The Student Room Group

Why is remain considered safer given the high levels of unemployment in the EU?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
And what has happened and is happening today seems to be working out just fine for the UK. Economy has outperformed FR, DE and even USA since we joined the EEC in 1973.

1465376562044.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

The trade growth and economic growth are not due to the EU:

Just imagine how much better it will be after Brexit when we rebalance our finances and end this current account deficit:

Reply 21
Original post by newpersonage
The trade growth and economic growth are not due to the EU

Maybe, maybe not. But even assuming that EU has no, or even has a negative impact economically on the UK (which it hasn't) we still outperformed...
Original post by jneill
Maybe, maybe not. But even assuming that EU has no, or even has a negative impact economically on the UK (which it hasn't) we still outperformed...

We did outperform other EU countries, especially after Maastricht. It suggests that being out side the Eurozone was a major reason. There is a nasty crunch coming with the Eurozone that was the reason this referendum was called - see http://www.discovertheeu.co.uk/
Reply 23
We did outperform other EU countries, especially after Maastricht. It suggests that being out side the Eurozone was a major reason. There is a nasty crunch coming with the Eurozone that was the reason this referendum was called - see http://www.discovertheeu.co.uk/

UKIP is the reason this referendum was called.
Original post by jneill

No, it was the Eurosceptic Tories who actually got it called. Whoever called it though, the reason for the referendum is the same: self government in the UK. All the rest is a diversion.
Original post by Rakas21
Where's the risk? The Treasury's own worst case scenario suggests a net rise in unemployment of about 400,000 by 2018 out of labour force of over 30 million.

There are many reasons to stay in the EU, a mild short term hit is not one of them.

In case anyone's wondering about perspective, 400k is around half the amount lost following the 2008 crash.
Original post by ZeroFree
What the hell does unemployment in other EU countries have to do with our safety?

High unemployment is the sign of a failed country, son. The fact that under the EU so many countries have such high unemployment rates should set alarm bells ringing.

Now repeat that back to me. I want to make sure that you understand.
Original post by TaipeiGhost
I only listed a few because I had to go to work. Do you know what that is? It's what us folks out in the real world do to earn a living. Although really, I call it work... it's more just getting in touch with the other cram school's each day and sorting out any problems, paying my staff's wages and checking out that everything is OK. Doesn't take me too long.

Pipe down with the personal insults, son or I'll have to make you stand in the naughty corner.

If I listed them all it wouldn't make the EU look any more positive, champ. I also didn't mention Croatia's 15.1%

4-5% is considered a healthy unemployment rate so by those standards you have just 7 countries with what is considered a healthy unemployment rate.
Every other country has unemployment above 6%.

So Germany and Britain's unemployment rate is low, so what? I hardly doubt that's down to the EU considering Greece, Spain, France, Portugal and Italy are failing in the EU. A handful of successes does not mean the EU boosts employment.

Now I know most people on here are students and so are a bit wet behind the ears and haven't lived in the real world yet. But it's quite simple to understand that a group such as the EU has failed if it allows any of its member states to have employment rates as bad as say, Spain's over 20%

Even France's 10% is shocking.

It is also worth mentioning that all the most heavily populated countries in the EU i.e. those with the largest populations (with the exception of Germany of course), have some of the highest unemployment rates, so yes I believe your points are valid (even though I am a naive student ;P)
High unemployment is the sign of a failed country, son. The fact that under the EU so many countries have such high unemployment rates should set alarm bells ringing.

Now repeat that back to me. I want to make sure that you understand.

What does that have to do with our safety, or our own unemployment?
Original post by ZeroFree
What does that have to do with our safety, or our own unemployment?

Do you understand what I meant by safer, son? I meant economically safer. Not safer as in if we left all the ruffians and scoundrels would have a free for all.

Like I said son, high unemployment is a sign that the EU has failed. If the EU can lead to so many other countries having such high levels of unemployment then there is a strong possibility that in the future the same could happen to Britain if we don't get out.

It's not a difficult concept for you to understand. Take your time, I can use coloured crayons if it helps.
Do you understand what I meant by safer, son? I meant economically safer. Not safer as in if we left all the ruffians and scoundrels would have a free for all.

Like I said son, high unemployment is a sign that the EU has failed. If the EU can lead to so many other countries having such high levels of unemployment then there is a strong possibility that in the future the same could happen to Britain if we don't get out.

It's not a difficult concept for you to understand. Take your time, I can use coloured crayons if it helps.

Can you explain how it is necessarily the fault of the EU that these countries have high unemployment? How would unemployment rise if we remain in the EU?

If coloured crayons help you get your thoughts across by all means use them, though I'm fine with a written response.
Original post by jneill

No, it was the Eurosceptic Tories who actually got it called. Whoever called it though, the reason for the referendum is the same: self government in the UK. All the rest is a diversion.

I think it was a panic measure by the Prime Minister to ensure votes were not lost to UKIP. On the assumption of a remain vote of 60% or so. Not thinking about the demographics of who is more likely to turn out and vote, or that by setting high expectations for a re-negotiation the fact that little was gained would harm the remain case.

Many of those voting to leave want the drawbridge pulled up in terms of migration, and if we leave and net migration reduces by only a small amount, the economic costs and all the things such as employment protection lost will not be worth it. Many of those who vote to leave will be disappointed. Nigel Farage and Iain Duncan Smith and all the other leading Brexit campaigners won't be worse off, it will be more likely to be those on low incomes.
Original post by barnetlad
...Many of those voting to leave want the drawbridge pulled up in terms of migration, and if we leave and net migration reduces by only a small amount, the economic costs and all the things such as employment protection lost will not be worth it. Many of those who vote to leave will be disappointed. Nigel Farage and Iain Duncan Smith and all the other leading Brexit campaigners won't be worse off, it will be more likely to be those on low incomes.

Many of those wanting to remain want full political union and desire to remove self government from the UK. They desire to deprive all future generations in Britain of an independent country.

Quick Reply

Latest