitness, the tests and standards are all explained here: https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/how-to-apply/eligibility-check/
You don't have to be an athlete, but you must have a good level before you start, and maintain a level throughout your career.

3. 'YOUR CAREER PROSPECTSYou will join the RAF as an airman under an initial 12 year engagement. Following 4 years service, you will be eligible to apply for an extension of service to complete a pension earning engagement of 20 years service or age 40, whichever is the later, during this time. You will hold the rank of acting Sergeant during your professional training. Once you start your front-line job, and you are assessed as being capable of operating independently, you will be promoted to substantive Sergeant. Further promotion to the rank of Flight Sergeant and beyond is by competitive selection. '
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by jack.bean192

2)I've looked at the fitness requirements but i want to know from possible experience just how fit you have to be in order to pass selection?

4) Finally,what sort of jobs after military life can you come from this role.

2) The requirements you see online are the minimum standards. If you want in, you'll need to exceed these. Not necessarily by miles, but you certainly don't just want to be scraping in.

4) Don't look so much at exactly comparable jobs because, frankly, there aren't many. What you need to think about the transferable skills you'll have. You'll have been a SNCO, a leader of teams, carrying immense responsibility, you'll be highly trained, you'll have a vast background of experience that's going to be sought after by lots of varied industries.
But, don't worry now about what comes after. You might be in for 30 years. Getting in is by far the bigger hurdle than worrying about what comes afterwards. And when the time comes, lots of support is available.
Reply 3
I'm going for the same role and I am also 17, can I ask what A-levels are you doing? And what have you been doing to make you stand out?
Cheers
Reply 4
Original post by HFC26
I'm going for the same role and I am also 17, can I ask what A-levels are you doing? And what have you been doing to make you stand out?
Cheers

Which A levels you do are essentially irrelevant. As long as you have the UCAS points, you're fine.
Reply 5
Jack, which WSOp role do you fancy doing and why? If you joined today, what would you like to be doing in 10 years?

I can answer your original Q4. When a whole bunch of AEOps / WSOps were made redundant or left of their own accord post SDSR 2010, every single one had a rebirth in a variety of careers and sectors totally unconnected to their previous role as aircrew.

Quite a few went into the oil and gas sector in a number of technical roles inc ROV operator / Radio Op / Technicians / Survey vessel navigators etc etc. Some have gone into instructor jobs, others have retrained as school teachers. I know guys who have tried out the Police (one won the baton of honour) but all left after less than 3 years, as they realised it wasn't for them. A few guys have set up their own businesses, and a number have become consultants in the defence industry and other sectors. And of course a few have become Mummies, which is a very important job.

In short, every single person (who wanted a new job) opened up the opportunities for themselves. That came from the skill set they gained in the RAF, together with confidence, resilience, enthusiasm, self discipline and a self belief. There, does that answer your question?
Reply 6
Ok thanks! And just 1 more question, for a WSOp what sort of age would be best to apply? I'll be 17 1/2 in December so shall I sign up then or at the end of the school year? (This time next year) or is it worth having a year out then applying?
Reply 7
Original post by HFC26
Ok thanks! And just 1 more question, for a WSOp what sort of age would be best to apply? I'll be 17 1/2 in December so shall I sign up then or at the end of the school year? (This time next year) or is it worth having a year out then applying?

Apply when you think you've got the best chance of being accepted.

Think about how competitive the role is and the kinds of people you'll be up against. Do you think at 17.5 - the absolute youngest you can apply for the role iirc - you'll have the best shot? Do you think you'll have the experience and the evidence to suggest you've got the leadership potential they're looking for?

Quick Reply

Latest